Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > anyone know of any new series coming out?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P (new)

P R | 8 comments I've noticed that a lot of series are older/are coming to an end. Anyone know of any new series that are starting sometime this year? Thanks!

message 2: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jan 27, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments It's a tough year for finding new ones. There quite a few self pub and indie, but you don't know if they're junk or not.

Here's some that I think will be good.

Borrowed Souls by Chelsea Mueller Graveyard Shift by Michael F. Haspil Souljacker (Lily Bound, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn To Catch a Stolen Soul (Djinn Haven, #1) by R.L. Naquin

message 3: by P (new)

P R | 8 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "It's a tough year for finding new ones. There quite a few self pub and indie, but you don't know if they're junk or not.

Here's some that I think will be good.

[bookcover:Borrowed Souls|3121308..."

Thanks! I'll check these out. I hope there will be more maybe in the upcoming years...

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments I hope so too.

Big publisher houses have decided UF is out. So if some of the authors who are going self pub work out, we might see more. Which would be nice.

message 5: by P (new)

P R | 8 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I hope so too.

Big publisher houses have decided UF is out. So if some of the authors who are going self pub work out, we might see more. Which would be nice."

Oh no! I didn't know that. What's the new in? This is such a wonderful genre, I hope it doesn't die out.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Sci-Fi, high fantasy, and mysteries seem to be it. Dark thrillers.

It's easier to see both Sci-Fi and high fantasy sweeping through YA.

message 7: by P (last edited Jan 27, 2017 07:01PM) (new)

P R | 8 comments Ahh, I can see that. Well, hopefully UF will make a comeback eventually. It seems like there's an ebb and flow of when genres are big. Until then, we'll have to grasp for whatever we can. :/

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Priyanka wrote: "Ahh, I can see that. Well, hopefully UF will make a comeback eventually. It seems like there's an ebb and flow of when genres are big. Until then, we'll have to grasp for whatever we can. :/"

Yeah there is. A genre has a "big boom book" then the publishers think they need to crank as many of those kind as possible.

It always comes back.

message 9: by Cari (new)

Cari Ray | 7 comments I'm sorry, I'm sure this is a stupid question, lol. But what UF genre?

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Urban Fantasy genre.

No worries. ^_-

message 11: by Cari (new)

Cari Ray | 7 comments Wow. I didn't even realize there were so many different sub genres with fantasy. I just looked it up to "try" to figure out the difference and was stunned to see all of them. Just wow. Considering I love to read (and read several books a week) I didn't realize how stupid I was about reading/books until I joined a few groups lol.
Thanks!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Oh, yeah. Like right now Magical Realism is on the rise, but it could easily pass for UF and UF for it.

It can be overwhelming. Especially with so many genres merging to create new fun fusions.

For instance I LOVE Romantic Fantasy, but I normally don't like romance fantasy. Ha-ha.

message 13: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 28, 2017 03:24PM) (new)

Loriidae Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Oh, yeah. Like right now Magical Realism is on the rise, but it could easily pass for UF and UF for it.

It can be overwhelming. Especially with so many genres merging to create new fun fusions.
..."

So is magical realism in a like a contemporary modern day world but with witches etc?

message 14: by Book Blondie (new)

Book Blondie | 15 comments Cari wrote: "Wow. I didn't even realize there were so many different sub genres with fantasy. I just looked it up to "try" to figure out the difference and was stunned to see all of them. Just wow. Considering ..."

What romantic fantasy books do you like? Trying to find more series in that genre.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Actually some historical ones are also considered magical realism.

Magical realism is also slang for magic realism, but book nerds seem to like the sound of magical realism.

The "official definition" is: a literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy.

Or: "Magical realism, magic realism, or marvelous realism is a genre of narrative fiction and, more broadly, art (literature, painting, film, theatre, etc.) that, while encompassing a range of subtly different concepts, expresses a primarily realistic view of the real world while also adding or revealing magical elements . . . "

I think the main difference is that UF has vampires, werewolves, and other magical creatures.

Witches and sorceress seem to be found in both genres though. Personally it's kind of a judgement call and all about marketing.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Book Blondie wrote: "Cari wrote: "Wow. I didn't even realize there were so many different sub genres with fantasy. I just looked it up to "try" to figure out the difference and was stunned to see all of them. Just wow...."

Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Dagger-Star (Epic of Palins, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2) by Lynn Kurland A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1) by Amanda Bouchet Rising Fire (Stone Circles, #1) by Terri Brisbin

Maria V. Snyder's fantasy books can also be considered it as well. LOVE her stuff.

message 17: by Book Blondie (new)

Book Blondie | 15 comments The Tairen Soul series is one of my favorites! Thanks for the suggestions :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Book Blondie wrote: "The Tairen Soul series is one of my favorites! Thanks for the suggestions :)"

Yep. There's also a list for the genre on goodreads.

message 19: by kankan (new)

kankan | 5 comments Priyanka wrote: "I've noticed that a lot of series are older/are coming to an end. Anyone know of any new series that are starting sometime this year? Thanks!"

Check out Elemental Paladin series by Montana Ash!!