2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Anansi Boys (American Gods #2)
This topic is about Anansi Boys
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > Anansi Boys

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Neal Gaiman‘s book, Anansi Boys.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Lindsay, Riley

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 96
Week 2: 96
Week 3: 96
Week 4: 96

Jess | 12 comments Mary Pat wrote: "
Suggested
break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting..."

Thank you so much!

message 4: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Hard to believe but we have come to the end of the first week of February! How are you coming along on Anansi Boys?

Lindsay | 1311 comments I've only read the first chapter but I found it quicker to get into the story than I did with American Gods. Probably because I'm coming to it from reading that. Interested to see what happens.

Jess | 12 comments Sorry for starting so late. I was sick and found it hard to read something that required so much concentration and attention.
I also just finished chapter 1. I found it easier than American Gods, but I still feel like it will take me a bit to get into.
It seems interesting so far, definitely looking forward to it.

Lindsay | 1311 comments Hope you're feeling better now Riley.

message 8: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments We are heading into the third week of February. How are you progressing with Anansi Boys?

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm finished and I did enjoy it. Not quite as much as American Gods but I love the way Neil Gaiman writes.

message 10: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments We are coming into the last week of February! Any final thoughts on this book before we head into March reads?

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm still positive about it but feel it was much more lightweight than American Gods. This is from Neil Gaiman's blog describing the book,

"My new novel is a scary, funny sort of story, which isn't exactly a thriller, and isn't really horror, and doesn't quite qualify as a ghost story (although it has at least one ghost in it), or a romantic comedy (although there are several romances in there, and it's certainly a comedy, except for the scary bits). If you have to classify it, it's probably a magical-horror-thriller-ghost-romantic-comedy-family-epic, although that leaves out the detective bits and much of the food."

I've read the two novellas that follow Shadow Moon (The Monarch of the Glen and Black Dog) also and they have more of the feel of American Gods.

message 12: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I have only read one book by Neil Gaiman (Coraline) but I do like his style! Will be adding more of his books to my TBR!

Lindsay | 1311 comments I had read Stardust last year and really enjoyed it so I'm also planning on reading more. I have The Ocean at the End of the Lane ready to go whenever I have the time.

message 14: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess | 12 comments Thank you, I'm feeling better now.
I have about 20 pages or so left, but I think i can summarize how I feel about it well enough, right now.
I liked that it was much easier to read than American gods, but I feel like American gods had a better story overall. Anansi boys had a different feel to it and was a lot more lighthearted and straightforward. I liked American gods better because I feel like it was more in depth and gave you a lot to think about and mull over once the book was finished. With the way anansi boys is going,I don't think I will have the same feelings towards it.
So overall, good story. But absolutely nothing compared to american gods.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.