Livingston Parish Library discussion

General > Bad Romance

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments So, we're coming up to February and the Valentine's Day craze has started. Hearts everywhere and chocolate as far as the eye can see. Even we at your local libraries have prepped our craft supplies and our romance readers advisory lists just in case our patrons are in the mood for love.

But this post is not about love. It's about when romance goes wrong. Have you ever read a book where you couldn't believe two characters wound up together? Or thought characters were completely wrong for each other? Wondered what that author was thinking when he or she wrote that ending and broke your power couple up forever? This is the place to air your grievances! Tell us all about your worst (fictional!) romantic pairings and not-so-happy endings below.

Samantha “Sam” A (samalvarez823) | 31 comments Hi Emma,

Hope you're having a great week!

Instantly, the first couple the comes to mind is Scarlett & Rhett from Gone with the Wind. Rhett was the "perfect" man if one ever existed and she treated him so very bad. Yet, he pursued and put up with her antics for years and years. And finally, finally, when she realizes she does indeed love him, that famous line emerges, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"..

You wait the entire book for her to realize what an idiot she is and when she does it's too late!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments Hello, Sam!

It's going well! I'm working on all kinds of cool library stuff for you guys. I totally feel you on Rhett and Scarlett. This is why I'm not a fan of Gone with the Wind.

My least favorite couple of all time has got to be Ron and Hermione from Harry Potter. There is absolutely no way this couple would make it past college, let alone into adulthood. She is way too smart to put up with his nonsense. Not to mention that they seem to bring out the absolute worst in each other. I can cite examples from every single book. There is no way that's true love. Therapy? Broken hearts? Awkward 10-year high school reunions? Most definitely!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments Anybody else have a least-favorite couple of all time? Or read a series that they just couldn't get enough of until the author did something you absolutely hated? Share all of your book-related grievances here!