Our Shared Shelf discussion

Chat and Meet for "Country Here" > Feminism in Malaysia

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Khoo | 3 comments Stopped by this discussion topic and saw that my country's not represented yet so ayyy! :)

message 2: by Winston (new)

Winston | 180 comments How is the current state of women, culturally, politically, socially, in family hierarchies, economically, and in education? I'm not really aware of Malaysia, because basic American ignorance :)

message 3: by Bookish (new)

Bookish Currently reading Sex and World Peace and with a bit of additional research found out that Malaysia is unfortunately one of those countries that still legalizes marital rape. Is there any awareness of this in the general public?

message 4: by Bookish (new)

Bookish Hi Kyrisha, What's your sense of any action, if at all, that's going on to try and change the laws or bring awareness of the issue? What do womens groups focus on over there? From what I read this sort of thing tends to cluster with attitudes towards domestic violence, female genital mutilation, and other threats towards women's bodily integrity and safety. I hope you don't mind all the questions!

message 5: by Benarji (new)

Benarji Anand | 153 comments @Bookish Only in certain parts of Malaysia. We are a majority Muslim nation, at large. Therefore, we have two court system, Federal (common law legal system) and Shariah (islamic laws which serves exclusively for Muslims). While marital rape is not an offense under the Shariah law but there have been strong protests from the citizens on the matter, especially those who advocates for human rights. That being said, we still are having trouble to define rape as according to Section 375 of the Penal Code, which actually serves as a window for marital rape.

message 6: by Benarji (new)

Benarji Anand | 153 comments @Winston I've provided two links which will give you an understanding of the situation in Malaysia for women, which isn't exactly bad but with plenty of rooms for improvement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women...
http://www.wao.org.my/news_details.ph...

Thanks for your concern. Enjoy reading!

message 7: by Bookish (new)

Bookish Benarji wrote: "...That being said, we still are having trouble to define rape as according to Section 375 of the Penal Code, which actually serves as a window for marital rape ..."

Thank you, I looked up the statute and it was informative.

message 8: by Notash (new)

Notash Batool (iamnotashbatool) | 53 comments I think we all should also talk about "feminism in Pakistan"shouldn't we?