Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Four Weddings and a Sixpence: An Anthology
This topic is about Four Weddings and a Sixpence
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Four Weddings and a Sixpence

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 635 comments Hey guys :) I lost track of all the updates we were commenting on, so I thought I'd start an official discussion ^^

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "Hey guys :) I lost track of all the updates we were commenting on, so I thought I'd start an official discussion ^^"

Oh! Great idea! Hey I had one other question on Guhrke's novella...what was with the weird use of "appreciated"? I looked up alternate definitions and I think it technically could be used though it just weirded me out :)

Andrea | 635 comments So what did you guys think of the individual stories so far? I'll go first ^^

Something old:
I really liked the prologue. I thought it set the story up quite nicely, and the idea to use and old coin as a good luck charm was adorable.

Something new:
I really loved this one up until the end where they just needed to go at it against a wall. I think we can all agree that came out of nowhere and was a bit too soon given the circumstances. But I loved Sloane's writing, and these are the characters (JQ's excluded 'cause I haven't gotten that far with her story ^^) that I felt the deepest connection with. I think I'll be giving this 4.5 stars.

Something borrowed:
Meh. This one just didn't do anything for me. I didn't really like the heroine, but the hero was a sweetie. As with the first, the sex scenes ruined things for me, and it was a bit too dramatic for my tastes. I guess I'd give this two stars? It honestly left very little impression on me...

Something blue:
Oh dear lord, where to start with this... I did not like this. At all. I didn't like the hero and his obsession with bringing the heroine's father down. Even if he is a bad guy, she did not deserve to have her life ruined like that (and let's face it, if they hadn't reconnected, the man would probably have done absolutely nothing to help her get through the scandal). Becca and I talked about how this maybe could've worked as a full-length novel because then MAYBE there would've been enough time to set up where they came from and why they acted the way they did. Thoughts? As it is, however, I'll be giving this 1 star...

...And a sixpence in her shoe:
I just started this, but I am LOVING this already. I loved the beginning with Bea (in true JQ fashion) doubting that a coin will have any effect on he life. This being JQ, this is the heroine I can best identify with: an adorable little dreamer who looks for shapes in the clouds and loves to stargaze? Love her already :) I also really loved the moment when he too thought how this one particular cloud looked like the Taj Mahal. I think these two are going to be precious together...

Andrea | 635 comments Becca wrote: "Hey I had one other question on Guhrke's novella...what was with the weird use of "appreciated"? I looked up alternate definitions and I think it technically could be used though it just weirded me out "

I didn't even notice that... Do you still remember the page number?

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Hey guys :) I lost track of all the updates we were commenting on, so I thought I'd start an official discussion ^^"

Good Idea! I lost track too and as I told you before, I don't get notifications so I'm forever looking for your updates *sigh* but somehow I do receive notifications from this group so that's good :)

message 6: by Lacey (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Hey guys :) I lost track of all the updates we were commenting on, so I thought I'd start an official discussion ^^"

Oh! Great idea! Hey I had one other question on Guhrke's novella..."

This is exactly how I felt when I read it! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed :D I re read it three times. It just felt weird as you said it.

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "This is exactly how I felt when I read it! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed :D I re read it three times..."

What are you guys talking about? ^^ I didn't read this one very carefully, so I have no idea what you're referring to :(

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "So what did you guys think of the individual stories so far? I'll go first ^^

Something old:
I really liked the prologue. I thought it set the story up quite nicely, and the idea to use and old ..."

I loved the prologue and thought it was sweet and I really liked the idea of a lucky coin.

I loved the first novella! The characters were great and as you said it, they're the one I felt the deepest connection with (so far! waiting for JQ characters) and I just loved the hero's name so you could say I was halfway in love with him the moment he was intoduced! :D and we all agree; the ending scene was not necessary. So I'd give it 4.5 stars.

I liked the second novella. I didn't really care for the heroine but I loved the hero :) I loved their conversation and how they're at ease with each other. The sex scene was unnecessary IMO and it was what bothered me just like the first one. So, I'd give it 4 stars.

I haven't finished the third novella yet but I'm not liking it at all so far :( I agree with you, it should have been a full length novel. That's what I thought too. Then we might get to know the characters better, understand their reasons and maybe end up liking them. I'll rate it when I'm done :)

Well, I haven't gotten to JQ story yet, but from what you're saying it sounds great! I can't wait :D.

Becca | 209 comments Ok, I loved the Prologue and thought it was an adorable set-up for the anthology. I've enjoyed the theme.

Something New:
This was my first taste of Stephanie Sloane's work and overall I enjoyed it. Both characters were likeable and I enjoyed the simple, but well-executed story. I didn't like the quickie against the door that was thrown it and thought that was inappropriate, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

Something Borrowed:
At first, I was put off by this heroine and thought she was a silly scatter-brain who was meddling in the hero's life without thought to consequences. However, I ADORED the hero. I really enjoy reading about the stoic types and I liked reading about his struggles with duty and love. While I didn't like this story at the beginning, it grew on me because of the hero. And as for the heroine, her madcap behavior ended up actually being good for the hero so I ended up being satisfied with the end. As for the sex scene, this one didn't bother me as much, particularly since I felt like it was more of a result of the adventurous heroine and the hero finally reaching his limit. Overall, I was really happy with this one. I think though, if this had been longer, the heroine would have started to annoy me.

Something Blue:
I really didn't like this one. The writing is good (except for all those darn "appreciated"s but my problem was the poorly matched characters. I saw no reason why they should be together. The hero was cold and calculating and had no room for compassion for the heroine and what his actions were going to do to the heroine's entire family. As for the heroine, I liked her ok, but didn't feel like I really knew her or understood her actions. I felt like there was nothing tying them together except what the author told us about their deep love before this story begins. I felt like the hero's desperate search to ruin the heroine's father would eventually sour their marriage and I didn't believe in the HEA. My least favorite by far.

And a Sixpence in her Shoe:
I am two chapters in and loving it. I am already invested in both characters and see similarities that will eventually draw the two together even though they don't see it yet. Quinn is definitely queen of romance for a reason and her fun story opening shows that. I look forward to returning to these two to see what happens next :)

Becca | 209 comments Haha I am looking at our synopses and we are pretty well aligned. It is funny how similar our tastes are <3

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "Haha I am looking at our synopses and we are pretty well aligned. It is funny how similar our tastes are <3"

Yeah! it's really great to have friends with similar tastes. Reading this book together was a lot more enjoyable :)

Andrea | 635 comments Yep, totally worth the wait so I didn't have to read it alone :)

Andrea | 635 comments It's such a shame JQ's story is the shortest... Can you imagine how precious that would've been as a full-length novel? *dreamy sigh*

Lacey | 267 comments Finally done with the third novella. I didn't like it very much at the beginning and nothing changed my mind as I read. I felt bad for Ellie when she finally faced the truth about her father and I really hated Lawrence! I found him cold and even at the end, he was still so obsessed with bringing her father down more than he loves her ( I mean he never told her he loved her when she told him she still loved him and I just like it in a love story when they confess their love for each other at the end).

Anyway, I'm finally going to read the story I anticipated the most! so happy reading to me :D.

Lacey | 267 comments One of the reasons I really disliked Lawrence is at the ending when Ellie says she's really sorry for ruining his case by letting her father escape and that if wanted to cry off he could and he answers her by saying that he can't because he's taken her virtue and no gentleman would do such a thing.. like, seriously?!! How very romantic.

Lacey | 267 comments I'm only two chapters in and I'm loving it! I'm smiling like an idiot and I can't put the book down I just want to know what happens...

Andrea | 635 comments I agree, they were not very convincing as a couple. I mean, we are told they are good together, but since you only see them yelling at each other and him ruining her life without a shred of empathy for what she's going through...

But have fun with JQ's story! I already finished, and it was just sooooo short :(

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "like, seriously?!! How very romantic..."

Yep. That was just awful. I kept asking myself why he didn't freak given how obsessed he was with arresting that man. And going from that to dropping it because... reasons? was just so weird.

But hey. At least you get to read JQ's story right after that one ^^

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "It's such a shame JQ's story is the shortest... Can you imagine how precious that would've been as a full-length novel? *dreamy sigh*"

SO true! Oh man, I loved Julia Quinn's but it was so quick! Argh! I could have had hers go on for a novel. I loved the setting, I loved the aunts, I loved the MC's, I loved everything! And it all ended so soon!!

Becca | 209 comments Lacey wrote: "One of the reasons I really disliked Lawrence is at the ending when Ellie says she's really sorry for ruining his case by letting her father escape and that if wanted to cry off he could and he ans..."

I know!! That was what lost it for me. We were in the denouement and he is railing at her for protecting her father. That kind of vitriol will never last in a marriage. It will eventually turn to bitterness. On an interesting note, Caz commented on my review and said she listened to the audio version and thought that the story with Lawrence and Ellie was the best of the group. It got me wondering if the emotion of the narrator changed the meaning of the words that we read on the page so she enjoyed it. Something to ponder :)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Lacey wrote: "like, seriously?!! How very romantic..."

Yep. That was just awful. I kept asking myself why he didn't freak given how obsessed he was with arresting that man. And going from that to ..."

YES! no reasons at all.

message 22: by Lacey (last edited Jan 27, 2017 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacey | 267 comments I couldn't help it, I finished JQ's story ( well it's a very short story:( ) I LOVED it! I loved all the charatcters, Frederick the most. He's just amazing..*sigh* it was a very sweet story, well written. I'm glad it was the last one, but I wish it was the longest:( I didn't have enough of them.

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "It's such a shame JQ's story is the shortest... Can you imagine how precious that would've been as a full-length novel? *dreamy sigh*"

I couldn't agree with you more! it was tooooo short!!

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "I agree, they were not very convincing as a couple. I mean, we are told they are good together, but since you only see them yelling at each other and him ruining her life without a shred of empathy..."

Yup. Not convincing at all.

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "Lacey wrote: "One of the reasons I really disliked Lawrence is at the ending when Ellie says she's really sorry for ruining his case by letting her father escape and that if wanted to cry off he co..."

Hmm... it could be. But I've never really been a big fan of audiobooks .Among the ones I've listened to, there're only two I liked. Usually it's the narrator that bothers me, I haven't yet found a narrator that I really love.
It's fascinating how people's tastes are so very different; I really didn't like that story and yet there are people who liked it!

Andrea | 635 comments Becca wrote: "Caz commented on my review and said she listened to the audio version and thought that the story with Lawrence and Ellie was the best of the group. It got me wondering if the emotion of the narrator changed the meaning of the words that we read on the page so she enjoyed it. Something to ponder :)"

I don't know. I mean. Sure, it could have been more emotional, but I don't know if that particular story would ever work for me. More likely the urge to shout "RUN, you stupid idiot" would be bigger when it's an "actual" person saying all the stupid things....
But I agree, a good narrator can change some things. I once listened to something read by Dan Stevens and man, did I hate that plot, but I just kept listening because, well, it's Dan Stevens ^^. Same with Richard Armitage; he read one of my least favorite Georgette Heyers and it sounded like he really wasn't enjoying saying all the stupid things that came out of the heroine's mouth... And I still listened to it. Aaaand now I lost track of where I was going with this... :D

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: " Usually it's the narrator that bothers me, I haven't yet found a narrator that I really love..."

I know the feeling. I have just a few narrators I love listening to. A lot can go wrong for me if I don't like the voice (sometimes it's too high-pitched and annoys me, or something equally stupid I'm picky that way ^^). I really love listening to Richard Armitage, David Tennant, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Dan Stevens... But I have yet to find a female narrator that I really like. So far I only enjoyed Juliet Stevenson reading Jane Austen.

Andrea | 635 comments Ok, so now that we all finished it.... How are you guys thinking of rating it? Because I can't decide between 3 and 4 stars :(

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Lacey wrote: " Usually it's the narrator that bothers me, I haven't yet found a narrator that I really love..."

I know the feeling. I have just a few narrators I love listening to. A lot can go wr..."

I've never listened to a male narrator before, maybe it's why I don't like audiobooks.
I should try one of these since you liked them. I imagine their deep and smooth (like in the books :D)
And a question.. Dan Stevens the one who played Matthew in Downton Abbey?

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Ok, so now that we all finished it.... How are you guys thinking of rating it? Because I can't decide between 3 and 4 stars :("

I've rated it 4 stars because I only hated one novella. But you didn't like two of the novellas so maybe you should give it 3 stars :)

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "Dan Stevens the one who played Matthew in Downton Abbey"

Yep. He read some Agatha Christies (I think Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None) and I listened to The Midnight Palace.

And yes, the others have really deep voices, R.A. in particular... You could always listen to Venetia (one of my all-time favorite books, and not just because of him ^^ He reads an abridged version, but it's still awesome.). David Tennant is just fun to listen to (I listen to a lot of Shakespeare dramatizations he's been a part of), and there's also a fun (if slightly weird- they have a narrator who says stuff like "Fanny knows that..." which is annoying if you know the book, but still) dramatization of Mansfield Park with both him and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Lacey wrote: "Dan Stevens the one who played Matthew in Downton Abbey"

Yep. He read some Agatha Christies (I think Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None) and I listened to The ..."

Okay, I'll try Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express since I've wanted to read it but haven't got it yet (I already got Then There Were None so I'll read it ) and then I'll probably listen to Venetia; I've never read anything by Georgette Heyer and I'm curious.

Thanks for the recommondations :)

Andrea | 635 comments I hope you'll like them :)

I love Georgette Heyer's books. There a bit old-fashioned, but the thing I love about them is that the main couple always has a great connection. They talk about things and get to know each other (when it's not a marriage of convenience of course ^^), and at the end you always feel like these two belong. Venetia has the added bonus of a truly amazing heroine who fights for her man (the dear sweet rake who thinks he's not good enough for her ^^). It's really sweet and funny. I hope you'll enjoy it :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Venetia (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)