Play Book Tag discussion

January 2017: Bonus Admin Tags > The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - 3 1/2 stars (librarian)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Jan 27, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

Kelly | 804 comments The story of Henry and Clare in The Time Traveler's Wife was different than anything that I had read and it was hard to put down. Henry is a time traveler. When traveling he is sometimes put into bad situations; while in others he visits important parts of his past or even goes back to visit Clare as she was growing up. One of his journeys that I especially liked was when Henry goes to watch his parents with him as a child. An emotional one for him was when Henry views a car accident where his mother dies.

The story is told from both Henry and Clare's points of view and the characters mature over the years. Clare becomes an artist and Henry is a librarian. Clare is understanding of Henry's time travel situation; although she is frightened and frustrated by it also. Henry is always trying to stay one step ahead of whatever he faces. There was more to Henry, since he faced the most challenges. I felt I got a better glimpse of real Clare when she was younger. A few minor characters that I thought the author did an especially good job creating were Gomez and Celia. Their flaws made their personalities and they stayed true to them through the book.

Initially I was intrigued with how the author approached the story in a non-linear way. However, after awhile the large amount of the moving from date to date in the book started to be distracting. To me this may have prevented Clare's character from being further developed later. I enjoyed the book though. It had both funny and sad parts; and you routed for the characters. Some smaller time travels were for background purposes with longer stretches given to more important timeframes either in the present or in another time. However, personally I would have been more interested if the author jumped around through time less.

message 2: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments I only gave this one 3 stars as well. I really liked the concept of the story and I did like the characters. But, I despised the ending. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 804 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I only gave this one 3 stars as well. I really liked the concept of the story and I did like the characters. But, I despised the ending. [spoilers removed]"

I thought that also.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments Only 2 stars from me. I was bored by it.

LINK to my review

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I loved this book, one of my favorites.

message 6: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Diane wrote: "I loved this book, one of my favorites."

I loved it, too, Diane. I cared about the characters and thought her take on time travel was intriguing and unique.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments I rated this the same as you. Good. 3.5 stars. Good, but nothing special.