Play Book Tag discussion

How To Win Friends and Influence People
January 2017: Bonus Admin Tags > How to Win Friends and Influence People / Dale Carnegie - 3***

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5639 comments BONUS TAG - Self-improvement

How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
How To Win Friends And Influence People - Dale Carnegie - 3***
This classic self-help / self-improvement book was first published in the 1930s. Given the decades over which this book has been read, and the hordes of people who have done so, I’d be surprised if most of us hadn’t already heard most of this before. I admit that some of the principles certainly bear repeating, and that it is easier to agree with them than it is to practice them consistently. Still, had it not fulfilled a particular challenge, I would have abandoned it long before I finished it.
LINK to my review

Karin | 6926 comments Yes, I agree. While some of them are helpful, some of them can be very manipulative if not used well. There are better books on the subject that have come out later. Still, I think it was rather innovative at the time, but if someone knows of another book like this that predates it, I'd be interested to know.

message 3: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 689 comments This is certainly a foundational book on which many a great author has relied. I think many books have updated the ideas and presented them in ways that feel less manipulative. However, it is always interesting to read a classic such as this.