2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 28, 2017 08:16AM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Brandon Sanderson‘s book, The Final Empire.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Janine, Lindsay, Cassandra, Winter, Mary Pat, Craig, Miriam

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 135.25
Week 2: 135.25
Week 3: 135.25
Week 4: 135.25

Janine | 1104 comments I have my copy on my kindle and I'm excited to start :) Who's reading The Final Empire for the first time? I know a bunch of you are further on in the series and joining in later.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'll be joining next month for book #2, but I read The Final Empire recently enough that I should still be able to discuss.

Janine | 1104 comments Great, Cassandra. It's lovely to see that 'rated it 5 stars' there. Hope I like it as much as you did!

message 6: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I read The Final Empire in a buddy read last year but, as Cassandra said, it was so recent that I am very comfortable discussing it again. I am also looking forward to the second book in March!

Miriam | 89 comments Janine wrote: "I have my copy on my kindle and I'm excited to start :) Who's reading The Final Empire for the first time? I know a bunch of you are further on in the series and joining in later."

I gonna read it for the first time. I tried it twice so far but every time real life decided to show it's ugly head and I never got past chapter two. So I'm all new to it, too.

I own this version: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson . Don't know what the difference is, besides seemingly having more pages.

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments I think I have misunderstood, when are we reading the second one? I thought it was this month, but I'm very good with reading it later too. Won't read the first again yet though. :)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Second one is next month! I'll be jumping in on it then too.

message 10: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments There are a couple of us who read the first book as a buddy read last year who will jump in next month! It was recent enough, though, that I will probably participate here with some of the folks that are new to the series without re-reading the book.

Cassandra | 5832 comments Yep, me too. :)

Janine | 1104 comments I only just started last night, made it 7% of the way through (end of Ch2), but thought I'd share some first thoughts. I'm really loving it so far! I'm enjoying how we're slowly introduced to the world. It's not felt too heavy on the terminology, but I'm still building up a picture of this world in my head.

Super excited to learn more about the magic system. A good, structured magic system is something I love in fantasy, and what little I've seen of it so far it looks like it's going to be great.

Also excited to learn more about the skaa. I'm not sure I've quite grasped what makes them skaa yet - if they're just a lower class or if they're a whole different species or race or something.

message 13: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Hope you are all enjoying this book as we head into the second week of February! I read this book in October and am very interested in seeing everyone's reactions as they progress!

Miriam | 89 comments I'm a bit behind my plan right now, just finished the first chapter. So far I like it. I hope we'll get more information about the society and the political system soon. As to who or what the skaa are and why their treated the way they are.
Oh and I very much like to know where that ash fall come from.

Janine | 1104 comments Miriam wrote: "I'm a bit behind my plan right now, just finished the first chapter. So far I like it. I hope we'll get more information about the society and the political system soon. As to who or what the skaa ..."

I very much agree Miriam. I'm most interesting in the world building right now. I'm on more chapter on now (Ch3) and am loving the slow reveal of the world, it's beautifully done.

Lindsay | 1327 comments I have read part one, so to the end of chapter 8. It's the first time I've read any Sanderson so it's taking me a little while to get used to it. Enjoying it so far.

Cassandra | 5832 comments Janine, structured magic systems are one of my absolute favorite things in books, so Brandon Sanderson is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. This one definitely qualifies!

message 18: by Maxine (new) - added it

Maxine Robinson Jumping in- the world building is so well done. No info dumps but we still get everything we need. The complexity of it is so clever. I usually read this trilogy once a year, so you have all inspired me and I'm going to re read it. I hope you all continue to enjoy the series.

Janine | 1104 comments Finished part one last night, so up to the end of Ch8. Despite it being fairly lengthy, it seems to be zooming by for me! I have a lot of thoughts, but will put appropriate spoiler warnings.

Cassandra wrote: "Janine, structured magic systems are one of my absolute favorite things in books, so Brandon Sanderson is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. This one definitely qualifies!"

Glad to hear it. I love it when magic has rules, consequences and people have to learn how to use it/manage it, and it's definitely ticking all the boxes so far. I find it fascinating!

Plot spoilers up to Ch6:
(view spoiler)

Plot spoilers up to Ch8
(view spoiler)

Also in things I keep thinking about: Steel Inquisitors and the Lord Ruler. I'm convinced there's so much more to them than meets the eye and I'm so curious!

Janine | 1104 comments Took a few days off this one as I had a couple of library books I wanted to get through, but I did find myself thinking about it a little inbetween which is always a good sign!

I'm now about 50% of the way through and still enjoying it. Not currently convinced by Elend as a character and his potential future role, but we'll see.

Miriam | 89 comments I'm still a bit behind, currently at 33%. I really love the book, but I need time and peace so that I can dive into it without disturbance. And that's a bit difficult with 4 kids. Hopefully later today there will be some time to finish part two.

message 22: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Great to see everyone making progress as we head into the third week of February. I ended up being very pleased with this first book and I look forward to joining the discussions when we start the second book in March!

Janine | 1104 comments So I finished!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, great start the series and I'm really excited to keep on reading them. It felt like a whole book with a satisfying ending, but with so much more to come. There were lots of answered questions, but twice as many unanswered questions!

Highlights for me were the world building, the interesting magic systems (with more development to come on that I'm sure, I love that we don't know everything) and the huge scale of it all.

Thoughts on the ending:
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments How is everyone making out as we head into the last week of February? I am looking forward to joining all of you on the second book, The Well of Ascension, in March!

Lindsay | 1327 comments I'm getting there slowly. I had quite a number of buddy reads to get through in February. So typically the library got in new books that I had reserved and wasn't expecting so quickly. Just have this and Hollow City and the 6 library books to get through now! I think when we get to the second book I will try to just focus on it and nit be distracted!

Janine | 1104 comments Lindsay wrote: "I'm getting there slowly. I had quite a number of buddy reads to get through in February. So typically the library got in new books that I had reserved and wasn't expecting so quickly. Just have th..."

Oh dear, I've had that happen before. I became quite adept at juggling library reservations and renewals! I think the scope of these books make it best if you can focus on it and read it in sizeable chunks.

I'm very much looking forward to continuing on in the series and having some more voices chime in as we get further on!

Lindsay | 1327 comments Janine wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I'm getting there slowly. I had quite a number of buddy reads to get through in February. So typically the library got in new books that I had reserved and wasn't expecting so quick..."
I would normally just take them back and borrow them again later Janine, but when they are brand new and I'm getting to read them first it's just too tempting. Maybe I need to give up sleeping or eating!

Lindsay | 1327 comments Janine wrote: "So I finished!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, great start the series and I'm really excited to keep on reading them. It felt like a whole book with a satisfying ending, but with so much more to come. Ther..."

I feel the same as you about Kelsier's story Janine. I didn't see it coming either but with hindsight thought I should have. I didn't mind Elend but I imagine we might get to know more about him in the next book. Glad I've finished in the nick of time and ready for everyone to join in on book 2.

Miriam | 89 comments It has taken me some time to be able to write something about this book. Not because it was bad, but because to me it was a pretty intense read. The story, the characters, the narratingm it just sucked me in and every time I had to put the book down after just one chapter I felt as if I was being unfair to the book because I would never be able to grasp the full extend of the story with so much interuptions. Therefore towards the end I read the book in a few big chunks (100+ pages each).

That said I have to admit I'm still not sure what to say about this book. It left a pretty big impression on me. The world building was superb, the magic system based on the metals innovative and well developed, the characters wonderfully devised. And most of all I loved the fact that this was fantasy without the usual clichées and the medieval setting.

The ending surprised me a bit. (view spoiler)

But what I really like is that this story will go on, where so many others leave of. The bad guy may be dead, but that's not the end of it. So I'm all set for The Well of Ascension. Sadly I won't be starting before the weekend.

Lindsay | 1327 comments It's interesting that you felt you needed to read it in bigger chunks Miriam. To begin with I was trying to read alongside a few other books but I also thought I wasn't doing the book justice. I have a couple of library books that I have to read before I get started on The Well of Ascension but I'm looking forward to it.

My version had the same cover as yours but I'm fascinated by how completely different it is from the other covers.
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Mistborn (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Janine | 1104 comments I also felt it was best read in bigger chunks, it's definitely best if you're able to spend some time and focus on it.

Lindsay - you're right, I'm sure we'll learn more about Elend in the coming books and hopefully I'll come to like him!

Miriam, re: the ending. (view spoiler)

I'm super excited to read The Well of Ascension and return to that world!

message 32: by Mary Pat (last edited Mar 01, 2017 08:53PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments So, I have already put a good dent in The Well of Ascension. I am sorry to tease but...I think everyone is going to like it! :) (Of course, I haven't quite made it to the ending yet....)

Looking forward to discussing the next book with everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.