Challenge Corner discussion

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
This topic is about Old Man's War
Let's Buddy! - Science Fiction > Old Man's War by John Scalzi->Starting February 5th, 2017

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce-- and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine--and what he will become is far stranger.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Picked this up from the library today! Excited to get to it. :)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) I am too! I've been in such a sci-fi mood lately!!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I really want to read more sci-fi. This will be the push I need. And I've heard so many good things; hopefully it's as good as I've heard!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Started and I'm really liking it so far. Through chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) I just finished the first chapter! There was a ton of info there, but I am curious to see where it goes! I'm surprised at how funny it was too.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments It's really funny. I hope that keeps up. I'm hoping to read more tonight.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Just read chapter 4. (view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through part one. (view spoiler)

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through chapter 8. (view spoiler)

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through chapter 10. (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Just finished chapter 3. (view spoiler)

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through part two. Not really sure what I'm feeling about this book. It started out pretty well, but nothing has really happened.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Finished chapter ten: (view spoiler)

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Kaylin wrote: "Finished chapter ten: [spoilers removed]"

Pretty much how I feel at this point. The idea is really cool, the humor was nice to start with but now just makes me cringe. I don't have any connection with any of the side characters, and not much with John either.

message 16: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments The initial introductions of the characters was pretty strong for me, but since then nothing has been done with them.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Finished Chapter Eleven: (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) And I agree with you. There were some really strong introductions, but NOTHING has been done with them. I feel the same way about a lot of this technology as well...

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Finished Chapter Thirteen: (view spoiler)

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through chapter 14. (view spoiler)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Just finished it! (view spoiler)

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Finished. Sad to say that I didn't really enjoy this. The beginning was really interesting and the ideas were fascinating, but after the first introductions of the characters and such in the first 20-30% of the book nothing happened. Overall I am very disappointed with this book. I don't think I will be continuing this series, but I would like to try another Scalzi book.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) It really was filled with fun characters and ideas. I wish the plot had been more concise and had more direction.

I feel like we aren't having a lot of luck lately with BRs, CP! :P

message 24: by C.P. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes, more direction would have been great. I could have overlooked my issues with the plot had their been any character development, but that was quite lacking.

I know! Fingers crossed that When We Collided won't follow the same path!