Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group discussion

Award Discussion > Philip K. Dick Award Discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (finalblowjoe) | 264 comments Mod
Discussion on the Philip K. Dick Award; which started in 1983.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
In case anyone is interested, the kindle edition of The Book of the Unnamed Midwife is on sale on Amazon today for $1.99. I don't know if this only works for the US or not. This won the Philip K. Dick Award in 2015. The sequel The Book of Etta is on the shortlist for this year's PKD Award. The winner for this year's award will be announced on Friday, March 30th. I've read two of the books on that shortlist, Six Wakes and All Systems Red, and I really enjoyed both of them.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
This is not breaking news at this point but I thought that I would post it anyway.

The 2019 Philip K. Dick Award Nominees were announced on January 12, 2019.

Time Was
The Body Library
Alien Virus Love Disaster
Theory of Bastards
Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories

Awards will be announced April 19, 2019 at Norwescon 42.
I got this from their website www.philipkdickaward.org

message 4: by Joe (new)

Oddly I bought Ambiguity Machines only a few days before this shortlist was announced so now will wait with reading it until April.

I find the Philip K. Dick award to be a rather interesting and different award for the most part. I know maybe a single book out of any years shortlist whilst also knowing as few of the authors. I find it quite useful to encounter new authors that I highly doubt I would of heard of through other means. I know this can apply to other awards but this one I think is one of the more unusual.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
I've previously heard of two of these, Time Was and The Body Library. They both interest me, the first because I like the Luna books that I've read by that author and the second because I tend to enjoy SFF and mystery mashups.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 348 comments Mod
I just finished The Anubis Gates (1983 winner) today, and I'm suprised and a little embarrassed to say that it was the first PKD winner that I've read. It leads me to wonder what the PKD award is exactly for, what criteria is it judged on and who's judging?

The reason I ask is that I was expecting a PKD winner to be more... well, Philip K. Dickish: weird, trippy, paranoid, philosophical - especially raising questions of ontology, espistemology, phenomenology, identity. And instead The Anubis Gates was a very jolly swashbuckle! I'd call it fantasy rather than SF.

So I had a look at the website www.philipkdickaward.org that Jon linked above, and it's absolutely barebones. It looks like something from the 1990s. Likewise, the Philidelphia Science Fiction Society, which sponsors the award, is barely one page. As far as I can tell from looking at these two websites and wikipedia the PKD award is just for 'best science fiction novel this year in USA', without any further details.

The Hugo, Nebula, and PKD award all have the same aim: best SF novel published that year in the USA. But the PKD seems to come up with massively different results. (It can't be explained by Hugo and Nebula also rewarding fantasy, because most of the 1983 books are SF and none of them cross over).

If we look at the year that The Anubis Gates won (1983):

Nebula and Hugo nominations are 50% the same:

Shared:
Foundation's Edge
Friday
The Sword of the Lictor

Hugo Only:
Courtship Rite
The Pride of Chanur
2010: Odyssey Two

Nebula Only:
No Enemy But Time
Helliconia Spring
The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

While Philip K. Dick Award is completely different:
The Anubis Gates
Tea with the Black Dragon
The Zen Gun
Benefits
The Floating Gods
Millénium

I suppose the best way to find out the difference between these awards is to read them all myself and see what's shared and what's different between them. I was just wondering if anyone else has any information? My 30 seconds of googling didn't come up with much information on the PKD Award. Does anyone have any links to some good gossip about it? Or failing that, some opinions?

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
Nick, I think the catch here is that for the PKD award the novel is originally(first) published in paperback form. Here in the U.S. the big releases usually come out first in hardcover and then roughly one year later they are released in paperback. I'm not sure of all of the reasons that a publisher skips hardcover and goes straight to paperback but some might include a new author or an author that sells well but maybe not enough to justify a hardcover release. I suspect (though I really have no knowledge and it's just a WAG) that PKD might have been the second one. So many of the big SFF releases don't qualify for this award as they are originally(first) released in hardcover.

Strangely enough I looked up Tim Powers on Wikipedia and it says that he and PKD were friends.

As usual I reserve the right to be wrong but in my head this is the major difference between the PKD Award and the others.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
Just to belabor the point a bit since I expressed my thoughts as clearly as mud, I think the PKD Award is looking for lesser known works and/or authors. For example, The Anubis Gates is one of Tim Powers first novels. His new releases nowadays probably don't qualify for this award.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Thanks, that's an interesting distinction, makes a lot of sense for why they'd be different everytime.

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The 2020 Philip K Dick Award Nominees were announced on January 13th.

The Outside
Velocity Weapon
All Worlds are Real: Short Fictions
Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea
The Little Animals
The Rosewater Redemption

Velocity Weapon and The Rosewater Redemption are both books that I'd like to get to. I know nothing about the other four. The only one that I'd seen before was The Outside.

The winner will be announced on April 10th, 2020.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The 2020 Philip K Dick award winner was announced yesterday at Norwescon 43.

Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea by Sarah Pinsker

I remember that one of the stories in this collection (And Then There Were (N-One)) was pretty hyped a few years back and several of these stories have been nominated for various awards.

I haven't read any of her work yet.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Me neither, but I have heard her name around, so looking forward to this one.

message 13: by Joe (new)

This was an interesting shortlist and I'm happy with Pinsker who won it. I read And Then There Were N(One) and nominated for a Hugo that year in the short story category.
Rosewater Redemption and Velocity Weapon are both on my list to check out at some point.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Have you read the first two Rosewater books? I thought the whole trilogy was really good fun, but it was a very fast moving action/adventure type story, so there wasn't much space for exploring the SF aspects (which was a shame, because there were alot of neat SF concepts in there).

message 15: by Joe (new)

I haven't read any yet but the first one is on sale on kindle on Amazon currently so tempted by that. People I trust have found it pretty good overall so gives me confidence to try it.

message 16: by Nick (new)

Please do try them - I'd be interested to know your thoughts!

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
So I picked up The Rosewater Insurrection last week to continue that series. About ten pages in I received a notification that my library hold for Gideon the Ninth had come through so I put down TRI. Finished GtN on Wednesday and planned to go back to TRI. In the meantime I received another notification that another library hold had come through. I logged onto my library to postpone the hold and on the main library page was a recommendation for me, Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea, and it was available for download. So that's what I'm reading now and The Rosewater Insurrection got pushed back again. My library has been coming through for me this year but it's wreaking havoc on my TBR's.

I'm about 20% into Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea and so far it reminds me quite a bit of Stranger Things Happen in that there's some weird mixed in to the stories. I like this one better though because the stories are a bit more grounded.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Haha, libraries are like that! It's good that you're enjoying them though!

My library is closed for coronavirus :(

I'm binge reading all the Vorkisigan Saga for the first time and it's very enjoyable! But it has pushed back my reading list as well - I was planning to intersperse with other things.

Let us know what you think of Gideon the Ninth - I've heard good things.

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The 2021 Philip K. Dick Award Nominees were announced today.

Failed State by Christopher Brown
The Book of Koli by M.R. Carey
Dance On Saturday by Elwin Cotman
Bone Silence by Alastair Reynolds
Road Out of Winter by Alison Stine
The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Some big names on this list but the only one that I've looked at reading is The Doors of Eden and Tchaikovsky has a few other books that I'd like to get to first.

message 20: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
Forgot to add - the winner will be announced on Friday, April 2nd.

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nice to see Alastair Reynolds on the list.
He's the kind of writer who seems to make a lot of nominations but doesn't seem to win often - always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

message 22: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The 2021 Philip K. Dick Award winner was announced on Friday, April 2, 2021 at Norwescon 43.

Road Out of Winter - Alison Stine

Special citation was given to:
The Book of Koli - M.R. Carey

message 23: by Nick (new)

P. K. D Award never fails to be a book that I haven't heard of! I have no credibility as a SF fan!

message 24: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The 2022 Philip K. Dick Award nominees were announced today.

Defekt by Nino Cipri
Plague Birds by Jason Sanford
Bug by Giacomo Sartori
Far from the Light of Heaven by Tade Thompson
The Escapement by Lavie Tidhar
Dead Space by Kali Wallace

The winner will be announced Friday, April 15th at Norwescon 44.