Matched 2017 discussion

Chapter 1-7

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments The setting of this book is unique because Cassia lives in a house in Mapletree Borough, in the futuristic Oria Province of society. This is the future version of the United States somewhere between modern Arkansas and Montana. In this type of society they try to convince all living citizens that life is perfect and nothing is a problem, when in reality there is a huge problem happening that "the society" is hiding. Everything in Mapletree Borough seems perfect and there's seems to be no problem, which will probably affect the plot later in the story when something goes wrong and nobody knows how to cope/fix it. This is how the setting affects the plot.

message 3: by Lubedal (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments The setting of this book is unique and enhances the story because it is set in the future of our world with a "perfect" society where you don't have to worry about anything. In chapters 1-7, it somewhat explains how the society works and how people live. you learn that the society matches you with your live long partner, decides that everyone will die at their eightieth birthday, and more. They plan your entire life out for you. By making this book revolve around this society that the author created is very creative, and enhances the story by making a "perfect" society that isn't so perfect to live in. At least I wouldn't want to live in a world where other people plan out my life. I want to live my life the way I want to, not how someone tells me too.

message 4: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future with high technology that finds your match or soul mate. In the setting they are supplied with tasteless bland food and are only a certain amount of calories. Also the society is very tight with curfews and you will supposedly die at the age 80. In society today it wouldn't go that well. People would probably rebel today and would want to pick their own partner instead of having a machine do it for them. Society would be very different today if it was what it is in Matched.

message 5: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments The setting of this book is unique because it takes place in the future where everything is to be perfect. They have a perfect society and according to the society nothing can nor ever will go wrong. They are very strict with rules and laws, like curfews and who you will love and when you will die. The people who live in this world don't get to take control of their own life. The society made out everyone's life plans already. This can cause a very big conflict because maybe someone wouldn't want to have their life planned out for them, and they want to control their own life, but they can't. What if they don't want to die on their 80th birthday because they want to see more of the world? What if they want to choose their life long partner, not a computer? None of that can ever happen because the Society persuades everyone to think that their world is perfect, when in reality it's not.

message 6: by Lubedal (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments Simone wrote: "The setting of this book is unique because it takes place in the future where everything is to be perfect. They have a perfect society and according to the society nothing can nor ever will go wron..."

I agree with your statement that "the society persuades everyone to think that their world is perfect". I believe that later on in the book we will learn that the world that Carissa lives in isn't as perfect as the officials say it is. I also think that we will learn more about the society behind the scenes. what do you think will happen later on in the book?

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future in the Province of Oria where the society has strict rules to make this world a perfect place.There rules controls who you love,where you work, when you die, and how to live your everyday life.Making it so you can not step out of line. This enhances the story because planning out everyone lives should not happen because people want freedom of choice.People don't want to be matched with somebody they don't know or love.They also don't want to work somewhere they don't choose.if I was in this time I would not want my life planned out for me when I have no choice in what my future is going to be like.Would You like to live in this time?

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments Helena wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes places in the futuristic version of the present. They seem to have a perfect world and a perfect society. The society has strict rules toward ever..."You did a good job explaining what life is like in this book.

message 9: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future in Maple tree Borough in Montana. Cassie and Bram are two characters who are siblings (Condle 3-10). In this type of society they try to convince all citizens that they need to be "perfect" and have good manners everywhere they go. Everyone in Maple Tree Borough seems to be happy and their are no problems. I think this will change later in the story affecting the plot later on.

message 10: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments Kendall wrote: "The setting of this book is unique because Cassia lives in a house in Mapletree Borough, in the futuristic Oria Province of society. This is the future version of the United States somewhere betwee..."

I love how you explained the setting and gave reasons . I agree where it takes place and how everything is "perfect" in the society. Great Job!

message 11: by Amaya (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments The unique thing about the setting is that it takes place in the future. The Society decides who you are best fit to be with. They choose your "match" which is who you are meant to be with. They have very specific times and dates for everything. They choose what your career is, who you marry, what you eat, your curfew, what you wear, and when you die. They reference how they choose when you die in chapter 7 (Condie 69). I think it would be nice to know when you die, but I wouldn’t want my whole life to be chosen for me.

message 12: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments Maia wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future with high technology that finds your match or soul mate. In the setting they are supplied with tasteless bland food and are on..." I agree, I think society would not accept a computer choosing who they spend the rest of their life with. People would protest and want to choose their own careers. I personally wouldn't want to have technology decide my life for me.

message 13: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments You did a good job explaining the setting and what society is like.
I also agree I would't want my life to be picked out for me I want to choose my own. Especially I would not want someone basically controlling it 24/7.

message 14: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments The setting is unique because it is in a futuristic setting in a town called Maple Tree Borough, in the Provence of Oria. This community is said to be perfect, every one has to have etiquette manners and follow strict rules. In life everything is planned out for you and everyone else; when you die, who you marry, and what will happen along the way. "Not lucky, Cassia. There is no luck in the Society." (Condle 18). This shows that you have little control with your life. I think that the "Society" is not being completely honest and there is something bigger going on.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Kendall wrote: "The setting of this book is unique because Cassia lives in a house in Mapletree Borough, in the futuristic Oria Province of society. This is the future version of the United States somewhere betwee..."
I agree with you, I also believe that something will go wrong and whatever the Society is hiding or not saying will come to light and the community will not be happy.

message 16: by Sidney (new)

Sidney Bonelli (sibonelli) | 3 comments What's unique about the setting is that is shows what the United States could be like. In the book Matched, the government or the "society" controls everything from who you get married to to when you die. It takes place in a Province that exists where the United States used to be. On the outside of the government controlled "perfect world" that most people live in, there are others who are not as involved. They live in the outer provinces and some people who live there are called aberrations. Aberrations have either committed a crime or someone in they're family has and they are now not considered full citizens. They lose privileges such as getting married. The setting enhances the story by making you wonder what's going to go wrong because everyone in the society thinks the system is faultless.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Havoves wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future in Maple tree Borough in Montana. Cassie and Bram are two characters who are siblings (Condle 3-10). In this type of society t..."
I totally agree with you, the Society is trying to force rules and expectations on the the citizens and I think that latter on in the story things will get fishy and people will get suspicious. I think some one will over hear something the Society is talking about and it will throw a red flag because they think everything is perfect.

message 18: by Pastrunk (new)

Pastrunk | 2 comments The setting is unique because it is a futuristic period in time. Cassia, the main character of the story, Lives in a tight society based on people being "Matched" with their life partner. Finally Cassia has turned 17, Now it was her turn to be matched with her life partner. Cassia was soon called up to be matched, She ended up being matched with her life partner.

message 19: by Pastrunk (new)

Pastrunk | 2 comments Amaya wrote: "Maia wrote: "The setting of the bookisuniquebecause it takes place in the future with high technology that finds your match or soul mate. In the setting they are supplied with tasteless bland fo..."

I like your explanation and representation of the story

message 20: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments Maia wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes place in the future with high technology that finds your match or soul mate. In the setting they are supplied with tasteless bland food and are on..."
The way you explain the setting is very detailed and gives a good and very accurate representation. I like all of the details you included.

message 21: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 4 comments The setting is unique because it takes place in the future were people try to be perfect. They believe that the Society is perfect and never gets things wrong. "The Society doesn't make mistakes." (Condie 36). They trust them to make many of there choices for them. The Society chooses your meals, you job, and your match or soul mate. It would be hard for me to trust them.

message 22: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments Helena wrote: "The setting of the book is unique because it takes places in the futuristic version of the present. They seem to have a perfect world and a perfect society. The society has strict rules toward ever..."

The way you explained the book was very good and detailed, and I agree with you. Your last sentence where you said that society might not be able to control everyone was super true. The society is getting bigger and these people are only human, so they have to make a mistake sometime.

message 23: by Anna.Marshall8 (new)

Anna.Marshall8 | 2 comments Stacy wrote: "The setting is unique because it takes place in the future were people try to be perfect. They believe that the Society is perfect and never gets things wrong. "The Society doesn't make mistakes." ..."

I totally agree with your comment. It would be very hard to trust someone with so much, and they trust society with making all the decisions in their life. Who you spend the rest of your life with, what you eat, what you work for, just about everything. But once they make a mistake, the trust will be lost, and the society could collapse.