Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > YA fantasy recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Hello everyone,

my sister is 13 years old and enjoys reading YA fantasy. However, at the moment she is kind of embarrassed reading about people kissing, but mainly about reading about people having sex etc. I personally find it very hard to find novels that are not driven by some kind of love triangel or in which there are no scenes being too obvious. Do you have any recommendations? She has read Percy Jackson and Artemis Fowl so far (and a lot more, but those are the books she especially liked). I thought about Six of Crows maybe, but there is no german translation yet.

Thanks for your recommendations :)

message 2: by Lynne (last edited Jan 26, 2017 11:00PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 321 comments Juliet Marillier's Shadowfell Trilogy has a couple of scenes with kissing and two characters lie in bed in the second book but they don't go too far. It's only a brief scene and the rest is action. Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier

Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky trilogy is similar. There's a scene that indicates that the two leads are about to go there but it's fade to black. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

Down a Lost Road is the only book I've read in its series but there's nothing like that in it. Down a Lost Road (The Lost Road Chronicles #1) by J. Leigh Bralick

If she doesn't mind sci-fi, my trilogy has love but no sex scenes. One scene in the third book with the couple in bed but no descriptions of anything.
The Heir (Verindon, #1) by Lynne Stringer

message 3: by Chevron (new)

Chevron | 8 comments The Immortal Secrets of Nicholas Flammel - Michael Scott (it's been a couple years but I don't think it has much of a romantic storyline)

message 4: by Veda (new)

Veda (vedareads) | 39 comments At the time of my Percy Jackson & Artemis Fowl obsessions I really enjoyed the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. The series follows a 12 year old girl named Meggie, who's father can read books into existence. There is very little romance (no kissing or sex) but very action packed. It's a super cute& fun book. Also, it has a special place in my heart because it was the book that got me into reading. :)

message 5: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 135 comments Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (Theodosia Throckmorton, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

^I thought that series was kind of great. Not much in the way of romance, especially with the mains. It's also based on Egyptian mythology, so feels a little fresher than some fairies/elves alternatives. No clue if there's a German edition or not though/

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica Talon by Julie Kagawa excellent book and series starter! A must read!

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) | 150 comments Anything by Diana Wynne Jones!
My favourite is Howl's Moving Castle :)
Graceling was also amazing.

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 1 comments what about harry potter? Didn't read these both were popular with boys in the house Eragon

message 9: by Beverly (last edited Feb 06, 2017 02:00PM) (new)

Beverly | 76 comments Your sister will love this classic series: The City of Ember The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau The People of Sparks (Book of Ember, #2) by Jeanne DuPrau The Prophet of Yonwood (Book of Ember, #3) by Jeanne DuPrau The Diamond of Darkhold (Book of Ember, #4) by Jeanne DuPrau

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 76 comments And she will also love this series: Bones of Faerie Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1) by Janni Lee Simner Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2) by Janni Lee Simner Faerie After (Bones of Faerie, #3) by Janni Lee Simner

message 11: by Nigel (new)

Nigel | 9 comments The Oracus Series - Your sister will love it :-)

Oracus The Lavorian Rider (Book 1 of 3 in the Oracus Series) by Paul Gaskill Oracus The Emerald Pairing (Book 2 of 3 in the Oracus Series) by Paul Gaskill Oracus The Fate of Pharia (Book 3 of 3 in the Oracus Series) by Paul Gaskill

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 27 comments one of my favorites is Fable Haven by Brandon Mull

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω | 188 comments I haven't read these yet myself (though I keep meaning too), but I think they're void of "scenes" Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques The Secret Country (The Secret Country, #1) by Pamela Dean (this one I own but haven't gotten thru it yet. It's kinda similar to Chronicles of Narnia though I think).
Of the books I've read she couldn't go wrong with The Dark Is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper series, also Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1) by Garth Nix as well as any of the Once Upon a Time series Once Before Midnight / Golden / Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey . Most all of them are very decent retellings, and clean. Hope this helps :)