Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group discussion

The Man in the High Castle
This topic is about The Man in the High Castle
Group Book Discussion > The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe (finalblowjoe) | 264 comments Mod
Hey everyone. This is for discussion of February’s group book:
The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.
This won the 1963 Hugo award.

Unless it’s a very general comment make sure you use spoiler code.
< spoiler>Comment< /spoiler> Without the spaces.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

So the first group reads start tomorrow.
There's 15 chapters so the simplest way to read it would be a chapter a day; possibly 2 chapters a day on the weekends.

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments I'm joining the read-along on this one (I already own the book in hardcover, so I got no excuses not to join, lol), but I probably wont have time to read it until maybe late next week. But you guys can start without me, I can probably catch up.

I'm also thinking about checking out the TV-series. Anyone else doing that?

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter One.

(view spoiler)

Linnea, don't feel pressurized to force yourself to catch up. The spoiler code should avoid ruining any surprises for anyone.

Regarding the TV series, I was definitely curious when first hearing about it but was determined to read the book first. Also it's a Amazon exclusive and I don't like Amazon so can't think how to watch it at the moment.

message 5: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Two

(view spoiler)

Definitely an interesting setting so far. I also need to look into the I-Ching which would prove handy.

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Three.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon | 342 comments Mod
Just finished Chapter 3. Not much to add to what Joe has already said. This is the second PKD novel that I've read and so far I like it better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.
We'll see how that holds up.

I'd like to watch the Amazon adaptation, but first I want to watch The Expanse.

Still waiting for my copy of Ammonite to show up so I haven't started that one yet.

message 8: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Four.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon | 342 comments Mod
I've read through chapter eight. Here are just a few of my thoughts.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters Five & Six

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Seven.

(view spoiler)

James Chatham (jameschatham) Through chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

In general, I'm enjoying it so far, but not quite as much as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but that could change after getting further into the novel.

message 13: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Eight & Nine.

(view spoiler)

I'm really starting to get into this more now.

Jon, I'm curious about that same thing (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon | 342 comments Mod
Finished it last night. I picked it up intending to only read a chapter or two and suddenly it was over.

(view spoiler)

I received my copy of Ammonite today. I'll probably start this week end or early next week.

message 15: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter 10 & 11

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter 12 & 13

(view spoiler)

James Chatham (jameschatham) Through Chapter 11.

(view spoiler)

James Chatham (jameschatham) Finished the book.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter 14 & 15

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

End Thoughts

(view spoiler)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Joe wrote: "Chapter One.

Introduction to two of the American characters. R. Childan and Frank Frink (what a name). Learn first little bits of information about this world. Curious to find out how the US and r..."

Pretty much agree with you, Joe, on chapter one. I'm usually not interested in things relating to WWII, but I'm intrigued by the world-building so far (not really feeling the characters yet).

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Joe wrote: "Chapter Two

So World War 2 was won by the Axis powers but barely. They've now started to colonise the rest of the solar system and leave orders behind on how the Earth is to be run. I assume this ..."

Ok, I've got two things to say regarding chapter two. The first thing is a bit nitpicky perhaps, but they mention a Swede named Mr Baynes several times, and I was slightly annoyed because "Baynes" is like the most un-swedish name ever (though possibly this is explained later in the book). We don't really use the letters a and y next to each other like that. And germans are referred to as "Herr" in the book, while Baynes is "Mister", but the word herr is actually a scandinavian thing as well. (A bit old-fashioned today, but not that strange to use in a 60's setting.) Anyway, that annoyed me.

Also (view spoiler)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Joe wrote: "Chapter Three."

I liked the inner monologue Baynes had in the end of the chapter, but it sounded very much like the author speaking rather than the character. I also enjoyed the world-building in this chapter, it seems like Dick has put a lot of thought into what this kind of post-WWII world would be like when it comes to of race, nationality, religon etc.

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments And, in chapter 3, (view spoiler)

message 25: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linnea,

I'm glad you pointed out the name issue with Mr Baynes and the 'Herr' as it's not something I knew about and definitely didn't pick up on.

Regarding Chapter 3, (view spoiler)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Joe wrote: "Chapter Four."

My first thought was that (view spoiler)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Chapter five - so meta! I loved it!

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Linnea wrote: "Joe wrote: "Chapter Four."

My first thought was that [spoilers removed]"

Nevermind, I was wrong, regarding what happened in chapter four. :P

Just finished chapter 7, and overall there are a lot of interesting ideas and philosophies being presented here, some of which may need a second read through to pick up on (it is Dick after all). But I'm not getting much of an actual plot yet. I'll read a chapter, and like it, but I never get a feeling of wanting to know what happens next.

message 29: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linnea,

I had/have the same issue with this. I liked the individual chapters but there was just a lack of story and momentum going forward.

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments I finally caught up and finished this book. I pretty much agree with you guys, there were interesting ideas here, but the good parts didn't quite make a good whole. But it was interesting to read a novel structured in a way I'm not used to, such as there not being one major plotline but rather several small ones, and there not being one major protagonist etc.

My favorite part was when (view spoiler)

I also recommend listening to the SFFAudio podcast episode on this book. They always do interesting in-depth discussion on Dick's works.

message 31: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon | 342 comments Mod
Linnea,

Kudos for finishing it! I was sure that you had decided to DNF it and I wouldn't have blamed you.

That was probably my favorite part of the book also. For a second I thought that the second half was going to turn everything around and that I was going to end up enjoying it. Nope, didn't happen.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I might go look that up and try to understand what people like about this book.