What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Historical Romance: unmarried pregnant heroine asks her cousin to marry her

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Apr 15, 2017 05:41PM) (new)

Deborah The heroine is possibly a widow who has taken advantage of her unmarried status to become what we might call a party girl. She has affairs, drinks and gambles but somehow maintains a toe in society. She finds herself pregnant by her married lover and, rather than be ostracized by society, decides she must get married. She asks a childhood friend, a baron or baronet (John?) who is also a distant cousin. The baron(et) is a widower who already has two sons to inherit. Although he is a highly moral and respected man, he surprisingly agrees to marry her. He has always disapproved of her but secretly loved her. They were raised in the country, where he still lives, mostly.

This may have been a story/novella in an anthology. I read this two or three years ago. Thanks so much for any help!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bump

message 3: by Sorcia (new)

Sorcia MacNasty (sorcia_macnasty) | 10 comments Do you remember the historical time period?

This list might help: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 4: by Deborah (last edited Apr 18, 2017 11:11AM) (new)

Deborah Sorcia wrote: "Do you remember the historical time period?

I believe it was Victorian, but may have been Regency or Georgian. Ugh. Too many possibilities. But I am pretty sure it was in a collection or anthology. I remember thinking that it didn't seem to fit in with the other stories, and that it was different from what the author usually wrote. Thanks for the list, though. I will check on the ones I haven't read yet.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Deborah left the group. Moving to Abandoned.