Matched 2017 discussion

Chapter 8-15

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

message 2: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments The characters in Matched seem real and believable. They seem exactly like people in today's society, just living in a completely different world and under different circumstances. I can relate to their predicaments very much so because living in that world would be so hard because everyone expects perfection and nothing to ever go wrong, and the people have to follow that also. They remind me of some people I know because they all have hardships that nobody knows of. Everyone I know has gone through something that maybe not everyone or anyone knows of because they remain keeping what seems to be a perfect life. I think that most if not all of the characters in Matched have something in their life that is not perfect, and that's not what the society is striving for so they don't make it noticeable.

message 3: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Bonelli (sibonelli) | 3 comments The characters seem real and believable. Cassia, the protagonist, is matched with her best friend. At first she thinks they're perfect together, but then she see's someone else's face and starts to like the other person, Ky. She has to chose between two good people who are very different. Everyone has to make hard decisions in their life and Cassia is going throughout that in the book. I cannot relate to Cassias specific problem but i have had to make difficult decisions before. It doesn't relate to anyone i know that i'm aware of but i'm sure it happens.

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments The characters seem believable because they go through ritualistic humans emotions such as love,confusion and disbelief. The explain of this is when Cassia is having trouble picking her love of her life. She is having trouble because she gets matched with her best guy friend but she might not like him as much as she dose Ky. Cassia predicament I can not relate to because I never been in love or let alone in love with two people.

message 5: by Lubedal (last edited Feb 14, 2017 08:36AM) (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments The characters in this book are really believable, it feels like they are real people. Me personally can't relate to there predicaments. Although I do have a friend that was in a similar situation as Cassia. They both where in a relationship, but then started falling in live with someone else. " does he know that i have started to have felling for Ky?" (Condie 204). here the author shows that cassia is already matched with someone but then finds another person she starts to have feeling for. So in my experiences this kind of thing really can happen in our world. "Matched" with its plot and characters are really life like.

message 6: by Lubedal (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments Kendall wrote: "The characters in Matched seem real and believable. They seem exactly like people in today's society, just living in a completely different world and under different circumstances. I can relate to ..."

I agree with your post about how the society is trying to cover up part of people who are perfect because it will work out better for them. I mean no body is perfect in this world and I think it's crazy how "the society" is trying to make everything perfect. they are asking for the impossible. It's weird how much people in our world think like the society and believe everything should be perfect, but in the real world nothing is ever perfect. that's just not how life is like.

message 7: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments The characters in this book are believable because they go through human emotions such as, confusion, disbelief and the most difficult one is love. There society assumes that everyone has to be "perfect" and nothing will go wrong. For example, Cassia, the protagonist, is having a hard time loving Xander when her true love might be Ky (Condie 8-15). I can't relate to Cassia predicaments but i had to make some hard difficult decisions before. I think every character in Matched has something in life that isn't "perfect". I predict that Cassia will find out who her true love is but the society will get involved and something will go wrong.

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments Helena wrote: "The characters in this book do seem real and a very believable. They are just like normal people. The only difference is that they have a society who wishes everything perfect. I can relate to thei..."
I agree with you that they are like normal and you did a really good job on your wording and detail.

message 9: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments Kendall wrote: "The characters in Matched seem real and believable. They seem exactly like people in today's society, just living in a completely different world and under different circumstances. I can relate to ..."

I totally agree with you. I think the characters in the book Match are believable and real. I believe that everyone of the characters in Match has something in life that isn't "perfect". I think there will be a conflict between the society vs characters. I believe that the society will inter fear the decision that Cassia makes about Ky or Xander.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Yes, I think that the characters are real and believable because they have problems of their own that they don't necessarily share, just like all of us, they also engage in all of the emotions a normal person outside of their community would experience. In Matched Society knows a lot about you because they have a place for everybody to keep an eye on you if you ever decide to break a rule. “There is no rules about kissing, Cassia. We’re Matched.” (Condle 147) This quote shows that they have to worry about rules and always be alert of what is going on around them, but they also have a Match that they have to marry and don't get to choose or take there time getting into a relationship. Yes, this does remind me about a lot of people because they are so worried about not having a boyfriend or girlfriend to stop and enjoy the time they have right now because no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. This can be stressful for Cassia and everyone else in the community because they are worried about not liking there Match or falling in love with someone else because they know that they are always being watched and judged.

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Havoves wrote: "The characters in this book are believable because they go through human emotions such as, confusion, disbelief and the most difficult one is love. There society assumes that everyone has to be "pe..."
I agree for sure, I also think that the society will disagree with her decision or she will change her decision based on how she thinks the Society will react. Either way there will a hard decision to be made and it might just ruin her relationship with the other.

message 12: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments The characters do seem real and believable. Most of them are like us today, where we only strive for perfection, no mistakes can be made whatsoever. The only problem is... we're human. We make mistakes. But, the Society makes this world seem like it's perfect. They almost brainwash you of what is really going on. Take Cassia for instance, she saw two faces pop up on her microcard, she gets it all fixed, but deep down she knows something is wrong, but she doesn't want to admit it because the Society is "perfect" so nothing should be wrong. Maybe something is wrong, maybe Cassia is falling for Ky, but we'll never know because the Society is making people think that it's perfect. Personally, I can't relate to these predicaments, because I have never fallen in love with 2 guys before, let alone fall in love with one guy, and nobody I know is really going through these same circumstances.

message 13: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments The characters are very much so like humans. They have emotions and do regular human things like eat and sleep except for the fact that the way they do things are more strict. I can’t relate to what Cassia is going through because I have never been in love. Cassia is having feelings for Ky and he isn’t supposed to be matched with anyone. “No hiking. Which means no Ky” (Condie 162). I don’t relate to the way Cassia feels. I also don’t think that anyone I know isn’t allowed to be with someone they have feelings for. Overall, I don’t relate to Cassia and don’t think I ever will understand what she goes through without living in the society she lives in.

message 14: by Maia (last edited Feb 10, 2017 01:57PM) (new)

Maia | 8 comments The characters do seem believable and real in match. This is because they acknowledge that they make mistakes for example when Cassia and Em were talking about Em's match Xander was listening to their conversation and Cassia realized when he walked in and she said to her herself " I'm embarrassed. He definitely heard me.(Condie 166) Another reason is, Cassia tries to choose who to like between Ky and Xander this probably happens in real life. I can also relate to her in some instances. This makes her feel like a real person. The society also seems believable because it reminds me of World war 2 because Hitler and his group wanted a perfect society and a perfect race kind of like what the society wants, so it seems believable. I hope the society realizes what they do isn't always right.

message 15: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments Simone wrote: "The characters do seem real and believable. Most of them are like us today, where we only strive for perfection, no mistakes can be made whatsoever. The only problem is... we're human. We make mist..."
Good job writing the response. I agree the characters do seem real and not fiction. And I also agree that something could be wrong with the society, I hope we will find out soon.

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 4 comments The characters in Matched seem real. They go through things that many people in real life have to just in a different setting. Cassia doesn't remind me of myself because I would probably do things a little different than her. She does make you think of a real person though because she acts like a real person and does things a real person might do. Many people have difficult things they have to do. Every one has a secret. Some times a few people know about it like in Cassia's case Ky and her father. Cassia will have different things she must go through and different secrets because she does not live a life like ours today. She seems real though because we know that if we were in that setting we may make the same decisions.

message 17: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments Maia wrote: "The characters do seem believable and real in match. This is because they acknowledge that they make mistakes for example when Cassia and Em were talking about Em's match Xander was listening to th..."
I agree, eventually the society must realize what they are doing is wrong. It isn't right for they to decide how are life goes. We have our own opinions. It would invade our inalienable rights because we have the freedom to say what we want and choose our own path.

message 18: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments Kendall wrote: "The characters in Matched seem real and believable. They seem exactly like people in today's society, just living in a completely different world and under different circumstances. I can relate to ..."

I agree with what Kendall wrote. She said that it is like people in our scoiety today and I agree. People nowadays try to hard to be perfect, but like I said in my paragraph, they are just human, and humans make mistakes. There is nothing we can do about it.

message 19: by Anna.Marshall8 (new)

Anna.Marshall8 | 2 comments The characters seem very real, but it is a little weird how obedient they are; no one seems to cause trouble as much as someone would today. People to break the rules, though, for simple little things. The characters definitely remind me of myself or others, giving someone so much trust, it could be too much. Because it can be hard to trust someone for a long amount of time.
The characters do seem very much like people today, but like how Kendall wrote, They are just in a very different world.