Gentle SPECTRUMS discussion

My Kind Of Mystery 2017 > General MY KIND Of Mystery

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) | 972 comments Mod
Our fourth group is here! Welcome back, to MY KIND OF MYSTERY 2017! https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/mykind...

Review pages, with all those linky buttons, need time but everything is ready to read and to invite you to rejoin! Xoxo, Carolyn

Our MY KIND OF MYSTERY review page is up for 2017! https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/mykind...

message 3: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 09, 2017 05:48AM) (new)

Does anyone have a least favourite kind of mystery? Typical American detective or police crime is mine! Right now, caused by too descriptive writing along with it: Ellery Queen's "The Roman Hat Murder" is slow. I should be far ahead in it but twice, my cats were so cute under the covers with me that I fell asleep before reading. Last night I managed several pages. My spouse is in the paint industry and I often think of "working off a spoiled batch" in situations like this. You can't dump a pail of chemicals so you use a little in good batches until the discarded paint is depleted.

I'll give this novel one more good dent tonight (I can't by day because I have flower baskets to plant). Then if it still drags, I had better start some other book that is more engrossing. I'll do a few pages of Ellery Queen until it's done but not hamper this year's overall reading progress, because I will have a superior book bolsering me along. People call this "juggle reading".

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments I don't think I have a favorite kind because I'm pretty mood-orientated when it comes to mysteries. Sometimes I'm drawn to Psychological crime fiction but sometimes it's a turn off. The same for cozy mysteries or golden age. I love some old fashioned noir detective books but a lot of them are flat too.

I read an Agatha Christie recently, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, that was great fun so I need to go through another Christie-reading phase. I also have so many cozies to get to. I want to re-read a few of the beginning books of the Alex Delaware Thriller Mystery series by Jonathan Kellerman this year too.

I have a Hard case crime I wanted to get to soon: Zero Cool by John Lange

I wondered about people's least favourites. My top two favourites aren't a surprise! First place: hands-down is paranormal or atmospheric mystery. Second place, also hands-down before all other kinds: mysterious mysteries; not crime-based! I am always happy to read these two kinds but keep myself from going through them quickly. I'm a "save the best thing on your plate for last" person.

I am indeed going through Agatha Christie in order but have not done more than one per year. Her plots are complex but I love her excellent writing! Also in common with you is that I enjoy several cozies, standard adult suspense that's more serious, and even some horror. Yes, mood plays a part but one also has to like the author or series. I know who the good cozy authors are and steer clera from the plastic / sanitized creations, as you once called it. Nor do I like horror or standard adult thrillers to be gross or too disturbing. Picky I guess! Anyway I think juggle-reading will get me through Ellery Queen's first novel until I reach exciting action. There's so much more I'd rather read but I think I can appreciate "The Roman Hat Mystery" if I persevere.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments Hm, least favorite. I would say noir and old fashioned gumshoe detective. Some I really enjoy but a lot of it is lukewarm for me and I have to feel in a mood.

message 7: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 09, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

This one is as typical as it gets.... New York detectives and police force of 1929! But since Ellery Queen is a pioneer I'm giving him a try. And you might recall my habit of collecting a ton of books, in my "completionist" mindset, well before I begin trying them out! I am for instance seeing that I can't stand the Hamish Macbeth series of Marion Chesney Beaton. I love Scotland, have BEEN to Scotland.

I told Sue would probably like the officer and detecting parts themselves. But there is a lot of crap to slog through before those clue-solving parts: people arguing, snobs of high classes, useless descriptions.... These do not sound like a mystery for 100 pages in my brief experience. I tried the second book and with so many unlikeable people, again and arguing and snobbery.... it irks me too much for me to make it to the loveable detective and his creative solving. I *will* give Marion Chesney Beaton's other, Agatha Raisin, series a try. Anyway what I'm sharing is that over a few years, I have gathered 30+ of these books; even first editions! It seems this is a rare case in which I will sell them before reading them. Lorraine Bartlett's bookshop series too.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments How nice to go to Scotland - I could imagine how gorgeous it is. I'd love to go there sometime.

I haven't tried Ellery Queen myself.

I tried the first Agatha Raisin last year, it was pretty cute. I expected a general cozy but she's definitely a different lead.

message 9: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Oct 28, 2017 11:56AM) (new)

I'm out of patience with Marion Chesney Beaton but *will* give Agatha Raisin a try, to see if her dialogue and characters are less annoying. I own so many of them and the Hamish MacBeth ones are for sale without reading more than the first and having to put away the second after one page! As for Scotland, it was too special and gorgeous for 3 days and I would love to see more, as well as Ireland and Wales.

message 10: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Oct 28, 2017 12:06PM) (new)

We have an update in MY KIND OF MYSTERY! With a permanent review page, I leave it for you to visit all year and don't need to announce new links. However I do like to check in and urge on chatting, so I have finally made that post.

Whether you're in MY KIND OF MYSTERY or not, you might like to check in because the mystery logo is open for all group members to solve All correct answers earn an extra name in the bowl for the year-end prize draw, which is for all four groups! Thus, it is fair that everyone guesses which mystery book provided the bright, colourful logo.

I will work on update posts for ETHEREAL, GENTLE SPECTRUMS, and CELTIC COASTS as well. However you can go ahead with the common aspects, like the logo-solving and confirming your wish to be in the draw. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/1...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments Thank you, just checked out your new updated post on your site. As I mentioned, I haven't been keeping my challenge page on the blog as updated as I should, but need to finish the updates for the year before its out for sure.

I replied, thanking you for continuing to think of Conan and explained in detail that you don't need to update all your books.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments Glad you also had a good thanksgiving in Canada, forgot to respond to that there :)

message 14: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Oct 29, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

At times like this, we don't force ourselves to visit out, or have people in and be cheerful for a holiday about being thrilled with how life is going. Birthdays and Jesus's birthday are different. We did have homegrown food and acknowledge the day and the thought. When Conan is back we will be grateful forevermore.

The new "My Kind Of Mystery" page has been made! I will add its companion review page shortly. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/mykind...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments I will participate again this year. Have most of my websites challenge made created but not officially up yet to replace the 2017 version. I do plan (hope) to stay more updated with my website challenges this year in comparison to last. Thanks for hosting again!