All the Books! discussion

The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories
This topic is about The Opposite of Loneliness
Archive - Past Group Reads > The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
The Opposite of Loneliness Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world’s attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation.

Marina Keegan’s star was on the rise when she graduated magna cum laude from Yale in May 2012. She had a play that was to be produced at the New York International Fringe Festival and a job waiting for her at the New Yorker. Tragically, five days after graduation, Marina died in a car crash.

As her family, friends, and classmates, deep in grief, joined to create a memorial service for Marina, her unforgettable last essay for the Yale Daily News, “The Opposite of Loneliness,” went viral, receiving more than 1.4 million hits. She had struck a chord.

Even though she was just twenty-two when she died, Marina left behind a rich, expansive trove of prose that, like her title essay, captures the hope, uncertainty, and possibility of her generation. The Opposite of Loneliness is an assem­blage of Marina’s essays and stories that, like The Last Lecture, articulates the universal struggle that all of us face as we figure out what we aspire to be and how we can harness our talents to make an impact on the world.

Start Date: February 1st, 2017

Brie | 569 comments I have this waiting for me at the library. I have to say I don't usually gravitate towards this area but am interested to read it.

message 3: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Mine actually came in the other day! So I can start Feb 1st :) I'm intrigued how this one will be for sure. It's only like 4-5 hours long.

message 4: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments My library doesn't carry it! WTH

Brie | 569 comments Brandy wrote: "My library doesn't carry it! WTH"

Do they give you the option to request it? My library's ebook website has a form you can fill out to request a book. 99% of the time they are able to get the book, but every once in a while they can't.

message 6: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
NO! I'm sorry brandy! I hope you can find it.
I think only some libraries do that though.. my last library me, but my new library doesn't have that option :(

message 7: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments I'm going to see if the library in my mom's county has it's because then I can get it through hers

message 8: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Excited to start this one today!

message 9: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2535 comments Apparently we don't get this book in UT! I tried 3 different counties, nothing.

message 10: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Nooo! That's crazy!

message 11: by Brie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brie | 569 comments Mine is at the library waiting for me!

message 12: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
It's a real quick listen - 5 hours. I'm hoping to knock it out at work today.

message 13: by Brie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brie | 569 comments I'm about half way, it's a good read. I wonder what she would have written had she not died.

message 14: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Right? So she passed away in 2012 in a car crash.. Charles Scribner was the one who published her essay in 2014. I definitely looked her up a little..

message 15: by Brie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brie | 569 comments Sara wrote: "Right? So she passed away in 2012 in a car crash.. Charles Scribner was the one who published her essay in 2014. I definitely looked her up a little.."

Me too! I was a bit obsessed with knowing about her!

message 16: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3890 comments Mod
Hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one!