Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Here goes nothing! Jennifer's 2017 Plan

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 19, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments 1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 Truly Madly Guilty
2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view) All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
3. A book you meant to read in 2016 Big Little Lies
4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E" Insignia
5. A historical fiction The Nightingale
6. A book being released as a movie in 2017 Wonder
7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title Betrayals
8. A book written by a person of color Americanah
9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list Cinder
10. A dual-timeline novel Behind Closed Doors
11. A category from another challenge; A book you haven't read since high school Like Water for Chocolate
12. A book based on a myth American Gods
13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors The Piper's Son
14. A book with a strong female character City of the Lost
15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland) And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer
16. A mystery The Shadow of the Wind
17. A book with illustrations The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
18. A really long book (600+ pages) A Suitable Boy
19. A New York Times best-seller A Man Called Ove
20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading The Maze Runner
21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read One Foot in the Grave
22. A book by an author you haven't read before Sisters One, Two, Three
23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
24. A book written by at least two authors Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
25. A book about a famous historical figure The Invention of Everything Else
26. An adventure book The Lightning Thief
27. A book by one of your favorite authors Damaged
28. A non-fiction Night
29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) - check all the editions Origins
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books Red Queen
31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre Taking Charge
32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle) We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families
33. A magical realism novel The Enchanted
34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere The Forgotten Garden
35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty Throne of Glass
36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee The Fifth Season
37. A book you choose randomly All the Bright Places
38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature Finn
39. An epistolary fiction The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
40. A book published in 2017 A Darkness Absolute
41. A book with an unreliable narrator The Screwtape Letters
42. A best book of the 21st century (so far) Clockwork Angel
43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold) We Have Always Lived in the Castle
44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next"The Brightest Star in the Sky
45. A book with a one-word title Flawed
46. A time travel novel Outlander
47. A past suggestion that didn't win; A book recommended by a friend/family member Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
48. A banned book The Diary of a Young Girl
49. A book from someone else's bookshelf More Than This
50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition One Hundred Years of Solitude
51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) Otherworld Secrets
52. A book set in a fictional location Legend

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 27, 2017 01:03PM) (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments I finished putting my list together! What a task. I look forward to getting through these books. I tried to choose at least a few that are out of my comfort zone. This should be a fun year of reading. :)

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Americanah is on so many people's lists. I really want to try to incorporate that into my challenge this year.

I found Hillbilly Elegy an extremely interesting read. Good luck with your challenge!

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Katie wrote: "Good luck with your list, Jennifer. I really enjoyed A Suitable Boy when I read it last year. It's long, but moves at a fair pace. Have fun!"

I recently listened to a podcast from Australian radio about it. It sounds incredible!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments I picked Sisters One, Two, Three as one of my Kindle free reads. My list is no where near complete, so maybe that will end up on mine too! I also just picked up A Man Called Ove. I heard good things about that read. Good luck!

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Katie wrote: "Good luck with your list, Jennifer. I really enjoyed A Suitable Boy when I read it last year. It's long, but moves at a fair pace. Have fun!"

I am glad to hear you say that. It is rather long so I was some what second guessing my choice