The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The Harry Potter Books by J K Rowling

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 19 comments J K Rowling’s Harry Potter Series
The series took the world by storm. Her first book, “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone”, was real literary magic and enmeshed the reader. Her next two books were not that “magical”, but nevertheless still continued to enthrall the reader. Her balance four books were “ordinary” books. However, by then the reader was thoroughly hooked and continued to read till the very end of the very last chapter of the 7th novel.
I was one of those readers!

message 2: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 19 comments Harry Potter: Book or Movie?

The Harry Potter movies were magnificent and many came to know Harry Potter through them. Most of them never cared to read the books!
However, though I liked the movies, I liked the books much more. The "magic" of the books was not there in the movies. Moreover, it is difficult to condense in a movie all the stuff contained in a whole book.

message 3: by Terrence (new)

Terrence Perera (terrenceperera) | 19 comments Some of the Main Characters in the Series

Harry Potter is, of course, the hero of the series, the boy destined to finish off Lord Voldemort, the villain of the series.

Hermione Granger is the main heroine of the series. Though she comes from a "non-magical" family, she is a “know-all” of all things magical! Her knowledge of magic helps Harry a great deal in his quest to vanquish Lord Voldemort.

Ginny Weasley can also be termed a heroine of the series. She plays a vital role in the second book, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". And, of course, she eventually marries Harry Potter.

Ron Weasley is Harry’s best friend and takes part in all his adventures, together with Hermione Granger.

Draco Malfoy is a “villain” of the series. He baits Harry continually throughout school and then, as an adult, he becomes one of the "dark lord's" supporters. However, at the very end he does appear to repent of his ways.