Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood Born a Crime discussion

Born a Crime - Trevor Noah

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenna Agreed! I haven't read much about apartheid and it was an interesting perspective. Funny stories mixed with serious issues, he does it well.

I am on an Africa reading kick lately, just finished Homegoing which was amazing!

Martina I loved it. Thought it was easy to follow and very well written. It gives an interesting perspective to a world people know little about. There were some heartbreaking parts but there were a few times I actually laughed out loud. The Hitler story in particular. I was sorry to finish it. I'd highly recommend it to others.

message 3: by Efo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Efo Dela I enjoyed this book quite a lot! Even the "sad" parts were narrated in a humorous way. The chapter on Hitler was quite hilarious.

Masosote  Masosote Really well crafted, Trevor puts the humor in it all. I loved it, he told a good story and the what a brilliant true story. Sometimes I just go back to re read some portions and laugh.

Marilyn All of the above... and I hope he writes a follow-up memoir, including how he got to America & has done so well.

Damaris Trevor squeezes humor into this book, about a terrible childhood, like he squeezed under the gate to sneak out with friends.The main characters are stepdad Able,Trevor's mother,Andrew and Trevor,While this is technically in South Africa, it is similar to Philly. Trevor’s home and school could be anywhere. Trevor talks about McDonalds, I can relate to that.Trevor is a child, he is nine in the beginning of the book. The story takes place during Apartheid, it was 1993 when he was nine. He tells stories from when he was 5 or 6, how he would dig a hole under the gate to go and play with the other kids in the neighborhood. This relates to me as a young person in Philadelphia, I feel that the streets teach young people more street and ghetto than intelligent stuff, and that there is more to the world than that. Trevor states, “Language, even more than color, defines who you are to people.” When trying to get people to take you seriously, as a young person in Philadelphia, we try to speak properly, which means to sound like we are white people, because the way they talk is seen as more correct.“My mom did what school didn't. She taught me how to think.” As a young person in Philadelphia, I feel like the schools here are preparing me for my future, but they can’t teach me everything, so I count on family to teach me some things, too. This book give readers the chance to see Trevor Noah’s experience in a deep, and cleverly crafted way. I highly recommend this book for teens and up. After reading this book, I question why young people in Philadelphia should be able to relate to Trevor’s struggles. I would have hoped that we could have it easier.There were a lot of very serious subjects, and I personally would have preferred it to be funnier.