2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

A Tale of Two Cities
This topic is about A Tale of Two Cities
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > A Tale of Two Cities

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Charles Dickens‘s book, A Tale of Two Cities.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

"Participants: Amanda, Catherine, Cobean., Emma, Craig

message 2: by Mary Pat (last edited Feb 26, 2017 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 61
Week 2: 61
Week 3: 61
Week 4: 61
Week 5: 61
Week 6: 61
Week 7: 61
Week 8: 61

message 3: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments The first week of February comes to an end! Hard to believe! How are all of you making out with a Tale of Two Cities?

Catherine | 1561 comments I just started it today, I'm only on page 16 so far but I'm planning to focus on it for the rest of the day!!

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments I've got a few buddy reads on the go so I've not started this one yet. Looking forward to reading everyone's comments.

Catherine | 1561 comments I just finished Chapter 19, I'm about halfway through my edition of the book. It's been many years since the last time I read this and I think I have a greater appreciation for Dickens now than I did in my younger years!

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments Glad to see you're enjoying it. I've got one other buddy read to finish and then I'm ready to start.

message 8: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments We are entering the third week of February! What does everyone think so far?

Catherine | 1561 comments As far as I can tell, I'm the only one reading it so far. I'm really enjoying it. The only time I remember reading this book for sure was in junior high school, which for me was, well, let's say more than two decades ago ;) I thought I had re-read it again since then but I'm honestly not sure when or if I even did. So in re-reading it, there are things I remember and things that seem completely new to me. I'm picking up a lot more of the symbolism on my own (as a student I remember our teacher really pointing it all out to us) which is fun. I really need to read more Charles Dickens, but some of his books are really intimidatingly long!

message 10: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I know Amanda was finishing another buddy read before she started this one and we do still have two weeks to go!

I have not read much Dickens but I have added this one to my list so I am interested in what folks say here!

message 11: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I get the impression that many of you have not been able to get to this book in February. Would you like to extend it for another month? Please let me know what you would like to do.

Catherine | 1561 comments I'm still reading it but (surprise surprise) haven't finished it yet. This seems to be a theme for me today. I'm fine with extending the discussion if others are planning to join in!

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments I've started it and I'm up to chapter 5. I'm going to try to finish it by the end of the month. I'm not quite sure yet where the story is going but I'm interested enough to see where it leads.

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments I've finished Part 2, Chapter 3 "A Disappointment". It reads like a thriller. It's mysterious. The scene with Doctor Manette. Mr Darney. There seems to be underlying aspects to the story which may be explained later or may not. The story has got my attention.

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments I've finished Part 2 Chapter 19 An Opinion. I struggled with it a bit since my last post but now the story seems to be picking up again.

message 16: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I have extended this buddy read into March so that everyone gets a chance to finish the book and participate!

Catherine | 1561 comments I finished the book yesterday. I loved it. There were a few parts that I remembered differently from reading it years ago, so I'm glad I gave this one another read.

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments Well done on finishing it Catherine. I've got about 50 pages to go. I'm going to try to finish it tomorrow. The pace has definitely picked up.

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments I finished it yesterday. I read the complete and unabridged version. I did feel like editing would have made it better. Sometimes the writing would go on for ages about a subject and I would switch off. I read A Christmas Carol last year and loved it. This one I struggled with. Opinions seemed to be mixed on this one so I suggest that anyone who is interested in reading this, give it a go and make your own mind up.

message 20: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Checking in as we enter the third week of March. I see that a couple of you have finished the book. How is everyone else making out?

message 21: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Just a gentle reminder that March will come to an end in a few days and April buddy reads will start soon! Hope everyone finds a new discussion to join!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Tale of Two Cities (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Dickens (other topics)