Ender's Game 2017 discussion

Chapter 8-11

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Vivian (last edited Feb 06, 2017 08:09AM) (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to create these moods so we can better connect with the characters in the story.
(Viv H)

message 3: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 7 comments Some moods I think the story shows are suspense and drama because throughout the story ender has to constantly handle problems like going to almost half of all of the teams and having to deal with bonzo and others bent on harming ender.

message 4: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 7 comments Vivian wrote: "The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to ..."

I like the types of mood that are shown here like the words sad and stressed to show what areas some of the things ender has to go through.

message 5: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments I like the moods the book sets because it says a lot of how much stress thees kids are getting from the adults. I feel this way because i don't thinks its right for the kids not to have a normal childhood. Yea i think the author was making the mood for us. The author did it to show us how easy are life is compared to theirs.

message 6: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments Chase wrote: "I like the moods the book sets because it says a lot of how much stress thees kids are getting from the adults. I feel this way because i don't thinks its right for the kids not to have a normal ch..."

I love the way you describe how much the kids are going through, and I might have overlooked that a bit when writing my post. I also agree that our lives are so much easier than theirs.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments I think the moods of the story would be stress, sorrow, and fear, but there is also that sense of triumph when Ender ruins (literally) Bonzo and makes sure he won't bother him again, just like he did with Stilson. Yes, I believe that they tried to do this because it makes you feel like Ender is winning and getting stronger as he progresses through the school.

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments The book created a intense and suspenseful mood that was mixed with curiosity. I feel this way because of how much these adults rely on these kids. I feel like the author was trying to create the mod. At the end of chapter 11 it talked about how Bonzo was thirsty for blood and wanted revenge on Ender (Card 195). This created the mood that reminds you there will probably be more conflict that comes.

message 9: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments Chase wrote: "I like the moods the book sets because it says a lot of how much stress thees kids are getting from the adults. I feel this way because i don't thinks its right for the kids not to have a normal ch..."
I agree with you that these kids must have a lot of stress do to the fact that the adults rely on them. And that not only their country but their family, friends, and world rely on them. I also believe how these kids should have a normal life. Instead of all this pain.

message 10: by Lea (new)

Lea | 6 comments The book has created the sense of suspense, as well as being sad at some parts and shocking at other parts. Even the victories are made to seem like they aren't very victorious, like with his fights with Bonzo and Stilson. I'd say that throughout the book, Ender is depressed for about half of it, and that affects our perception of the story, since it's from his point of view. However, this doesn't make it any less sad at the sad parts. Descriptions of what's going on in a character's head or surroundings, or lackthereof, can tell us a lot about the character and their predicaments and how they feel. Most of the time, I would say the author did try to created the mood for us, and did so by including those descriptions.

message 11: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments The book has created the mood of tension. I feel this way because everyone in this book is so serious. It seems as if they only have one goal and will do anything to achieve it. I believe the author is trying to crate this feeling because it does create suspense and makes you want to keep reading. "You dumb as a thumb," said one of Enders roommate (Card 104). This is how he is creating that feeling of tension and of him having no control of what is happening. The author is doing a great job with the mood and plot this far in the book.

message 12: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments The book has created a sense of sadness. Given that Ender can't reply back to Valentine and he feels very alone. But the book has also made a sense of victory, Ender finally got Bonzo to stop bullying him. The author has created this mood by making Ender feel alone being young and a leader.

message 13: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments Matt wrote: "I think the moods of the story would be stress, sorrow, and fear, but there is also that sense of triumph when Ender ruins (literally) Bonzo and makes sure he won't bother him again, just like he d..."
I agree with what you have said. They are starting to lighten up the mood and make us feel like Ender is starting to win. Do you think the author will continue to follow this path?

message 14: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments Vivian wrote: "The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to ..." I can agree that the mood of the story in its current state to be sad and stressful. Ender, being a leader, feels that people rely on him too much and he feels stressed.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments The mood is very somber, creepy, and disturbing. Ender experiences various threats in his virtual game. These become more and more creepy over time. For example, he comes to a playground with other children. The children mock him and laugh at him. Then they transform into vicious wolves and rip him apart and eat him. When he comes back to life, Ender kills the children one at a time and drags them to a river and disposes of their bodies. Later Ender gets into a fight with some other kids in the battle room. He rips the ear off of one of them sending blood spraying everywhere, and kicks another in the groin repeatedly. All these terrible things he does are ignored by the adults, who put: collision in null gravity, as the cause of their injuries in the medical file, essentially letting Ender off the hook for the incident. The adults rewarding him for these things is just sick and only adds to the disturbing tone of the story. They practically encourage bloodshed and violence because they want these kids to grow up to be murderers. It makes you wonder who the real villains are. The story's mood is perfectly portrayed in the book and I can tell that the author intended it to be this way.

message 16: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments Vivian wrote: "The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to ..."

I think this is true, but at the same time I feel like it goes into a lot of detail regarding what the adults are really doing to these kids. Look at Ender's older brother Peter. He is a killer, he enjoys killing and is good at it too. He threatens to kill Valentine and Ender multiple times, and according to them, he wasn't joking. That's what the people running the schools are doing to these kids, deliberately. I feel like the movie completely missed this aspect of the story.

message 17: by Steven (last edited Feb 14, 2017 08:54AM) (new)

Steven | 4 comments The book created a mood of tension for me because everyone in the book is so serious. I believe the author is trying to create this feeling because I usually do not read many page turners but this book makes me want to read more and more. "You dumb as a thumb," said one of Enders roommate (Card 104). This quote is how he is creating the feeling of tension.

message 18: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments The book created a mood of tension and suspicion for me because everyone in the book is so serious and not very relaxed. I think he is trying to create this feeling because it just makes you turn the page and not stop wanting to read it.

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments I feel like the mood for this story is kind of sad, but also suspenseful. I say it's kind of sad because it's about Ender leaving his family to join the military at six years old. But, it's also suspenseful because it keeps you at the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next.

message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments Ryan wrote: "The mood is very somber, creepy, and disturbing. Ender experiences various threats in his virtual game. These become more and more creepy over time. For example, he comes to a playground with other..."
I agree with Ryan because the author always leaves a feeling of tension and suspense making the reader always wonder if Ender will get hurt and if they will win the war.

message 21: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments The book creates a mood of calmness yet also full of worry and sadness. Ender had a rough life and so it adds to the feeling of sadness and empathy for him, and people have wanted to injure him for always being so good and so it makes the reader worry about when and if Ender will get attacked or hurt in any way.

message 22: by Dalton (new)

Dalton Delay | 4 comments the mood is kinda sad but also intense, its sad because all these kids pick on him not knowing that he could be the one to win it all. I think that once he shows them that they will all be impressed.

message 23: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments The mood the author has created in this book is tension, aggression, and envy. Tension is created when Ender tries to defeat other armies in battle with his own technique. Aggression is created with Rose the Nose attempts to make Ender afraid of him and Ender doesn't gets scared, making Rose the Nose mad at Ender and Ender mad at Rose the Nose. Envy is made when Ender gets first in army rankings. All his launchy friends envy him because of how good he is. Bonzo trades him because of his disobedience, and by accident, Ender gets traded to an army that is better than salamander, Rat army. Ender is then the best new recruit, and 7-year old, that Rat army has every seen, hes even better than some of the kids older than him which creates even more envy.

message 24: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments Zane wrote: "The book created a mood of tension and suspicion for me because everyone in the book is so serious and not very relaxed. I think he is trying to create this feeling because it just makes you turn t..."
I agree with the tension, but not suspicion. Every army memeber now knows who Ender is and that he is a force to be reckoned with. Everyone is tense because they want to become better than the next up comer, and no one can seem to be better than Ender.
The tension is a highly attributed mood throughout the story.

message 25: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments Coy wrote: "I agree with what you have said. They are starting to lighten up the mood and make us feel like Ender is starting to win. Do you think the author will continue to follow this path?"

No, I think the author will change what the mood feels like right at the end when you least expect it. I think there will be a dramatic plot twist in the story. I think that we will learn something else that will change what we think of the characters.

message 26: by Reid (new)

Reid | 7 comments I feel like the mood is now is tension because Ender is starting to have a lot of responsibility and they other students are getting jealous. Ender has also started getting more respect because he is winning but he is also starting to hate the teachers for what they are doing to him. I think the autor is making the mood like this so later in the story he will defeat the buggers and win the war and because of Demosthenes and Locke there will be peace on Earth and everybody will win.

message 27: by Zach (new)

Zach Helberg | 7 comments The main mood that I have felt throughout the entire story has to be unfairness. It constantly seems as though everything has been against Ender from the beginning (which was obviously planned) but even still, he manages to succeed and excel at everything they throw at him. Even when they do completely new and unheard of things, like give him an army of new recruits and even put him in two battles in one day, he manages to succeed and do better than anyone else could have. For example, when Graff gives Ender the notice that he is to do another battle in the same day, it is only ten minutes before it starts, and the other team was given twenty minutes notice and were already inside by the time they made it. And even still, Ender lost very few and managed to win the battle by a long shot. All in all, I think it is a good tactic for the author to use to make the readers really think about how Ender will be able to handle each new situation, and adds to the general suspense of the story.

message 28: by Zach (new)

Zach Helberg | 7 comments Ethan wrote: "The mood the author has created in this book is tension, aggression, and envy. Tension is created when Ender tries to defeat other armies in battle with his own technique. Aggression is created wit..."

You pretty much nailed the biggest situations in this chapter. I agree with all of the reasons for the moods that you listed and think that the way you described them was great. The only thing that I would change would be to maybe add in some more pronouns, because I kind of felt like I kept reading the same names over and over. Otherwise though, that was a great response.

message 29: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments The book created a intense and suspenseful mood that was mixed with curiosity. I think that because over time it shows that the stress is building on him. he is getting annoyed with the games since they are unfair and he is straying from his true self.

message 30: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Zach wrote: "The main mood that I have felt throughout the entire story has to be unfairness. It constantly seems as though everything has been against Ender from the beginning (which was obviously planned) but..."I agree and it showed that he was getting annoyed with that but that only make him work harder. it showed that nomatter what he could win.

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hecht | 7 comments I think so far the mood in the book has been kind of unfair because it says that commanders usually get about three months of training before they have their first fight but Ender only got 3 1/2 weeks before his first fight which I think seems really unfair already then in the book it says that they usually have battles about every two weeks but Ender had at least one battle a day and towards the end of the section he even had two battles in one day which is highly unfair if you are only supposed to have one in the time of two weeks. I think the author is trying to make you feel this mood because with all the things he has the characters doing that is against Ender it is very clear that the author wants you to feel that is very unfair for the characters in the book.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hecht | 7 comments Zach wrote: "The main mood that I have felt throughout the entire story has to be unfairness. It constantly seems as though everything has been against Ender from the beginning (which was obviously planned) but..."

I strongly agree with Zach because he is feeling the same way I am about the book because literally everything that is happening in this book is against Ender and makes everything unfair against Ender, but Ender still does better than everyone else at everything even though all the odds are against him and everything is unfair

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments Jackson wrote: "Some moods I think the story shows are suspense and drama because throughout the story ender has to constantly handle problems like going to almost half of all of the teams and having to deal with ..."
I agree, there is a lot of suspense and drama throughout this story. Ender has to deal with stuff like Bonzo, and leaving his family, and also commanding his own team. This is one of those stories where you just don't know what's going to happen next.

message 34: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 5 comments Zane wrote: "The book created a mood of tension and suspicion for me because everyone in the book is so serious and not very relaxed. I think he is trying to create this feeling because it just makes you turn t..."

I felt sad that Ender felt sad. He kept hurting so many people. It happened in pretty much every chapter. I'm glad that Ender just writes now.

message 35: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments Jonathan wrote: "I think so far the mood in the book has been kind of unfair because it says that commanders usually get about three months of training before they have their first fight but Ender only got 3 1/2 we..." I agree with him because the story has not really been fair for ender. Like when before he went to the school he was always treated unfairly by his brother.

message 36: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments I feel pity for Ender. Because I feel every body puts pressure on him to do more then he can. I don't think the author meant for the mood to be pity. I think she did this by always putting a lot of pressure on Ender.

message 37: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments I think one of the moods is pity. I think the mood is pity because Ender is always thinking about misfortunes with those people when he should be focusing on himself. I think the author is trying to create this mood because it is going to lead up to something that is more important which I think is going to be a choice of some sort. I think the author creates this pity feeling when she refers back to his life back on earth and how he doesn't want to be like peter.

message 38: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments Vivian wrote: "The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to ..."

I agree. I think the mood is sad and depressing too. Ender seems so sad during this book, he seems sad because he is away from is family. Also he was depressed he didn't want to be like his brother peter because Ender thinks his brother has a mind of a killer.

message 39: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments Vivian wrote: "The moods I have felt while reading this book are sad, stressed, and scared in a way. I felt this way because of the way the book describes the characters actions. I think the author was trying to ..."
I agree with Vivian that some of the moods in the book are sad, stressed, and scary. But their is also love, happiness, and other moods in the story.

PrestonThecommunist | 7 comments I felt a great feeling of suspense almost like something was gonna snap making me want to read and turn the page. For me it is a rarity if you can get me to do that with a novel.

message 41: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments Cole wrote: "The book created a intense and suspenseful mood that was mixed with curiosity. I think that because over time it shows that the stress is building on him. he is getting annoyed with the games since..."

i agree. especially when ender got into a fight in the shower and hit the kid and he fell on the edge of the shower and hit his head.