A Book Club for Diversity (ABCD) discussion

Book Selection Discussion > Vote on February's Book!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karpov (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:14PM) (new)

Karpov Kinrade | 33 comments Mod
EDITED: Okay, the book for February is Negroland: A Memoir It seemed fitting particularly for the US situation at the moment, and a few of you recommended it. Thank you!

I apologize for my delays this month. We are in the middle of a move and internet and time have both been in short supply. We should be settled soon. In the meantime I'll add this to our library and let's get going for February!

Also, for those who are in other book clubs and know how these things work, please feel free to recommend ways to improve this experience for everyone. We're new to running a book club and kind of stumbling our way along. Thanks for understanding! <3 ~Lux Karpov-Kinrade

Hey everyone! I can't believe this month is almost over. We had a book launch this month and a move, so it's a bit crazy in our lives. But I realized we need to start thinking about February book choice.

We could use on the books from past months that weren't chosen. Or select something entirely new.

Since we're still running around like headless chickens, and just pulled an all nighter for our launch, I'm going to open this up to all of you. What do YOU want to read next month that is diverse in some way?

Thanks!

Lux and Dmytry KK

EDITED TO ADD:

Here are some suggestions:

Given by Amber: A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

The Kite Runner

Votes? Suggestions?

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Hickman | 2 comments I know that a lot of people love fantasy, but I suggest reading A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. It's the memiors of a boy soldier in Sierra Leone. I read it years ago and was so moved by the story, definitely eye opening. I would definitely read again. That's my suggestion :)

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise | 21 comments A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
looks good... it's based on actual true events of a young boys life

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise | 21 comments and our public library has this book too

message 5: by Jailene (new)

Jailene Jewell (i_am_bad_wolf) | 9 comments If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan looks really interesting.

message 6: by Jailene (new)

Jailene Jewell (i_am_bad_wolf) | 9 comments Or Negroland: A Memoir by Margo Jefferson

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 3 comments I think I prefer "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" as the February selection. It sounds very interesting.

message 8: by Joan (new)

Joan Negroland: A Memoir has my vote. A book recounting "life among the black elite" in the USA will certainly show a perspective often overlooked.

message 9: by Toya (new)

Toya Valentine (valentinetoy) | 8 comments Hi all! I am not sure of the rules on series (if there are any) but the Book Karma is pretty awesome. It is free on Amazon right now. The only thing is that this is a series and the way the book os going I will most likely get the next book...... Anywho, it is a quirky paranormal action-romance. I was hesitant at first just by the blurb alone. I didn't want something completely silly, and even though believing that Karma, Fate, Lady Luck, etc. exist and actually get assignments is dang near impossible. However, it has just enough spunk to make you enjoy even this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMNRWQ4/...

(I have read all types of books in the past and def watch all types of movies. But I cannot seem to kick my paranormal genera out. I will read the bad boy biker-mafioso-millionaire novel in between, but mostly supernatural series).

message 10: by Toya (new)

Toya Valentine (valentinetoy) | 8 comments Hey Guys it's me again!

Another really good book series is "A Dark in You" by Suzanne Wright. So far there are two books and I am eagerly awaiting book 3. They aren't free on amazon however but may be at your library I am not sure. It is action packed, full of sexy chemistry between Knox and Harper and lots of supernatural angst.

Here is the blurb:
"Part of a small demon lair in Las Vegas, tattooist Harper Wallis lives a pretty simple life. That changes overnight when she discovers that her psychic mate, or 'anchor', is a guy who's rumoured to be the most powerful demon in existence. Compelling, full of secrets and armed with raw sexuality, Knox Thorne is determined to claim her as his anchor, creating a psychic bond that will prevent their inner demons from ever turning rogue.

The billionaire also wants Harper in his bed.

She's not so sure she wants either of those things. No one seems to know what breed of demon Knox is, only that he's more dangerous than anything she's ever before encountered. But he refuses to walk away. And when an unknown danger starts closing in on Harper, it seems that Knox is the only one who can keep her safe."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018GW...