Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Couple Next Door
This topic is about The Couple Next Door
Archive - Buddy Reads 2017 > The Couple Next Door - 28th Jan 2017

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Buddy read of The Couple Next Door will start on 28th Jan, everyone welcome to join.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments So happy to say I'll be able to join in! My library got a copy in for me, I'll probably pick it up next Monday.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5869 comments Mod
I've started and read the first 10 chapters. So far, it's all police investigation stuff. I'm wondering if this is what the whole story is like. I'm finding it to be a somewhat interesting story, but a bit of a boring format. I hope there's more to it. I do have some theories already, but no idea if they'll fit as we get more information.

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2017 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
I'm currently on Chapter 7. I'm interested enough at the moment but finding the writing a little cold .... robotic? Detached.

Rachel Poynter (rachiesue) | 61 comments I listened to this on audio and wasn't impressed. So I'm not sure if I had more of a negative vibe from the narrator or just the plot in general. I feel like there are just too many things happening that don't make sense. I'm feeling like it's a bit convoluted at this point :(

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2017 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
So I've just finished chapter 8 and I think we have a first hint of a theory that we are being pointed towards. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm listening to the audio too, Rachel.

Lynn, I think detached is a good word.

message 8: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "So I've just finished chapter 8 and I think we have a first hint of a theory that we are being pointed towards....."

LOL, chapter 9 is basically a summary of everything I just said!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2017 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with your spoiler. That's what I was thinking too, I'm just not sure if that's just what the author wants us to think. I also wonder if (view spoiler)

I'm still leaning towards your theory, I think. But maybe with (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I just started this and got up to Chapter 4.
There were so many mixed reviews and thoughts on this that I didn't know what to expect!
So far, I am intrigued. I am curious to see where and how this is going to go.
(view spoiler)
I am going to read on so I can look at your spoilers.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished chapter 11, probably as far as I'll get tonight, and OMG, the neighbors! Cynthia & Graeme. Yikes!

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Good point, Vicki. I look forward to seeing what you think of one of my spoilers now. :) I thought it was strange that (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I just finished chapter 11, probably as far as I'll get tonight, and OMG, the neighbors! Cynthia & Graeme. Yikes!"

I've just finished chapter 11! HA HA HA HA, we have a (view spoiler)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I thought that too, Lynn! I'm sure we'll find out.

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Ok, I read up to the end of 11.
Yes, Lynn, you hit the nail on the head with your theory.
Kirstie, I dont know about (view spoiler)

This is the kind of book that I never know who to believe and it is hard to know if the obvious thing is the truth or if the obvious thing is just a ploy to make you wonder. I just hope that the answer isn't something so out of left field that the obvious thing would have been much better.

Am liking this one. It is keeping my attention and keeping me wondering.

Melanie (meldoc) Vicki wrote: "Ok, I read up to the end of 11.
Yes, Lynn, you hit the nail on the head with your theory.
Kirstie, I dont know about Cynthia (now I know her name) being in on it. She is so anti baby, anti famil..."

Hi
I get to join in on this buddy read. I have never done that before. I am in agreement with many things that you are saying as "spoilers" but I do not know how to make a comment and then hide the "spoiler" which I am discussing. I don't want to ruin it for those that are not as far along in the book.
Also are we supposed to be reading at a certain pace, is there a schedule?
Thank you...I am totally new to this format.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2017 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki - (view spoiler)

I agree. I hate when they're like..it was the delivery guy! And you're thinking how would we ever have guessed that! I'm assuming it will be someone introduced during the story, otherwise it will be really disappointing.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hi Melanie! Welcome to the discussion. To create a spoiler tag, just type:

< spoiler > what you want hidden goes here < / spoiler >

But remove all the extra spaces. I put those in so you could see it.

We don't have a schedule for this book. I'm guessing it will take me 4 days?? to read it. I don't know about the others (they tend to be faster than I am). When you add a spoiler make sure to say where in the book you are so that others know when they can read it.

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Hi Melanie, welcome to the discussion :)

End of Chapter 11, (view spoiler)

Melanie (meldoc) Kristie wrote: "Hi Melanie! Welcome to the discussion. To create a spoiler tag, just type:

what you want hidden goes here

But remove all the extra spaces. I put those in so you could see it.

We don't have a..."

Thank you!

Melanie (meldoc) Lynn wrote: "Hi Melanie, welcome to the discussion :)

End of Chapter 11, so the husband does have money problems!

It does seem like it's very much pointing to the husband at the moment ...... however I still ..."

Thanks, this looks like fun

message 22: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2017 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Chapter 14, (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Chapter 15, (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Hi Melanie! So glad you are here. This is so fun, you will love this.

@Lynn Ok, I feel dense here, but WHAT is "babygrow"? Is it something that self corrected when you were typing or am I missing something. You typed it twice now... LOL

Kristie (view spoiler)

OOOH, ok, I have to read on now to see what your next spoilers are. It is a good thing I am on the west coast and it is still early.

message 25: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Vicki - Babygrow is a baby onsie. I take it that's not a word you use in the US, do you just call them a onsie? In the UK, a onsie is what adults wear.

Chapter 17 - Well that was a huge surprise! (view spoiler)

message 26: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Chapter 18 - (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Chap 14 (view spoiler)

Chap 15 my thoughts exactly Lynn

Chapter 17 Ok, (view spoiler)

Random thought (view spoiler)

Babygrow vs Onsie - they have adult sized one piece suit? With feet like pajamas or like undergarments?
Yeah, wr just call the baby ones, onsies.

message 28: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Oh yes, Onsies (for Adults) are a very big thing in the UK. They are worn like pyjamas
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Onesi...

message 29: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Serious eye rolling at the end of Chapter 21. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
Chapter 22, and this plot is getting really ridiculous now (view spoiler)

message 31: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
I'm now about to head out to my parents for the day. I will probably get some reading done but you won't get any updates from me. I'll have probably finished by the time you hear from me again.

See you on the other side of this crazy book.

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Lynn wrote: "Serious eye rolling at the end of Chapter 21. ..."

That is what I was wondering. (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Chapter 34

Well, another one that I have to suspend belief on. But having said that I still really like this book. Obviously, I have no problem suspending belief because the last three thrillers I have read have done this. I can see why people are bothered by this book, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

(view spoiler)

Ok, going to read for the end.
Can't wait to hear what you people think!!

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Well, I finished and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I rated it 4 stars. I was hooked and the pacing was fast, the way I like it.

(view spoiler)

Vicki's Review

You guys are the most fun for buddy reads! That is for sure. I can't wait to read some more of your comments as you go through the book.

Melanie (meldoc) Vicki wrote: "Well, I finished and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I rated it 4 stars. I was hooked and the pacing was fast, the way I like it.

The ending not so much. I thought it was unnecessary to have ..."

I have finished this book as well and agree with you. I found the pace to be perfect and kept me turning the pages

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welp...as usual, I'm behind. lol I didn't pick it up at all today. Hopefully, I'll finish in a couple of days and can comment back. You ladies sure are speedy!

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4046 comments Mod
As I thought, I finished the book yesterday but wasn't able to update. Sorry I wasn't able to continue with my commentary.
I've rated it 3 stars, but realistically it's more of a 2.5 stars.

I did find it a fast paced and engaging story, hence why I was generous bumping up to 3 stars rather then bumping down. However it didn't quite work for me.

I found the writing style quite detached and therefore didn't really care about any of the characters. The book was filled with one crazy situation after another (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I've been known to suspend belief before) but I don't think it was written that well, with all the plots twists and outcomes fairly transparent.

Enjoyable romp of a read but nothing great.

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I enjoyed this one and rated it 3.5 stars. It definitely had a lot of unnecessary twists and turns in my opinion- so much so that I didn't care about the characters involved, except baby Cora. And I thought that ending was a bit silly. but overall I enjoyed it- the audiobook was a decent one.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lynn wrote: "...I found the writing style quite detached and therefore didn't really care about any of the characters. "

I wholeheartedly agree. In the authors goodreads file she admits she doesn't use an outline when writing... I think that is a huge part of the problem with this book. The pacing is weird and the story is scatterbrained. When you think things should start making sense, another CRAZY element is added.

It keeps your attention the way an accident does, you can't look away because curiosity outweighs reason.

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn wrote: "Chapter 15, [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicki wrote: "Hi Melanie! So glad you are here. This is so fun, you will love this.

@Lynn Ok, I feel dense here, but WHAT is "babygrow"? Is it something that self corrected when you were typing or am I missing ..."

Interesting. I never even thought anything of (view spoiler)

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn wrote: "Oh yes, Onsies (for Adults) are a very big thing in the UK. They are worn like pyjamas
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Onesi..."

We have those here too, but we don't typically call them onesies. When they have feet that attach, we call them footie pajamas. lol I got my daughters each a pair for Christmas with detachable feet and hoods.

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, I need to read more so that I can read your spoilers and comment. :) Off I go.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Up to chapter 21 (apparently, I should have finished the next chapter so I could read another spoiler!!)

So, (view spoiler)

Well...back at it!

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn wrote: "Serious eye rolling at the end of Chapter 21. [spoilers removed]"

You're spoiler is exactly my thoughts! And, Vicki, we were right! (view spoiler)

Lynn wrote: "Chapter 22, and this plot is getting really ridiculous [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

So, in thinking about this book so far, none of the characters really (view spoiler)

I'm hoping it stays interesting and not too unbelievable.

Next spoiler is at chapter 34, which I won't get to tonight. Hopefully, I'll be back to check it out tomorrow.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished it. I gave it 3 stars, probably would have gone 3.5. I didn't like the very end at all. (view spoiler)

Otherwise, I loved the pacing of the book and I thought the general idea of the book was really good. I think if she was able to be a bit more subtle with her scenes, I would have enjoyed it more and given it 4 stars. I just felt like she wanted to give a suggestion as to what happened in one chapter, then give a shocker in the next chapter, but her suggestion was too strong, so the shocker was already known. I think she just needs to hone her writing a bit.

I would try another book by her.

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments I know I'm late, but I finally got the book from the library.

I've read the first seven chapters and I agree with those who say the writing's a little cold. Not bad, just seems a little impersonal.

Not like the other buddy read I'm doing... Behind Closed Doors, which is a chilling psychological thriller.

But I've only read 70 pages so, I won't make a final judgement yet.

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Can't wait to hear what you think Kristen.