The Never Dying Group discussion

Homeschoolersss

Comments Showing 1-50 of 195 (195 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 4 comments I found it to be a sad video. The message was that if you do not like something, you should shut up anyhow.

message 3: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Sara (weisthis) | 2985 comments Mod
?

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 77 comments i didn't whach the whole thing becouse i got tired of pausing it, reading it, then whaching a wile longer, again.

message 5: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

I didn't have a problem with the speed of it

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 77 comments *shruggs*
got bored of having to read it.
anyway, we've never had half those problems with homeschooling.

message 7: by Squiggles{Kelly}, Apparently it's because I'm not clever. (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 2481 comments Mod
No, it wasn't, Paul. That wasn't the point at all. In fact, you're so off I don't even know where I would begin in trying to correct you...

message 8: by Squiggles{Kelly}, Apparently it's because I'm not clever. (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 2481 comments Mod
You're very blessed, Jim-Bob. Perhaps you live in a very rural area?

message 9: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Like Jeeves...

message 10: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} wrote: "No, it wasn't, Paul. That wasn't the point at all. In fact, you're so off I don't even know where I would begin in trying to correct you..."

don't cha just love ppl like that?

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 77 comments well, we live in a small town. right by the woods.....

message 12: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

cool.
my street runs in back of a forest preserve so all of the houses have big yards & get that nice quiet "I'm in the middle of no where" feel without being in the middle of no where. When you leave my street, there's a really busy street & tons of shopping

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 77 comments oh. well, i wouldn't call it nessasarily quiet all the time, but we definitly don't have heavy traffic. down town is full of old buildings, and old layout. it's pretty cool. it's not that buissy, nor big.

message 14: by Lunabell, Its creepy how this group is called "Never Dying". (new)

Lunabell | 1405 comments Mod
I live in the suburbs, in a really nice, '50s neighborhood. You can hear the freeway, which stinks, but it's easy to get anywhere. Just go down the road, to the right for about ten yards, to the left for a hundred feet, and to the right and down the hill. The entrance to the road up the hill is in a busy shopping center, but the entrance just happens to be surrounded by trees, easy to miss if you go the same angle everybody else does. Once you get past those trees, it's much more open. There's an elementary school down the street from my house though, so on school days, it gets a LOT more crowded... on the third of July, for the fireworks, it's ten times more crowded than that. It kinda stinks.

message 15: by Silver (new)

Silver Oh this reminds me of this time when my mom walked off and this dude (I can't think of his religion, but he's one of the ones who don't use electricity and dress in old-fashioned clothing) started asking us about who worked at home, and who taught us...

And it's so annoying to have people ask me who teaches me, and I'm like, "I teach myself!" and then they're all stunned :p

But seriously, that's what my books are for!

message 16: by Silver (new)

Silver "But what about the Prom" - There are proms for homeschoolers, actually.

message 17: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

yeah

message 18: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Silver wrote: "Oh this reminds me of this time when my mom walked off and this dude (I can't think of his religion, but he's one of the ones who don't use electricity and dress in old-fashioned clothing) started ..."

amish?

message 19: by Silver (new)

Silver Maybe.

My grammar books are Minnonite. The covers show people in old-fashioned clothing. The 8th grade book showed them leading stuff out of a moving truck into their new home.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul | 4 comments this is what my wife and I think about homeschooling. http://coupledumb.com/2009/08/04/1901/
We would love to hear your feedback.
Beware, it might make this group angry.

message 21: by Nightshade, I feel like a bad mod. :( (new)

Nightshade | 1289 comments Mod
I can't watch the vids now, sorry. My computer is being stupid :P

And I homeschooled in third grade.

Wait, Paul, what's your video about? Could you summarize 'cause I can't see it right now? Sorry. Just want to know.

message 22: by Silver (new)

Silver It's not a video. I'm reading it.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul | 4 comments It is not a video but a blog post with our concerns about homeschooling. Take a look when your computer is not acting up.
Thank you.
Nightshade wrote: "I can't watch the vids now, sorry. My computer is being stupid :P

And I homeschooled in third grade.

Wait, Paul, what's your video about? Could you summarize 'cause I can't see it right now? Sorr..."

message 24: by Silver (new)

Silver There is no joy in riding a bike if you remove the threat of gravity.

---

I disagree. I would love to ride a bike with no gravity, seeing as I have such terrible balance I nearly fall off.

message 25: by Silver (new)

Silver What makes you think there is no competition for homeschoolers?

I am a homeschooler and I take a standardized test. I scored in the top 1 percent of my grade for the past two years.

I'm starting to get the feeling you're confusing homeschoolers with unschoolers.

Obviously you are going by just some homeschoolers you know, and you don't seem to be aware that all homeschoolers are different with completely different styles of learning.

message 26: by Silver (new)

Silver Like for instance, I had this friend who was homeschooled and then she switched to a school when she went into high school, and she was saying stuff like, "You're so lucky, you don't have to go to school, and you can sleep in and do school in your pajamas," and all the stuff that people seem to associate with homeschoolers.

Actually my curriculum is more advanced and more work than the average highschooler's. I don't sleep in late during the school year and I don't do school in my pajamas. Unlike some e-schoolers I've known, I don't do four hours of school a day, I do schoolwork all day.

message 27: by Nightshade, I feel like a bad mod. :( (new)

When I homeschooled, it was in third grade. My mom was my teacher. I did fourth grade math instead of third grade (I did that in second grade). I had school from roughly 9-1 every day. I can't remember if I had many pajama days.

message 28: by Lunabell, Its creepy how this group is called "Never Dying". (new)

Lunabell | 1405 comments Mod
Well, pajama days are fun. :P

message 29: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Silver wrote: "What makes you think there is no competition for homeschoolers?

I am a homeschooler and I take a standardized test. I scored in the top 1 percent of my grade for the past two years.

I'm start..."

Yeah, homeschooling and unschooling are not the same thing.
I'm homeschooled yet I still get plenty of interaction and competition between myself and other kids my age.
I have friends that are homeschooled, unschooled, public schooled, and go to private school.
I'm in a group for homeschoolers where we do theater, group projects, field days, and other things.
I've been competing in ice skating since I was three.
I've also been doing softball since I was ten... Oh wait, I thought homeschoolers had no opportunities for competition and socializing.

message 30: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

*Lunabell* wrote: "Well, pajama days are fun. :P"

I'm not allowed to wear my PJs during the school day.

message 31: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Obviously you are going by just some homeschoolers you know, and you don't seem to be aware that all homeschoolers are different with completely different styles of learning.

So true. Just like how public schools have emos, preps, jocks, nerds, etc., so do homeschoolers.

message 32: by Silver (new)

Silver I've been in Suzuki violin since I was five.

The teachers (or at least mine) are always like "It's not a competition! It's not a race!" and yet we're always trying to get ahead of each other.

Most of the suzuki violinists in my group class go to school. I'm the most advanced except for one little kid who's one of those tiny kids who advance super fast. He can play the notes, but not the way an older person does.

message 33: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

(Go Silver!)

message 34: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

I find that the textbooks I use are harder than the ones my "smart" public schooled friends use.

message 35: by Silver (new)

Silver You didn't actually say this, but people who think that homeschooling parents don't know enough to teach their children - aren't you worried about your children, going through the same program that the homeschoolers' parents went through? Aren't you worried that they won't know enough to teach, like, second grade math? (I can teach second grade math. Most people can.)

message 36: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

Silver,
that's what my mom always says.

message 37: by Silver (new)

Silver Sara,
same here.

message 38: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

yay us :-P

message 39: by Silver (new)

Silver ◘◘◘

message 40: by Nightshade, I feel like a bad mod. :( (new)

Silver wrote: "You didn't actually say this, but people who think that homeschooling parents don't know enough to teach their children - aren't you worried about your children, going through the same program that..."

I can teach any math up to geometry! Well, actually, I'm not as good at geometry. So maybe up to Algebra I.

Although once I did some algebra II and calculus.

message 41: by Silver (new)

Silver π

(what is that? lolz)

╒ (???)

message 42: by Silver (new)

Silver oh! it didn't look like that in the font when you're typing it in!!

lolz. it looked like some greek letter.

message 43: by Nightshade, I feel like a bad mod. :( (new)

The first one is pi, the second one is... I don't know what it is, sadly. >_<

message 44: by Silver (new)

Silver As I said in message 42, I recognized it in this font but not in the font when you're - OH is that supposed to be farenheit or something?

message 45: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 2444 comments Mod
message-

yeah. yeah silver. as you said in message

>.<

message 46: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

?

42 is mah fav number :D

message 47: by Silver (last edited Aug 16, 2009 01:46PM) (new)

Silver for years whenever I asked a question my dad would say "42!" and just recently he found out what that's from.

message 48: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

ok thetn

message 49: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 2444 comments Mod
hahaha, your dad rocks. and 42s are literally stalking me. it's weird.

message 50: by Sara, Don't let things deceive you- this group is still alive ;-) (new)

*scary music*

stalkerrrrrrrrrrrrr

« previous 1 3 4