Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group discussion

General > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (finalblowjoe) | 264 comments Mod
Hey everyone. Feel free to say hello and introduce yourself to everyone, if you feel like it (I often never really know what to say). You don’t have to of course, no pressure.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Hey everyone. I’m Joe and I love books enough to create a BookTube channel and now a goodreads group. Every other book I read is Science Fiction, with a large chunk of Fantasy as well. I read small amounts of other genres but nowhere near the amount of SFF.

I go by FinalBlowJoe on social media sites (Youtube, Twitter, Instagram)

message 3: by James (new)

James Chatham (jameschatham) Hi all! I'm James and I do the booktube thing as well. I read mainly SFF and horror, as well as a little bit of literary, thriller, and other stuff every now and then. I'm definitely looking forward to getting into these award-winning books as while I love reading backlist stuff, I do find it quite daunting!

Rachel (Kalanadi) (kalanadi) Hiya! I'm Rachel, and I also have a Booktube channel. I'm here for the Clarke and Tiptree awards - such a nice coincidence Joe's project includes them when I was also planning to read them this year ;-)

I've already read the Hugo & Nebula winners, so I won't be buddy reading those (unless I suddenly need to reread one).

message 5: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 12 comments Hi! I'm Linnea, booktuber from Sweden (if you can stand my accent, check out my channel RobotMariaReviews). I love SFF and sometimes do reviews of movies and games from said genres as well (what can I say, I'm a nerd). I also work at a planetarium, because space is awesome!

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon | 346 comments Mod
Hi everyone! My name is Jon. I've been a fantasy reader all of my life and I throw in some science fiction, mystery and thrillers to add some spice. I am going to try to read along with at least one of the picks per month.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 338 comments Mod
Hi Everyone, I'm Nick. I'm a longtime SF reader, and have become more interested in SF awards over the last few years largely due to the Hugo Awards controversies. I was just reading about the new Clarke Award shadow jury today and that prompted me to join some award-based groups, which I've been planning to do for ages.
I'm hoping to have some interesting discussions about books because I enjoy spirited debate (we had a great debate in my IRL book club about The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet which some people loved and which I thought was terrible).

message 8: by Joe (new)

Welcome to the group everyone. Hopefully there'll be some interesting conversation as time goes on.

message 9: by Nick (new)

I've just downloaded the spreadsheet. Thanks for that, it's beautiful!

Turns out that I've read 15.1% and not a single PKD winner. Looking forward to getting to reading some of these with other people.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (planetshannon) | 3 comments Hi Everyone!

I'm Shannon and I have been recently trying to get back into reading science fiction and fantasy after noticing at some point I had oddly stopped reading them! Given they tend to be my favourite genres regardless of medium, I knew it was time to get back into reading them.

I love following awards and having lists, so I'm so excited that Joe has put this Goodreads group together and shared the spreadsheet. I'm only at 6% overall completion, so there appears to be lots more to enjoy! I was unfamiliar with the James Tiptree Jr. Award but I'm really curious about the titles there, and on all the lists of course!

I chat about books and other stuff over at my YouTube channel.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Hi Shannon,

I had the sort of the same experience last year. I'd always thought of myself as a SF reader, but after a year of tracking books on Goodreads, I found that according to the data I actually read much more fantasy and general trashy fic.
I think it's because the SF stands out in my mind as something that makes me think.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (planetshannon) | 3 comments I hear you Nick, and that is one of the reasons I love science fiction: it makes you think. New ideas, perspectives, solutions, worlds, all that is really cool stuff. I hope to really dive into more scifi, and fantasy too of course!

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (themadrhetorician) | 1 comments Hi All! I'm Lindsey. I have always been an avid reader, however, I am a bit newer to the science fiction genre. I started a project for 2017 of reading all of the Arthur C. Clark awards, so this coincides with my project. (I am grateful for Joe's spreadsheet - thank you!)

I don't have a BookTube channel, but I do use Goodreads regularly if you want to check out what I am reading; which is usually way more than is entirely necessary. ;)

message 14: by Nick (new)

Hi Lindsey, what a great co-incidence that you set out to read the Clarkes and then this came up. I find it really interesting to see how the Clarke list differs from Hugo and Nebula (they seem to be much more similar than any of the others). I'm hoping that when we read them all we end up with the idea of the mood or taste of each award.

message 15: by Abián (new)

Abián Torres (abianko) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm Abián. I've been a fantasy reader since I was a child. I am a bit newer on goodreads (discovered a month ago), but I love all this. I'm here to find new fantasy books and read opinions about that genre (mainly), but I read science fiction too. Hope this group will be really interesting!

message 16: by Nick (new)

Hi Abián, welcome to the group, looking forward to seeing you in the group chats about our monthly reads!

message 17: by Lacona (new)

Lacona Snyder (fungigirl) | 2 comments Hey everyone! I'm Lacona, I'm here of course because I'm hooked on fantasy and sci-fi books, of course. Right now I have too many to read and too little time. Basically, everyone else's problem. Feel free to send me any recommendations.

message 18: by Joe (new)

Welcome to the group Abián and Lacona. Hopefully some of the group reads will be of interest to you and we'll have interesting conversations about them.

message 19: by Sofie (new)

Sofie (sostorm) | 5 comments Hi! I'm Sofie. Fantasy is what got me reading at a young age but now a days I'm more into science fiction.

I love that this group discusses based on award nominations, when I read the Three Body Problem when voting for the Hugo I felt like I had no one to turn to in order to discuss it.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 4 comments Hey, I'm really excited to join this group! :) I just started my reading journey a few months ago so I don't have that many books up my sleeve but I'm hoping to change that. Mostly I read science fiction and fantasy. Right now I'm reading Dune and The Underground City.

message 21: by Lacona (new)

Lacona Snyder (fungigirl) | 2 comments Dune is so fantastic, enjoy!

message 22: by Nick (new)

Yes, thirded, Dune is an amazing book! I actually enjoy the whole series, even though people say that the rest of them are much weaker. I find 5 and 6 to be really interesting because I think he really gets back into his groove in being able to show huge civilisation level changes and still stay in touch with individual characters.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 4 comments I'm really enjoying these books, Dune especially. No spoilers please :)

message 24: by N. (new)

N. G. G. Ellis (ngge) Hi all!
I'm a lifelong SF/Fantasy fan who realized last year that I hadn't read nearly as much or as widely in the genres as I had thought. That's not great considering it applies directly to my work. I've been working off my own spreadsheet of award winners (not exactly the same but close enough) so this group is perfect for me!

P.S. This actually the first time I've heard of booktube. I've got about 10 tabs open with various videos! :)

message 25: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Hi. I've just joined. I have recently discovered science fiction and I think this looks like a good group. I'm looking forward to joining you with "Starship Troopers" next week when my exams are finished.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey-
I recently assigned myself the reading project of reading every Nebula or Hugo winner for Best Novel in no particular order. Should take a couple years at the rate I read and considering the fact I'm always reading other stuff, too. I'm reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (Hugo 1974 & Nebula 1975) now.

message 27: by Joe (new)

Welcome to the group. The Forever War I really enjoyed. It has some really interesting ideas in it and a curious outlook.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I finished it today. The Forever War was an interesting read. At first it seems like a standard sci-fi war novel but Haldeman cleverly introduces ideas without being over obvious.

Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (other topics)