Matched 2017 discussion

14 views
Chapter 16-23

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?


message 2: by Lubedal (last edited Feb 14, 2017 08:37AM) (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments The book has made me feel all kinds of emotions, like sadness, anger, or happiness. I felt this way because Cassia did. The author did a wonderful job on explaining and portraying Cassia's emotions through her thoughts and actions. The author did this because she wanted the reader to feel all the things that Cassia is, to feel what it's like to go through the things she is going through, and what it's like to life the life she lives. "I sort Ky into the higher group and close the datapod as if the decision has cost me nothing at all. inside i scream. i hope i made the right choice." (Condie 288). The author has portrayed that it's hard to have your heart tell you one thing but your mind tell you another. I've been through those kind of situations before and they aren't fun. From how the author tells this story I feel like I've basically lived with cassia for a long time and I really hope everything go well for her.


message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments The mood of the story created various emotions from me such as confusions and Curiosity. This book created these emotions for me because I am confused and Curious on who she is going to love "Dose he know I am starting to have feelings for Ky" (Condie 204) .From my emotions of the book I believe the another was trying to make you feel these moods because without them the book would not be as interesting to read without incorporating Cassia love the story.


message 4: by Lubedal (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments Alyssa wrote: "The mood of the story created various emotions from me such as confusions and Curiosity. This book created these emotions for me because I am confused and Curious on who she is going to love "Dose ..."

I agree with your statement on how the mood of the story makes the story interesting. If there is was no mood and I never felt any emotion then I mostly would not like "Matched" very much.One other thing, I also felt that way about cassia's love life. It always went back and forth with Ky and Xander. It was confusing at first, trying to find out who she'll end up, with but now I have a pretty good idea.


message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments Lubedal wrote: "The book has made me feel all kinds of emotions, like sadness, anger, or happiness. I felt this way because Cassia did. The author did a wonderful job on explaining and portraying Cassia's emotions..."
I agree with you that another wants you to feel everything cassia dose and that you get the same feelings as her.


message 6: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments This book has made me feel a whole range of emotions, happiness, gladness, sadness, wonder, and many more feelings. The author shows this because it makes you understand how Cassia is feeling and understand her hardships and how it's like to live in a world like hers. The author tries to create the mood to further enhance the story and make you more into the characters thoughts and feelings, by feeling them yourself. The author does a very good job with this.


message 7: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments Alyssa wrote: "The mood of the story created various emotions from me such as confusions and Curiosity. This book created these emotions for me because I am confused and Curious on who she is going to love "Dose ..."
I agree with this because often the book left me with lots of confusion and curiousness. Cassia doesn't understand her feelings fully so it leave us to be curious and confused about. The author tries to create this mood.


message 8: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments This book has made me feel a range of emotions such as gladness, happiness and sadness. The author displays this by saying "Dose he know I am starting to have feelings for Ky" (Condie 204) . This shows sadness and happiness. For example, I feel sad for Xander because Cassia has feelings with Ky when they are suppose to be together. On the other hand, I feel happy for Cassia because she likes someone else instead of Xander. The author tries to create this mood and make more into the characters thoughts and feelings. The author does a great job trying to create a mood that's makes you think.


message 9: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments Kendall wrote: "This book has made me feel a whole range of emotions, happiness, gladness, sadness, wonder, and many more feelings. The author shows this because it makes you understand how Cassia is feeling and u..."

I agree with you about the whole mood thing. Also, the author does a great job trying to confuse and mess with your brain. For example, they society wants Xander and Cassia together but Cassia has other feelings for Ky.


message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments In Matched I feel happy, sad , angry, confusion, and many more. The author, Ally Condie ,did a great job of creating the mood because I felt everything the characters felt. “Thank you I say, and then I kiss him right on the lips and I mean that kiss. Even though I’m falling for Ky it is impossible not to love Xander for everything he is and everything he does. (Condie 201) Along with Cassia I was a little guilty but did not think it was a wrong decision. Ally created the mood so you could follow along and understand everything that was happening on a personal level, she is taking real life situations and making them a little different so they are unique but realistic enough to understand and follow along. I think that she did a great job creating the mood and it helps you follow along in the book.


message 11: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments The book made me feel so many moods/emotions. Some moods include sadness, happiness, anger, and I also felt sympathetic. Some parts of this book made me cry because it was very sad. One part was when Cassia and Bram got their artifacts taken away. This was the only thing they had left to remember their grandfather and to get that taken away, I can't imagine the heartbreak they went through giving up the artifacts. The author was very good at making me feel this way. One way she did it is through Cassia's emotions and thoughts and dialogue. "Bram doesn't pretend to hide the tears in his eyes now." (Condie, 203). Once I know or can picture someone crying, I cry, and he's only like 10. I can't imagine how he felt. It breaks my heart. I feel that the author was trying to portray this mood at this point in the story.


message 12: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Alyssa wrote: "The mood of the story created various emotions from me such as confusions and Curiosity. This book created these emotions for me because I am confused and Curious on who she is going to love "Dose ..."
I also agree with you, the author plays on your emotions to keep the book going and help you understand. Like in real life you are not always sure about your decisions and cant make up your mind and that is one mane way Matched ties into the real world.


message 13: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "In Matched I feel happy, sad , angry, confusion, and many more. The author, Ally Condie ,did a great job of creating the mood because I felt everything the characters felt. “Thank you I say, and th..."

I agree with you, the author did a really good job with helping to follow along. I also don't think that Cassia was making a wrong decision and I also felt guilty. I think you did a good job capturing the way that Ally Condie wanted the book to make the readers feel.


message 14: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments The book as me feeling mixed emotions. I feel very eager and sad. I feel very eager because I want to know what she is going to do about her feelings for Ky because she would have to go against the Society to carry out her feelings. I also feel very bad for Cassia because she can’t carry out and follow her feelings for Ky and she has no control over what happens in her life. She has no choice or opinion whatsoever. Her artifacts from her grandpa got taken away from her, those were some of the remaining things she had left of him. The author makes you feel this way because they have no control over their lives and it’s very sad. “‘Where would it end, Cassia?’ she says, her voice patient. ‘Would you say next that people should be able to choose how many children they have, and where they want to live? Or when they want to die?’” (Condie 246). The Official is saying how unreasonable it is to be able to choose your life. I don’t think I could handle everyone choosing my life for me.


message 15: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments What type of moods have been created in the story so far? There have been many moods that have been created such as happiness,sadness and angst. The main mood I have been feeling is mysterious. I have been feeling this mood because there is many instances and nail biting situations where I wonder whats going to happen. For example when Cassia tries hiding Ky's artifact she worried the will find it. She thinks to herself "They don't know Ky's artifact exists, so hopefully they won't miss it,"(Condie 201) This makes me wonder why are the officials taking away everyone's artifacts? Why are they so important? Hopefully my questions will be answered soon. I cant imagine being in Cassia's shoes and having a very controlling society and not living your own life.


message 16: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "In Matched I feel happy, sad , angry, confusion, and many more. The author, Ally Condie ,did a great job of creating the mood because I felt everything the characters felt. “Thank you I say, and th..."

I agree with you Ally Condie does do a good job creating the mood and explaining the character's feelings. You did a good job explaining it.


message 17: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 4 comments Matched created many feelings for me such as fear, anger, sadness, joy and excitement. I feel this way because of the things Cassia feels and the things that happen to her. When Cassia feels happy I feel happy. When she is sad I feel sad. We do this in real life too. When a good friend of yours is sad about something that happened over the weekend you will feel sad too. When Cassia must meet with the official during school she thinks, "Thank goodness. Is that why she's here? But what about the Infraction?"(Condie 244). It made me relieved and worried. I was relieved it wasn't one thing but worried about the other things that could still be a problem just like how Cassia felt. I know I would be worried quiet a lot if I lived in Society. There are so many rules!


message 18: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments Maia wrote: "What type of moods have been created in the story so far? There have been many moods that have been created such as happiness,sadness and angst. The main mood I have been feeling is mysterious. I h..."
I agree it would be very hard to live in that society. I would get very frustrated having everyone telling me what to do. I would want choose what happens in my life and not let the Society or anyone do it for me.


message 19: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Bonelli (sibonelli) | 3 comments This book made me feel nervous and sad for what was going to happen next, at some parts annoyed, and other times happy. I was sad when they took Ky away and it made me nervous when when Cassias friend had a panic attack at the theater and Xander had to give her his pill to make her relax. One time i was annoyed is when the group was at the gaming place and a girl came up and started talking to Ky and watching him play. Cassia got very jealous and said "his hands are not yours to watch" and that kind of made me feel uncomfortable and annoyed. It made me happy when Cassia was happy with Ky but also sort of mad because she was keeping this big secret from Xander and he deserved to know right away so he wasn't liking her when she liked someone else. I think the author was trying to make me feel happy, nervous, and sad, but not annoyed and mad. Overall, the story made me feel about 5 main emotions.


back to top