What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction set in 1920's-ish coming of age story about woman with facial birthmark growing up on a farm, and her much prettier sister.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia (jmaek) | 3 comments The main character is skinny and tall, with a facial birthmark, who feels ugly. Her younger sister has chestnut hair and is curvy and popular. The older sister gets sent to live with an aunt in paris(?) for a while and I think gets paid for sex.. Goes back to farm/ranch at some point with newfound confidence. Discovers makeup that hides her birthmark, but barely wears it by the end of the book. Finds love, but maybe rejects it in favour of independence. Her sister also has a sexual awakening but falls pregnant, and the book ends with her shotgun wedding.

Sorry this is vague. Title may have something to do with snow / winter, but maybe not.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Is 1920s the time the novel was set, or when it was published? When did you read it? What country/region is it set in?

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (jmaek) | 3 comments I think it was set in the 20's ish.. But honestly, it could have been way later. I remember one of the characters trying on a 'tennis dress' which seems to be 20's/30's fashion. No idea when it was written, but I read it at least a decade ago. I'm pretty sure it was set in America, or perhaps Canada. Possibly England, but unlikely.

I have strong vivid memories of certain parts of this book, but most of it is just vague. The cover had some kind of ranch on it, with maybe a horse and a girl? In that style of hand drawn covers.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Julia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (jmaek) | 3 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Julia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"
Still looking - fingers are still crossed!