What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction, two sisters raised by eccentric aunt after mom's suicide. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie | 4 comments I read this book in 2016 and its fairly new however it isnt a modern age setting. I would guess it was set in the 50 or 60s.
It begins with a fathers dying in a train wreck. It deraiks into a lake in their small town. He and the other local men were returning home and many of them died (I think).
The widowed mom grieves for a while but eventually recovers and raises her daughters. One leaves the small town has two daughters and then returns (mother is dead at this point). She commits suicide by driving her car into the lake.
The daughters are left with thir aunt (s). I think there was two. One is a hoarder. As the girls grow up one seems to be like her eccentric aunt. The other is invited to live with another family on town. So she can have a normal life. I think their is even a house fire.

I cannot figure out what the name is nor the author. Hopefully someone else read it and can help.

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie | 4 comments Please forgive my typos. I am on my phone and not able to fix them easily. So sorry!

message 3: by Marie (last edited Jan 27, 2017 10:50AM) (new)

Marie | 4 comments I FOUND IT!! Sorry, I'm just excited to not have to think about this anymore, haha. It was consuming my book reading time.

The book is Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

Now to figure out how to shelve it.

ETA...just realized I don't have to shelve it :-)

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments So glad you were able to find your book :D

Could one of the Mods please shelve this?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33315 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Marie. Here's the link - Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie | 4 comments I'm new to this...was I supposed to post a link? If so, I'm sorry I didn't.

message 7: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Marie wrote: "I'm new to this...was I supposed to post a link? If so, I'm sorry I didn't."

A lot of people have problems posting links when on their phones so it's ok if you weren't able to :D
I believe Kris added the link when shelving your book as Solved.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Housekeeping (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marilynne Robinson (other topics)