Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 8 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Would you agree that Jack tends to run away from his problems a lot, instead of face them head on?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I have noticed that a lot. Jack doesn't like to face his problems, he likes to run away from them and hope they kind of fix themselves. When he was fed up with his father, Tom, what did he do? He left town and everyone he cared about behind and moved to the city. When everyone found out what happened between him and Sally, what did he do? He ran away to Mexico and was drunk the whole time.

Now he is paying for always running away. His best friend Bill despises him because he feels like his best friend abandoned him(rightfully so), his wife and his daughter are only God knows where, and his sister is really angry with him(although she's warming up to him).

It seems like after Jacks conversation with Bill in the Home Depot parking lot, he's starting to understand all the bridges he's burned. Instead of having people there for him in his time of need, he's pretty much alone because he pushed everyone away. He knows he needs to mend those bridges he burned and prove to his loved ones that he's truly sorry.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I do agree with that. I hadn't picked up on it, but your examples make sense. Running does seem like the easiest thing to do in the short term, but not worth it when it finally catches up to you and you have to make it right with everyone - if you get the chance. I felt so bad when Bill mentioned that his wife had died and he tried to get a hold of Jack and never received a response back. Hopefully he will be able to repair that relationship for both of their sake. It's not good for Bill to be carrying around that anger and hurt.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments It sure does seem like Jack has a bit of a track record for running. I do understand that there are times when walking away is a better solution instead of getting into a fist fight or something, but more often than not.....walking away tends to find it's way back into your life. It seems like Jack is trying to be more of a better person by facing these ghosts that have been in his closet. Sometimes, no matter what we say or do, a relationship can't be what it once was; but there are times when forgiveness takes place and the relationship can grow into something beautiful again. I hope that will be the case for Jack and Bill. Poor Bill =( I think he just needs time and for Jack to show in small ways that he isn't the same selfish jerk.
On a side note of the book! I hope that poor old lady's roof gets fixed! I have a feeling that Jack will be up there doing something he said he would never want to do. Roof work! We shall see.....

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I was thinking the same thing. Poor thing getting swindled like that. My friend's mom fell for the scam "this is your grandson and I'm in jail and need bail money right away." She said she knew she should check, but just panicked in the moment that her grandson would go to jail so she sent the money. I had a talk with my parents about it. It can happen to anyone.