What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's family drama. Written 1980s or earlier. Canadian pioneers who left American due to war of independence. Their day to day adventures as pioneers

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Imogen (new)

Imogen | 1 comments The book was a about a family who left America due to the war of independence and headed north to Canada. They travelled by boat, and had to abandon their piano or possibly it fell of the boat. They had been a reasonably well off family, not used to a hard life and the early part is them adapting to their new life, and missing what they had had when they lived in America.

The book cover show the main character a girl of about 10 to 12 with ginger hair and wearing a red dress helping to paddle a boat, possibly a large canoe with a group of other people including her mother, father and I think a sister. The main character was called Cynthia or Cecilia (or possibly this was the name of the author). All around them are lots of trees.

They eventually meet other pioneer families and make a small settlement. There is an incident with an animal, possibly a dog, which had rabies.

I think the book was meant for older children, and was in the same sort of genre as Little House on the Prarie. I read it around 1990, but the book was a second hand hardback that was about 10 years old, the story itself might have been longer ago than that. I'm fairly sure it was fiction rather than an account of a real person's life.

I'm in the UK and I would have said the book was also printed in the UK. Think the author was a woman.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 442 comments Could it possibly be On Loyalist Trails by John F. Hayes On Loyalist Trails by John F. Hayes? I'm having trouble finding a lot of information about it, but the plot summary on NoveList Plus sounds pretty close to your description:

"The Hunter family, escaping from a hostile neighborhood after being on the losing side during the American War of Independence, flee to Canada and endure the trials of pioneering a homestead in New Brunswick."

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Imogen, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On Loyalist Trails (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John F. Hayes (other topics)