THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Getting book clubs interested

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Engel | 11 comments Does anybody have anyone have experience getting their book purchased and read by book clubs? Are there lists out there that book club organizers use to choose books for their group?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nancy

message 2: by Luna (new)

Luna Claire (lunasaintclaire) | 58 comments I've put in a request on a couple of them that are on Facebook. Type in Book Club into search. There are dozens. I have not been chosen yet, but hope to...

message 3: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Webster | 1 comments I have been very fortunate to have a number of book clubs select my book as their monthly read - and it has really helped my book. My focus has been on local book clubs. What I have learned is that word of mouth is the way to go. Many people are in several book clubs - and a good experience is passed on to others. My attempts to "market" to book clubs has met with little success - word of mouth has been the key. Now I am seeing that these same book club attendees have family and friends elsewhere - and now the word is being passed along. One note - the scheduling is usually 6-12 months ahead. Book clubs take time. I have met with 12 during the last 4 months, most in person but also using Skype. It has been a great experience.

A Smile in One Eye: a Tear in the Other
Ralph Webster

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Engel | 11 comments Thanks Ralph for the good advice. I probably will start attending local book clubs. A friend of a friend connected me to a book club she belongs to and the group leader sent me an invitation with questions from LitLove about a specific book. It helped me formulate questions that a book club could use to discuss my book.
Anyway, as with most things, personal contact or word of mouth sounds like the way to go. Thanks, Nancy

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bates (sarahbates) | 83 comments Like Ralph, I have had good luck with local book clubs. I also agree word of mouth is key to being chosen. I contacted all of the bookclubs I could find in San Diego County where I live and learned the lists were woefully out of date. Moreover, the clubs affiliated with libraries which I thought would be a slam dunk, weren't interested either. Warning about bookclubs. Instead of each member buying a book they pass one book around and/or check out the one copy from the library. Bookclubs make authors feel good, but they don't produce sales.

message 6: by Jim (last edited Jan 27, 2017 01:58PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Having all formats (print, audio and electronic) of a book placed in local libraries often attracts attention from members of local book clubs. If they read and enjoy the work, they may recommend that their club purchase and include it as a future discussion topic.

The author is often invited to appear at some of the libraries for a formal presentation and book-signing. This occasionally leads to an invitation from an attendee to appear at a future date at one of their book club's meetings.

message 7: by P.G. (new)

P.G. Lengsfelder | 27 comments Ralph wrote: "I have been very fortunate to have a number of book clubs select my book as their monthly read - and it has really helped my book. My focus has been on local book clubs. What I have learned is that..."

Thanks. I tried offering free video Q&A's with book clubs via Skype, with no response, NONE! This surprised me as my book is getting excellent reviews and is perfect for book club discussion.

If anyone has suggestions as to how to reach out to book clubs (not local), I would be appreciative.