Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group discussion

Award Discussion > Arthur C. Clarke Award Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (finalblowjoe) | 264 comments Mod
Discussion on the Arthur C. Clarke Award; which started in 1987.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 348 comments Mod
What does everyone think of the news about the Clarke Award shadow jury? It's announced at theAnglia Ruskin Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy and has been covered a bit by File 770.

I'm optimistic. When it comes to people discussing Science Fiction, I think the-more-the-merrier! And it's good that there are intelligent people on the real jury and on the shadow one. It'll be interesting to see how closely they agree with each other.

The long list of potential books has been made available by the Clarke Award at Medium. Which six do you think will make the short list?

I'm embarrassed to say that I've read so few of the works that I don't think I can offer an informed opinion. So in the spirit of wild speculation:

- I think Chris Beckett's short stories are wonderful and hope that he gets some recognition for his novel-length work.
- If A Closed and Common Orbit is as bad as it's predecessor then it doesn't deserve to win anything.
- China Mieville is excellent, but I hope he doesn't win again just because it's nice to see new writers and works.
- I've heard great things about Catherynne M. Valente, Yoon Ha Lee and Naomi Alderman, but I haven't got around to reading them yet.

Rachel (Kalanadi) (kalanadi) Nick wrote: "What does everyone think of the news about the Clarke Award shadow jury?"

I didn't know what a shadow jury was until the Clarke Award announced theirs! I'm very interested to follow along and see how it works and what the discussion is like. Also, pretty cool that one of the shadow jury members is a Booktuber (Victoria Hoyle).

From the announced submitted list, I've read 9, and another 9 are on my TBR.

- I loved The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, but I'm not sure I see A Closed and Common Orbit as strong enough to contend with other books on this list.

- I hated All the Birds in the Sky with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, and it will make the shortlist just to spite me. (It won the Crawford Award this week, and I expect to see it everywhere now.)

- Ninefox Gambit. Not sure about any others, but it's good and unusual and tons of people love it. So did I! If it doesn't make the shortlist, I'll be shocked.

I hope to read Europe in Winter very soon. I read the first two books in the Fractured Europe series last year when the 2nd book was on the shortlist and LOVED them.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Nick wrote: "What does everyone think of the news about the Clarke Award shadow jury?"

Like Rachel, I didn't know what a shadow jury was until last week. It sounds a interesting concept and should lead to equally interesting discussion.

I've read 5 from the long list, and own but haven't read 2 of the others. I've met 10 of the authors from that list (mostly Gollancz ones). I can't comment on which books could potentially make it to the shortlist as I haven't read enough to make an informed opinion but do plan to remedy that before much longer.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald I'm so far behind on modern SF&F that I've only read The Fifth Season (very much enjoyed) and heard of The Long Cosmos (gave up after The Long War) from that list. :(

It'll be interesting to see what it gets cut down to.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The Arthur C. Clarke Award shortlist was announced today.

Semiosis - Sue Burke (HarperVoyager)
Revenant Gun - Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris)
Frankenstein in Baghdad - Ahmed Saadawi (Oneworld)
The Electric State - Simon Stalenhag (Simon and Schuster)
Rosewater - Tade Thompson (Orbit)
The Loosening Skin - Aliya Whiteley (Unsung Stories)

The announcement and shortlist can be found at clarkeaward.com.

I've never heard of The Electric State or The Loosening Skin.

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
Forgot to mention - the winner will be announced Wednesday, July 17th, 2019.

message 8: by Nick (new)

I haven't heard of many of these either! Interesting to see how little overlap there is with the Hugos, now that they've come out.

message 9: by Joe (new)

I read Semiosis only a few months ago and really liked it. Revenant Gun was also really good from last year. I'd like to read Frankenstein in Baghdad and Rosewater. I'm not familiar with the other two.

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
This year's Arthur C. Clarke Award shortlist was announced last week.

Finalists
The City in the Middle of the Night
The Light Brigade
A Memory Called Empire
The Old Drift
Cage of Souls
The Last Astronaut

There are some familiar titles on this list but also a couple that I hadn't heard of before this list.

Looks like the winner will be announced in September.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Looking forward to it - glad to see Tchaikovsky turning up again, he deserves it.

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The Old Drift has won this year's 34th Arthur C Clarke Award. I have to admit that I've never heard of it and yet when I looked it up it has already won several awards and is/was on several more shortlists.

It does sound interesting to me except for the fact that it is a multi-generational story that happens over an extended period of time. Those types of stories rarely work for me.

message 13: by Nick (new)

I hadn't heard of it either, but so far Clarke winners are the one's I get on best with, so I'm looking forward to it.

It's a lovely cover!

The Old Drift by Namwali Serpell

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
This year's finalists for the 35th annual Arthur C. Clarke Award were recently announced.

The Infinite
The Vanished Birds
Vagabonds
Edge of Heaven
The Animals in That Country
Chilling Effect

This is the first year that the list is entirely made up of debut novels. I got this from Andrew Liptak's article over on Tor.com. I know very little about any of these but since I also seem to prefer the Clarke winners I'll be checking out at least a couple of these.

message 15: by Nick (new)

I'm having so much trouble even keeping up with past winners - I don't know that I'd have time to check out of the nominations as well.

Interesting that the cover of Edge of Heaven makes it look like the publishers are marketing more towards the crime genre than the SF.

Chilling Effect synopsis sounds like a riff on The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet but with more action.

Over all it looks like a really good range of styles of SF.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon | 355 comments Mod
The winner of the 2021 Arthur C. Clarke award is The Animals in That Country by Laura Jean McKay.

Similar to last year's winner I know nothing about this novel. I don't think I've heard this mentioned anywhere although I will admit that I've been paying less attention to such things this year.