Gentle SPECTRUMS discussion

Gentle Spectrums 2017! > General Gentle SPECTRUMS

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) | 979 comments Mod
It's here! Our sign-up page for this companion group's titular home! I give you: Gentle Spectrums 2017! https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/gentle...

Don't miss looking up. I wonder how many of you notice that all of our group information and brand new Gentle Subjects are renewed here too!

message 2: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jan 31, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Our Gentle Spectrums review page is finished and our RIEDEL Fascination year starts tomorrow! https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/gentle...

Each of these took a lot of work because I like my review pages to be clear and nicely decorated with pretty book covers. Those take a lot of thought and are never random. I choose a book cover that matches the alphabet span but also one I have read or am going to. I hope everyone peeks into our review pages to follow our entries, whether or not they are doing it themselves.

message 3: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Apr 14, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

One of our categories is celebrations and traditions. I wish a happy Easter and peaceful long week-end to all my people! Yours warmly, Carolyn & our cat family.

message 4: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 11, 2017 09:43AM) (new)

For the second year, one of our topics is music or musicians. Having album copies doesn't seem as important right this minute as physical books, because I don't have a higher quality record player and our cassette decks no longer work. However collecting music in hand is important to me too and I was sorry that HMV music stores closed all across Canada. Future Shop is gone, who used to have a fantastic selection, Best Buy cut their music department and Ron noticed, on birthday shopping trips for me, hardly have the blu-rays & DVDs that they did. There might be one supplier of new releases in Winnipeg, otherwise we'll have to hope used shops have a good selection.

Even though the plug was pulled, I told employees on my final two shopping trips to HMV, that I am among those who love having a place to buy real copies of music. One shrugged because their jobs were already on their way out. Most thanked me for saying my family is not among those demographics feeling our world doesn't need music stores. For new music, since Wal-Mart's selection is so tiny, this leaves Amazon Canada. I will post a full article about this at my blog today, including a pricing uproar I discovered at Amazon.ca last night. Please look me up at RIEDEL Fascination.

message 5: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 11, 2017 10:31AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments I have noticed the Best Buy here has removed almost all their computer equipment and is just focusing on gaming mainly. I have a bad feeling they are in for rough times and may eventually fold, sort of like Circuit City once upon a time.

Sorry you are having trouble finding large selections of physical music in stores. I have the same issue if I went searching. Our music store closed down a long time ago and I don't notice CDs except - as you said - maybe the small area in Walmart.

Depressing but so much has gone digital. I am against getting rid of physical things for digital only for the most part - but I will say I never cared for the CD format and always found it weaker. I had bad luck with it for movies and music, so it wasn't a format that meant much to me personally. It would be nice to find a place to get records I actually liked for cheap (sometimes thrift stores have them), but the record players I have for my systems break so easy too it's just frustrating.

There's something old fashioned and nostalgic about playing records every once in awhile.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments Since I have the Roku hooked to both TVs, I play music through the YouTube app in the living room or bedroom at times. On my kitchen table is my small system that is made to look retro (with record player, tape player, radio, etc.) - I use the tape player adapter for my phone (8tracks.com playlists) or MP3 player. I also of course play music off my computer speakers and through the program MusicBee in there.

Life would be so sad without music, wouldn't it?

message 7: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 11, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

You have a lot of great places to play it. :) My article is done! One includes an idea of how MANY records I collected since I was a teenager. Another is a small glimpse of my home city, Winnipeg. It is perfect for this article. I took it in 1996, because Corey Hart was so poplular again that year (one of my heroes), that he was on billboards! I met him that year too at a Blockbuster video meet & greet.

Videotapes can be more stable than DVDs & blu-rays. It was only one wrinkle versus jumping a whole chapter. But there is a reason and solution for blu-rays that we discovered. Another article for another time! Here is today's. And yes, I think even if many of us play with MP3 and Ipods frequently and even Kindle-readers; it definitely does not mean they are in support of our cities losing real formats and bricks and mortar stores. Somebody has to send that message, so here we are. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/0...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments The articles sound like fun - will check it out. I enjoy learning about peoples experiences with music and books.

Neat about meeting Corey Hart :)

I've had some videotapes last 20 years, but DVDs seem to degrade on me, even if I don't use them. A shame. I have some that still work fine, of course, but you have to be more careful with them. I don't own Blu-rays though so I can't compare.

By the way, what the heck is Best Buy for, if it stopped selling computer things! It is supposed to be an all-purpose electronics and entertainment warehouse. I am here to gather your Florida URLs to store in an easy place. Of course please direct me to personal things at your blog, like what I write, that depict you and your home!

Great memories about meeting a childhood hero, to whom I should explain, I wrote to every year for years. Me and my card-giving! Every May 31, his birthday, I would play all his albums and in school days, I would sport one of his concert t-shirts or at least a few of his rock pins. I didn't mind the kind of ribbing that comes from people taking notice of your favourite things. Hehe!

Therefore there was a long history of him seeing the name "RIEDEL', which most non German-speaking people find difficult to pronounce and spell. (I before E is said the same way as Justin Bieber. Rhymes with needle, accent on the first syllable the same way). All through school and business, I heard "rydell" until I told people differently. Still they mispelled the e before the i.

Well anyway, there I was at Blockbuster video in Osborne Village that momentous 1996 day. As Jim Carey said in the movie "Ace Ventura": "This was my Graceland"! I went up to the table, with my Mom, while several friends trying to sneak pictures because we weren't supposed to pose with him. I was proud of the rare record I had to show him, which he really gazed at to see where it was printed! His 1992 album, "Attitude & Virtue" and we know from today's blog article that records were rare by that year! It was also discontinued even though I love it so I hoped to touch him that way too. When I said "Here is a letter for you, since we won't have much time to talk", he saw my name and return address and he all of a sudden said: "Oh! I know you! You have written to me for years! Thank you for that"! or something similar. :)

That night was his concert and although I had fantastic third or fourth row seats with my parents and a couple of friends: I made it past security to the stage with the other big fans. Does everybody know how audience members will reach out if an artist gets near and maybe the artist will shake hands with you? I wasn't doing that. I don't think anyone was. So imagine my shock and forever thrill that RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS SONG, the great Corey Hart recognizes me, comes forward, and TAKES ME HAND!!!! He smiled and the look I read was "I read your letter. Thank you so much. I want to acknowledge that I know and appreciate you". :-) Ah, what a day!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments Wow, the story of your childhood hero and meeting is wonderful. How neat you recognized and remembered you from letters! I couldn't image the thrill.

And geez then he takes your hand at concert? Amazing.

I actually was pronouncing your name "rydell" in my head as well so I'm glad you cleared up the pronunciation.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments C. wrote: "By the way, what the heck is Best Buy for, if it stopped selling computer things! It is supposed to be an all-purpose electronics and entertainment warehouse. I am here to gather your Florida URLs to store in an easy place. Of course please direct me to personal things at your blog, like what I write, that depict you and your home!"

I don't do TOO many personal posts on my blog outside reading related, but My tours and vacations may be of interest to you

I mainly am showing pictures and talking a little about a trip to San Francisco, local libraries, Universal Studio trips, etc. with these
http://www.paperbackstash.com/search/...

message 12: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 12, 2017 02:35PM) (new)

I'm on it! I have been to the state but learned about the never-ending marvels of San Franciso many years later and must see it. Anytime you have updated something book-related at your blog or personal, this is what our group is for! I hope the others do the same. Add books to the group reading list, photographs, links, start topics.... What's mine is yours.

Yes, meeting Corey Hart (the first time!) really was a dream come true. I loved him since 1985 (didn't everyone)? Waiting until 1996 felt like a lifetime at that age. I waited from 1985 to 2010 to see A-ha in concert and had to fly to Toronto for that! No meeting Morton Harket and the boys but I freaked when them and then Morton took the Massey Hall stage. Brother Timmy and wife accompanied Ron & I. There *is* an even more jaw-dropping follow-up story about "his royal Coreyness", as I jokingly call him.

Speaking of writing and pronouncing my tough but only six-letter name; I had a feeling you were going 'rydell'! I hope you aren't thinking 'Caroline' (rhyming with 'wine') too. Of course you know you write it CAROLYN. It rhymes with 'gin'. Pretty much "Carol" + the sound "lyn" (but only one L).

I paused this to remove a woodtick. So much for laying in the grass with Spirit and Conan, the day after it was -0C at night. Those things don't freeze, only hibernate and are back, for half the summer!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments I'm happy to say I was actually pronouncing your first name right then =)

I haven't updated the vacation feature for awhile now - I really should show some my pictures of St. Augustine, which I consider my favorite city in the world so far.

I'm delighted you commented on the San Francisco post. It was definitely a nice experience. I answered you at the site as well.. Unfortunately it was US only because of airfare.

message 14: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 12, 2017 05:03PM) (new)

At this time only a few comment on any of my things, which I probably put eager energy into just as much as anyone else. I hope people appreciate how many comments they get every time they write a blog post especially! Therefore I definitely would visit those special people who give my writings and sharing the light of day. You have anything you want me to see, especially getting to know you as a friend; you lead me to it! For instance, were I to meet you at the Goodreads convention; I wouldn't know how you looked! It's all adorable fairy thumbnails. Hehehe.

message 15: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited May 13, 2017 07:36PM) (new)

Here is one of my most off the wall subjects! It matches the Gentle Spectrums challenge category, "History": books written in or depicting 50 year ago: 1967. What sparked it was labouring over "The Roman Hat Mystery" for eight days. When I finished today, not being able to stand the writing was the main impetus for issuing one star. However I was astonished to find people shrugging off racism! My article, a calm and congenial conversation to which I invite everyone's opinion, is about how I think people mistake outmoded expressions, where harm was not meant, with prejudism: thinking someone was lowly.

One woman wrote that we aren't reflecting history properly if we give a low grade in reaction to prejudism. Well, my second point is an important one: I don't believe racism has ever reflected all people, in any point in time! It is a personalized attitude. We are not penalizing a book's era, if we give a low grade to something we abhored. I'll leave you to my examples. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/0...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments C. wrote: "At this time only a few comment on any of my things, which I probably put eager energy into just as much as anyone else. I hope people appreciate how many comments they get every time they write a ..."

It was actually funny, speaking of adorable fairy thumbnails. Two people were joking wondering what I looked like, if like a pinup since that's what I usually used as my picture

I find so many people don't leave comments on blogs and websites anymore unless it's debating in news articles. I do like the Disqus system since it has different ways of signing in.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 230 comments C. wrote: "Here is one of my most off the wall subjects! It matches the Gentle Spectrums challenge category, "History": books written in or depicting 50 year ago: 1967. What sparked it was labouring over "The..."

Sounds interesting. I haven't heard of the Roman Hat Mystery. Will read your blog post.

The summary for "Gentle Spectrums" is here! Come and say how you are doing, or read about it. :) https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/1...

"Gentle Spectrums" 2018 is finished and can be joined! The accompanying review page might take a few days because its eleven categories make the most work. However we are grooving. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/gentle...