CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2017 > w/o January 27 to February 2, 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Hi everyone... we can say so long to January and welcome to February this week. There has been a lot of great conversation about our non-fiction resolution reads and the monthly read, Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. We can look forward to a black history challenge and our monthly pick Half Blood Blues starting in February.

What has everyone been reading? What are you looking forward to in February?

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jan 27, 2017 04:56AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2055 comments Good morning readers! I finished The Invisible Library last night, which was one of the books I received in my book box a couple of weeks ago. It took me a while to get into, simply because it's so fantastical, but it was a whole lot of fun once I stopped questioning everything.

With the hope of completing the January nonfiction challenge (I set a goal of 3 books), I am also reading The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment. I've heard so much about Eckhart Tolle I feel compelled to read at least one of his books. He also lives in Vancouver apparently. I had no idea.

I finished listening to Seraphina this week. I'm using that one for the bingo YA square. I found myself mixing up this book and The Invisible Library a little as I had the two of them on the go at once and both have a strong fantasy element.

I am now listening to After the Crash for my in-person book club. I'm also excited that we are holding our inaugural meeting of a children's book club this weekend. A few members of my book club have similarly aged kids, so we are giving it a try. The book we are discussing (along with themed crafts, snacks, and games) is The Chocolate Touch.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 548 comments I managed to finish my third non-fiction book to meet my goal of three for January. I'm currently reading The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton and Swing Time by Zadie Smith. I have The Piano Maker by Kurt Palka loaded on my phone in the Kobo app but I haven't started it yet. Likely will crack it open over the next week.

message 4: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Friday everyone!!
This week I finished In the Darkroom and Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When Mother Knows Best, What's a Daughter To Do? A Memoir. The former is heavy on history & the latter heavy on humour, but both are about the authors' dysfunctional relationship with their parents.
I'm now reading Books for Living, a great book to finish off the non-fiction challenge this month. I am really enjoying it. I'm also putting more books on my TBR, surprise!!
I set out to read 1 non-fiction for the challenge, but I'm now reading book #4! I'm really missing my fictions though :) Can't wait to read Half Blood Blues for February. I also have to read Only Daughter and Small Great Things for my in-person club and another group on GR.
Enjoy your weekend!!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 940 comments This week I finished Mister Monkey, which was an okay read. I was surprised to find that this one had chapters showing the characters' different perspectives of the same story. Usually I'm a sucker for that format, but this one didn't quite hang together for me.

I'm almost finished with Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. I fear I'm not enjoying this as much as others have, but I will wait to finish and then look at the monthly read discussion before saying more.

I continue to read for the Tournament of Books. I've got High Dive on the go in audio. This is a novel based around the bombing of a hotel in Brighton, England, in 1984 (Thatcher assassination attempt). I saw this author at a book festival last year and am happy to finally be reading this one. I'm enjoying it a lot, and I knew nothing about this bombing prior to hearing about this book. I've also barely started The Nix.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments Good morning!

So, while I didn't formally join the non-fiction challenge, I did lurk around and looks like I'll be finishing three!

I did read Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History, which I mentioned last week. I've also nearly completed A Long Way Home, which is a shocker of a read about a little Indian boy who got just plain LOST, and then adopted out to Australia. The book then follows his remarkable experience of finding his lost home and family by obsessively pouring over Google Earth images for clues. Crazy and true story!

I have also started The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet. I'm only 60-ish pages in, but it's a neat follow up to two similar books I've read in the past two months: Up Ghost River and also Boundless: Tracing Land and Dream in a New Northwest Passage. This "immersion" is giving me a much more full picture of issues of climate, aboriginal culture and issues and politics. I think I'll try to continue this theme throughout the year. It's also a testament to how important books are! How could this information get into my head otherwise!?

I did read one fiction book this week, Sleeping Giants from the Canada Reads long list. Aliens, humans, intelligence -- it's all there. Outside my comfort zone, but really quite cool! I think it would spark some new and refreshing conversation on Canada Reads -- something completely different!

message 7: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments I have been diving into Richard Wagamese this week.
I finished One Native Life and am now into Ragged Company I just love his writing.

I finished Cereus Blooms at Night which is a beautiful story-and it would fit into Black History month. It is on the CBC list of 100 books that make you proud to be Canadian, and has an LGBQT theme, so easy to fit into your Bingo Card.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments @Allison I read The Long Way Home recently but under an alternate title (movie-tie in) Lion. Obviously not an author by trade, however a fascinating tale!

This week I read And After the Fire which was ok. I found that you really had to be interested in classical music to appreciate the story. Also, the jacket markets it as a historical thriller but I beg to differ. It was decent but not suspenseful or riveting enough to be deemed a thriller IMHO.

I've just started The One Man. I think it is a more pop-fiction type book but the subject is WWII. So many WWII books for me lately. But last week's Sleep - was definitely a departure from that theme.

Also looking forward to giving Rebecca - a surprise book that I received for Christmas - a whirl sometime soon.

@Heather(Gibby) - loved Ragged Company - so glad that you are enjoying that one too. :)

message 9: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments I have had a bit of a lighter reading week this past week.

I finished re-reading an Agatha Christie, The Mystery of the Blue Train, which was a fine pause.

Then I read a pair of books of verse (both, unexpectedly, about Afghanistan too!) that I really appreciated - first I Am the Beggar of the World: Landays from Contemporary Afghanistan, which was fascinating, and then Pink Mist by Owen Sheers, a verse drama about 3 working class boys who join the British army and go to Afghanistan. It blew me away!! I read Resistance by Sheers a couple of years ago, an alternative history novel in which Wales is occupied by Nazis, and I really liked it. I will definitely read more by him.

Am now working my way through A Year of Living Generously: Dispatches From The Front Lines Of Philanthropy, which is fine and deals with some interesting ideas but is not keeping me as engaged as I'd like.

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments @Shannon, agree that A Long Way Home clearly isn't an author by trade. :) But the story itself is so crazy. And he's so positive!

Also, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Rebecca -- one of my all-time favourite books! It is one of a small handful that really got me reading fiction again after years of just studying. I give it credit for that for sure. I hope you love it!

@Megan, I've been eyeing up A Year of Living Generously: Dispatches From The Front Lines Of Philanthropy since you first mentioned it. Will wait to hear what you think overall, maybe.

message 11: by Allison (last edited Jan 27, 2017 07:50AM) (new)

Allison | 2267 comments I have some really scary news. BookOutlet.ca has 15% off site wide. My cart is overflowing. I really shouldn't be doing this...

... and... editing to add that I just did it... Oh well. (Got a bunch of kids' picture books in there, so I feel less guilty.)

message 12: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments @Allison, already placed my order!! Exercised a lot of self-control with only 5 books......Lol!

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments You know, as I say to my husband, it could be drugs, booze or men (or all three!)... this is a healthy addiction, so he should be happy!!

message 14: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments And the other 3 probably involve spending WAY more money than this....

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments This is a monthly summary. I finished 5 non-fiction and a few fiction that I had wanted to read for a while.
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed shows that even seemingly successful civilizations can die if they fail to conserve and preserve their resources.
Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction was in keeping with the Collapse motif, but with ideas on how to prevent extinction.
The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate-Discoveries from a Secret World was a glimpse into the amazing world of trees, their care for each other, including sharing of water and food. Humbling that trees seem to care more for each other than humans do.
Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon's Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart was the memoir of a neurosurgeon who went from poverty to extraordinary riches. He gives away his riches when he realizes that love and care (similar to the trees) was the most important ingredient to happiness.
Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. Sigh. So many horrors have been done in the name of Christianity!
Sleeping Giants is an interesting experiment in writing a sci-fi as a screen play, with only dialogue and official reports. The method keeps the reader at a distance and prevents complete immersion in the novel, which is the first in a proposed series.
Invisible Dead by Sam Wiebe, from Vancouver, is for my want to visit BC Bingo slot. It is a noir detective story imbued with Vancouver Streets and their homeless. It is a little more violent than I like but it all ends well.
I finished the last 3 in the series Liz Carlyle by Stella Rimington who was an actual agent in MI5: Breaking Cover; Close Call; and The Geneva Trap. Although they ring true, they are not very violent, so make for good bedtime reading.
Simon Armitage's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was wonderfully satisfying.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Happy Friday!!

I finished reading Hot Milk. I loved this book. It was so dreamy and lyrical. It reminded me a lot of Mrs. Dalloway. I know that this book has a lot of mixed reviews, so I'd be interested in hearing how the rest of you like/didn't like it.

I did not finish my non-fiction book for Jan. However, I just received notice that Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History is ready for me at the library.

I am going to start reading Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab this week.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments @Mary Anne, the tree book sounds really fascinating. I am a science writer, and in May posted this story, if it's of any interest, about how trees actually go to sleep: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...

@Megan, I just couldn't finish Hot Milk. Ugh. At first it reminded me of Outline by Rachel Cusk, which I loved, but Hot Milk was just too blah blah blah for me. I'm absolutely okay with a "lyrical" read over a plot driven one (in fact often I prefer it) but in this case, I just couldn't get on board. It felt like the author was just completely stoned, and I couldn't join her there. I'm glad you liked it though! (By the way, I tried it in audio -- maybe that format just didn't work??)

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Allison, I don't think I would have enjoyed Hot Milk on audio...at all.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments @ Allison - Thanks for the link about trees sleeping. The Hidden life of Trees was truly amazing, and also discusses the need for trees to sleep, as well as many other things.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments @Megan I liked Hot Milk but I did find that there were a few empty aka boring spots in the novel. When I read a book I can slow the reading for exciting or well written spots or speed it up for boring spots, neither of which can be done in an audio book.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Mary Anne Yes! I like to be able to: reread, slow down, skim read, or skip ahead if things aren't going well to see if it's worth my time continuing. :)

message 22: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments @ Megan-I really want to read Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab soon because I loved Shani Mootoo's Cereus Blooms at Night

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Heather(Gibby), I found it randomly in the library stacks. Cereus Blooms at Night has a bunch of holds on it, so I grabbed Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab while I wait.

message 24: by Rainey (last edited Jan 27, 2017 10:33AM) (new)

Rainey | 831 comments Finished The Cowboy and the Cossack for my Bingo Card spot O2 - outside your comfort zone.

I ended up loving this book so much.

I was not a cowboy genre/western reader, when I started this book.

I bought this book because it was a Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries recommends.

When I started reading this I didn't realize the author was a legendary western screenwriter - Comancheros, Hellfighters, and War Wagon and wrote for TV western series such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, The Virginian - some of my husbands favourites (movies and TV shows).

By page 70 I was hooked. Some scenes - when characters suffered - brought me to tears. Rostov, Levi and Shad were my favourites, but all of the characters were very well developed. They were also strong, gruff, rough and tumbled, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The book emphasized loyalty and friendship and doing whats right - but not in a cheesy way.

The ending - the ending - happy and sad at the same time and had me crying.

This book surprised me.

Currently Reading...

Outline for my BDA book club - well written but finding it boring - Can't wait to finish this one.

1984 - re-reading this one - Thanks to the new US President.

Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History - still working my way through this one. Tough read. If I finish this one by 31st, I will have hit my goal of reading 3 non fiction books this month.

message 25: by Mj (last edited Feb 11, 2017 12:01PM) (new)

Mj | 1195 comments Lots of interesting books as usual. Won't have enough time to read all that intrigue me.

@ ༺ Allison ༻ Thanks for reminding me about The Power Of Now: A Guide To Spiritual Enlightenment. Hope you enjoy it.

@ Allison - Am looking forward to your thoughts on The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet. I think it has a strong chance of making the Canada Reads shortlist.

@ Allison & @ May - also got the 15% email from Book Outlet. Had been checking out their New Arrivals yesterday but could feel the "rather consuming urge to buy starting to rise" so thought I'd sleep on it. Surprise, surprise today - a 15% temptress.

@ Susan - will be anxious to read your thoughts on Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History when you're done.

@ Diane - great fiction choices. Haven't read them but want to. Trying to read Canadian authors right now....but am starting to miss reading some talented non-Canadian authors.

@ Mary Anne - what an extremely interesting and eclectic list of non-fiction reads. Seems like you're getting a head start on the Canada Reads theme this year. I'll have to check out your reviews. They all look so tempting.

@ Heather - loved both of those Richard Wagamese's books - one non-fiction and one fiction. You're right about his writing. Not many authors can write both types and what is amazing to me is that every single book of his is so different. He definitely cannot be pigeon-holed.

@ Shannon - read about 1/3 of Rebecca and put it aside to finish later. Thanks for the reminder.

My Last Week and a bit of Reading

Forgot to post my read of Open Heart, Open Mind by Clara Hughes. Am a big sports fan and Clara Hughes fan and am glad I read it. The book wasn't as focussed on mental illness as I'd anticipated. Gets stronger in the second half. Really enjoyed learning more about an elite athlete[s training and discipline, her indigenous and spiritual influences and her volunteerism. She is one passionate and focused woman!!

Finished [book:Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History|19321954] Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. Essential reading for Canadians. Powerful. Strong Message. A Call to Action as Natasha mentioned in her great review and comments in our Monthly Group Discussion of this book. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Enjoyed Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks - an interesting historical fiction based on the true story of the first American Native to attend Harvard. Well researched and well written. In the first person narrative of Bethia Mayfield, a young Puritan girl, she tells a story that starts in the 1660's with the same racism and colonialism in Massachusetts as European settlers tried to change the natives they met upon their arrival into mirroring their own "proper" way of life. The story is told more softly and less harshly than in Up Ghost River but the same issues of white man wanting to change natives, although in this case they did try to provide post-secondary education. We're talking 350 years ago and much has not changed. Some wonderful and memorable characters. Not surprised that Brooks is a Pulitzer Prize Winner.

Really liked Just Pretending by Lisa Bird-Wilson, a Metis female author from Saskatchewan. It is a collection of short stories and my enjoyment is surprising as I'm not typically a short story fan. LOL - I read it because I thought there was a 2017 Bingo Square for short stories. NADA. DUH!!! But great mistake or serendipity. This is Bird-Wilson's first long work of fiction and the writing is terrific. It's fresh and poignant. All the stories are told in the first person narrative. I got a real sense of the Metis' life - racism, taunting by natives and non-natives alike, alcohol abuse, poverty, physical abuse, young moms, lots of pretending life could be different, lots of love, camaraderie, humour, surprises, great characters. Each story was different but all were connected. Most stories ended with me wondering - what will happen. I definitely plan to read more of her work. She's a wonderful story teller. Recommendations of the book on the flap are from Richard Van Camp, J. Jill Robinson and Richard Wagamese.

Upcoming Reading
Going to finish a 3rd non-fiction - either Dirty River: A Queer Femme of Color Dreaming Her Way Home by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha or Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak by Glenn Dixon - can't say my reading tastes aren't eclectic. I plan to read both soon for 2017 Bingo Squares. Also need to start The Best Kind of People by Zoe Whittall as I selected it for a book club meeting happening shortly.

Happy Reading Everyone!!

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments What a lot of reading, @MJ!

@Rainey, 1984 has nearly 2 million ratings and is over 4*! I need to get to this one. I've been moving around the same copy since University, I think! I need to just do it, especially in light of your comment above.

I just finished A Long Way Home. Wow. I'm going to rate it 5*, not because it's well written (pretty average) but because the story itself is unique and addictive. I cried ugly tears when Saroo met his mother, and then again when his two mothers met each other. Then I got lost down the internet rabbit hole of seeing Saroo speaking, videos of his mothers, etc. Just an unbelievable story.

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments I really liked Caleb's Crossing _ I feel like it is somewhat unappreciated. Not sure why I don't hear more about it. I've read some other Brooks books but didn't like them quite as much.

message 28: by Petra (new)

Petra | 842 comments Lots of really good reading happening this week! Great reading everyone.
I've got to see if I can find a copy of Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. It sounds interesting.

I've only finished one book this week: Swann's Way. It's a reread as I prepare to read the rest of the volumes (we'll see how far I get). I still loved the characters and the ruminations. Proust does like his long sentences. His characters are hilarious.

I'm half through Call It Sleep and almost done with my commuting audio, As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust. Listening to Flavia while commuting is always fun.

message 29: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Rainey - The Cowboy and the Cossack sounds like fun. Like you it's out of my comfort zone but might try it myself. I know my partner would love it - same tv shows/movies you mentioned above. Reruns of The Rifleman are a Saturday morning ritual.

Are there any of Nancy Pearl reference books you'd specifically recommend? Wasn't familiar with her but found a few of her books at our library and a terrific article in the Globe and Mail (a Canadian national newspaper - fairly business oriented and conservative, not one I subscribe to) about Nancy Pearl's Rule of 50 for Dropping a Bad Book. Sounds like some advice I should consider taking to heart.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Agree regarding Outline - thought it was well written and had some wise observations and recommendations but it was too detached for my taste. Of the 5 short listed Giller nominees I read - rated it 3rd out of 5 and gave it 3 stars.

@ Megan - count me in the really liked Hot Milk camp. I gave it 4 stars. I read it when it was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize and it was my 2nd favourite behind Madeleine Thien's Do Not Say We Have Nothing. I thought it was smart, sassy and well written and plan to read more of her work.

Here's my review if you're interested:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by Rainey (last edited Jan 27, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Rainey | 831 comments hi @Mj - I am a cannuk even though I live in Bermuda - hubby is Bermy - lol.

I have 3 others of her recommends in my TBR that I haven't read yet: A Gay and Melancholy Sound, Greensleeves and The Last Night at the Ritz

Glad I am not the only one who felt that way about Outline.

I have Hot Milk - I bought it when the ebook was on sale for $2.99 - will have to bump it up my TBR pile.

message 31: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments Greetings Fellow Bookworms
Last week I could not get to a computer on Friday, so today I am going to bring it all up to date. Im having mega issues with my phone, probably because my contract is up. Its a bit of a drag, because I cant comment when I want to.

Be that as it may, I have recently been reading,
The Barking Dog by Cordelia Strube was an anguished read from the get go. All of her major themes and then some.
Read three memoirs: Mnemonic: A Book of Trees by Theresa Kishkan was delightful surprise, and also set locally The Hope in Leaving: A Memoir by Barbara Williams and
Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History

Forty Rooms by Olga Grushin is autobiographical fiction, it read like a memoir, with a delightful concept. Same could be said for Amazing Grace by Lesley Crewe, without the fancy concept.
Ali Smiths Public Library and Other Stories mixes short autobiographical fiction with pertinent and loving testimonies to this necessary institution from a cross section of fans.

I am still reading I'm Right and You’re an Idiot: The Toxic State of Public Discourse and How to Clean it Up by James Hoggan. Lots of very interesting info here.
Also carrying on with The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time by Cheryl Richardson. Having a hard time connecting with this book, but some good stuff in it.

Finally started The Break by Katherina Vermette? there are 100 entries for this title, so I gave up trying to find link. But its this group that alerted me to it, so most of you will recognize it.

On Wednesday, for my in person bookclub I read, much against my inclination, The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes. How I love to be wrong in a case like this, because I did love it for its wonderful observations on music, and on the effect of tyranny on the human soul.

I did enter all my non fiction reads on Wednesday, but it appears not. Maybe I forgot to press enter when the book club women arrived. I did not formally enter the non fiction challenge but it seems I was in tune, for I read mostly non fiction this last month.
I could do it again if it requested.

@Megan I hope you like the Care of the soul as much as I did!
Hot Milk had its moments, but at the end of the day I thought it was a bit too frothy

@ Petra, congratulations on the Proust!
Thats been on my tba for decades!

message 32: by ❀ Susan (new)

Wow - I see everyone has been very busy while I was at work today!

@May - I have been trying to buy less books but you are making me so tempted by talking about the Books for Living!

@Heather(Gibby) - I have not read anything by Richard Wagamese that I have not enjoyed - Medicine Walk was my favourite book of 2016!

@Allison - those bookoutlet.ca emails are just so tempting but I really need to get through the books I bought during their boxing day sale.

@MaryAnne - you sure took the non-fiction challenge seriously! Sometimes it is nice to change up the reading!

@Rainey - I should reread 1984 as I don't recall much about it after reading it in highschool. Might be a challenge to get a copy these days!

@MJ - lol - I guess we should add a short story square next year!

I had a fairly quiet week of reading including Dr. Samantha Nutt's Damned Nations: Greed, Guns, Armies, and Aid after meeting her at the U of Guelph the week before. I will really critically think of how to share my donations after reading her book! I can't imagine some of the situations she has been in or the stories she told. I also finished A Jest of God, the 3rd book I have read about the Manawaka Series. Her writing is terrific and I found some great vintage CBC video clips of her - i knew that she had killed herself when she was diagnosed with breast ca but did not know how meticulously she had planned it, journalling her experience and even taking gravel to make sure she did not vomit the other medications she ingested. I need to get to her bio which is on my shelf too.

I am still listening to Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don’t Know What You’re Eating and What You Can Do about It and finding it needed some edition. The information is interesting but a little too much detail on the food issues. It makes me rethink some food purchases too! I am reading Weology: How Everybody Wins When We Comes Before Me, a book that i bought at the Art of Leadership conference for another non-fiction (and hoping to get to the Clara Hughes book next) and Bear which is on the CBC 100 Book to make you proud to be Cdn list. I have heard that it is a bizarre story but I am not that far into it yet.

It has started snowing here so I am hoping to snuggle by the fire with a book and a cup of tea tonight! Happy reading everyone!

message 33: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Magdelanye - I think 40 rooms was on the giveaway list recently

message 34: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments @ Susan, I read it as a hc library book. I think I was a bit overwhelmed with Up Ghost River which I was reading in the same week, because I kept judging Olga for being a middle class twit, which obviously dampened my reading pleasure in the book. Some great writing however and lots to think about identity and creative process, and poetry of course.

Susan do you particularly want my nf list for your records?

message 35: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Magdalanye - the challenges are really meant to inspire us all the read so it is up to you. I only report on what is in the challenge as it is interesting but does not necessarily need to be accurate (knowing that many might choose to read but not necessarily track).

message 36: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments @Susan, Books for Living is a great book, but at $30 at Indigo.ca for the hardcover, it is pretty expensive for a 250-page book. I used some of my plum points and got $10 off, so I went for it.
I was trying to shop for Canada Reads books on Bookoutlet.com. I managed to find Quantum Night and Company Town from the longlist.

message 37: by ❀ Susan (new)

@May - you are totally an enabler!!! lol

message 38: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Yes, we definitely enable each other when it comes to Bookoutlet.com sales :)

message 39: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 831 comments May wrote: "@Susan, Books for Living is a great book, but at $30 at Indigo.ca for the hardcover, it is pretty expensive for a 250-page book. I used some of my plum points and got $10 off, so I ..."

@susan

I have a free pdf copy that i am reading on my kindle. I can email it to anyone who wants a copy.

message 40: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments @ Magdelanye - Good to see you here. Have missed your energy and comments. Sorry to hear about your phone issues and that Up Ghost River felt so overwhelming. Sound like time for some feel good or at least "feel better" books.

@ Susan - Quite enjoyed A Jest of God myself and also plan to read Laurence's biography. Am assuming you're speaking of The Life Of Margaret Laurence by James King. King is Canadian and a professor at McMaster University, my alma mater.

After reading A Jest of God, I too was further intrigued by this amazing woman and feminist and did some research. I came across this link which I included in my review of the book.

Think you might be interested. Turns out Laurence's children authorized the biography and turned over their mother's diary to him with all its private details. They felt that comfortable with his integrity and writing and wanted her life presented with honesty and respect - another big reason why I want to read this particular biography.

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/b...

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

@MJ - thanks for the suggestion - i will add this to my TBR list also. The memoir that I was referring to which I have on my shelf is Dance on the Earth: a Memoir.

Very interesting article. I love reading more about the authors and gaining insight into their writing (especially when I won't get an opportunity to meet them).

message 42: by Gillian (last edited Jan 27, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Gillian | 336 comments It's still Friday in my timezone so I'm technically not late to the party.

I honestly thought I'd read no books this week due to having spending most of my reading time bouncing between books and tackling a 700 page monster. Imagine my surprise when I checked my goodreads to post here and realized I'd actually finished 4 books.

- Bone & Bread by Saleema Nawaz. Read this as a buddy read with my mom for the past Canada Reads bingo square. I really enjoyed the prose. There were a couple things near the end I wasn't a huge fan of but overall I really enjoyed the book.

- Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. I was surprised by how much I loved this book. It was actually really fun to read a book that was entirely made up of journal entries and interviews. I enjoyed it so much I made it my Canada Reads 2017 bingo square selection.

- The Just City by Jo Walton. I worked this one into another reading challenge I'm doing. Again, didn't expect to love this book but it's so fantastic. Interestingly relevant in relation to discussions about democracy and the nation state that are happening today.

- Spirit Caller: Books 4-6 by Krista D. Ball. A collection of a lighthearted romantic paranormal romance fantasy novellas set in Newfoundland. Really enjoyed it as a palate cleanser.

I'm currently reading way too much, but this weekend I'm hoping to finish Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler and This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

@༺ Allison ༻ I'd glad you liked The Invisible Library! I've got the sequel on my shelf and am hoping to get to it soon.

message 43: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Mair | 8 comments It's still Friday here too.

I see that I am in the company of omnivorous readers. Well, maybe not omnivorous, but you get through a wide variety of books, and many more than I can manage at the moment!

I made my way through Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History. It was not easy to read, in part, I think, because it was well written. The writing drew me into the story, the situation, the horror of the residential school and the effect on his life and the lives of so many others.

I am one of those who will read my way 'around' a book. In this case I read my way around the part I found most horrific, only actually reading it after I knew that he had found a way back from the hell it created in his life. I could not avoid it if I wanted to really understand the book, but I did not rush there.

I think I may already have known more about residential schools than some, having learned about them (and other horrors) through many interviews and discussions on CBC, other books and people I have met. This does not change the anger I feel reading what is a powerful account of a terrible wrong. Or should I say wrongs?

After that I needed a change of tack, so I started on The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. It certainly is a change, but I have a feeling I'll probably read my way around this one as well.

And of course I've now added even more books to my TBR pile. For which I thank everyone who suggests books!

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments It is still Friday here. Has anyone read Company Town by Madeline Ashby?
@Shvaugn . Glad you liked [book:The Just City|22055276. I read it a few years and think I might reread it so as to then read the next two that complete the trilogy.

message 45: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Well all-righty then! So many fantastic reads on everyone's list! And so many more added to my completely unchecked TBR pile!

Compared to everyone else, I read very, very, very little. I finished Up Ghost River for the January challenge. It took me a while because the book angered me, saddened me, inspired me and just absolutely left a permanent impression.

Up next is Clara Hughes' "Open Heart Open Mind" to complete my non-fiction challenge. I also have "Just City", and "Company Town" on my nightstand. I'm hoping to finish Hughes' book for sure and move onto the next books as quickly as possible before Feb 1. I'm excited to read "Half Moon Blues" and "Viola Desmond's Canada" for Black History Month.

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2267 comments 12:01! Darn!

@Shvaugn, I also really liked Sleeping Giants, and so did @Rainey! Good stuff -- maybe it will get through to the short list!

I was torn about whether to pick up The Just City or The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet next, but chose the latter because it was non-fiction and fit the month's challenge. But so glad to hear you liked Walton's book, as I have it on deck, especially if it makes the short list!

Man, I'm tired! Good night!

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @magdaylne I'm enjoying care of the soul. So far I like religion of one's own better but care of the soul is making some excellent points.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Also I love that my homepage is full of friends adding new tbr books from our Friday discussion. :)

message 49: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments MJ you were mentioning Nancy Pearl-I think....she is a very famous American librarian-there is even an action figure doll of her with a stack of books that I have, and she is a huge advocate of reading, and is especially interested in reintroducing books that have fallen off the radar in the past few decades. I personally never seem to care for her taste, but she used to be a blogger and had a podcast and she's a huge reader.

This past week I stared the 2015 edition of The Best American Mystery Stories. I had to go for 2015 because 2016 was out on overdrive, but the year doesn't matter. The first story started out with a total bang-a fellow named Doug Allyn who I believe is Canadian, just a fantastic noir horror story, the rest so far have been very mediocre. I'm still reading the book but none of them are outstanding so far. Still mysteries and short fiction-best mix for me.
I sent a friend a copy of Up Ghost River and she had never heard of it, very interested in Indiginous afffairs and she loved it.

message 50: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 831 comments @Alan,

I also mentioned Nancy Pearl as I read and loved one of her recommendations - The Cowboy and the Cossack.

I have 3 other of her recommends on my TBR list.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.