You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > February 2017 YLTO Mardi Gras

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments February Challenge - Mardi Gras aka Gopher Fever

Join us in February to celebrate our own YLTO Mardi Gras. The challenge is to read one book from the list of topics below:

- February: Read a book set in February, or with the word February in the title.

- Mardi Gras is a French phrase. Read a book that was translated from French or is written in French.

- Setting: Read a book set in Brazil (for Rio de Janeiro), or New Orleans.

- Carnival King: Read a book that has a king as a significant character.

- Carnival Colours: Read a book with a cover that is predominately purple, green, or gold.

- Masks: Read a book with a mask on the cover.

- Costume: Read a book with a costume or fancy dress on the cover.

- Beads: Read a book with beads on the cover.

- How do you get beads? Show your boobs! Read a bodice ripper with cleavage on the cover.

General Rules:
1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre unless specified in the criteria.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Survey Says Challenge.
4. The book must be read between February 1 and 28, 2017 (based on your own time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose.
6. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up first on a Goodreads search.
7. There will be no scoring for this challenge. When you complete the book, report your read according to the criteria set up in the reporting thread.

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15089 comments Great challenge Janice! I'll gopher as soon as I get to work. Oh wait, I have a meeting first..

Interesting about the colours! In the south of the Netherlands we also celebrate carnival but the colours are red, yellow and green.

How are beads related to carnival / mardi gras? I had to google what a bodice ripper was, yikes! I'll pass on that option.

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments A lot of the costumes are beaded Peggy, as well as sequined. So they wiggle like a flapper dress, as well as sparkle. That would be my guess.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15089 comments Ah yes, that makes sense! The carnivals in warmer areas of the world are in some ways different from ours, and I was thinking too much inside my little box.

Gophering is much harder than I expected! I had some books put aside for the yearly challenge with a predominantly green cover so I could use one of those (Redfield Farm: A Novel of the Underground Railroad, Forget About It, The Lost Hours (not sure if it's enough green)), or The Elegance of the Hedgehog which is translated from French.

message 5: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Great challenge Janice! I'll try to avoid the obvious (French)... off to gopher...

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Heh understand.

I got that straight away as Mardi Gras for us is the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sy...

I don't have any clue what any other type of Mardi Gras looks like in the Northern Hemisphere to be honest.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15089 comments Looks nice Rusalka!

We don't really have Mardi Gras, the Tuesday is not more important than the other days of Carnival (which officially are Sunday and Monday, but unofficially Carnival starts Friday evening).

Here's some pictures of Carnival in my area: https://www.google.nl/search?q=carnav...

During the day there are some activities outside, but in the evening everything is inside because the weather is too cold.

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:06AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Ah see, ours isn't on a Tuesday, we don't have/celebrate Carnival. It is Mardi Gras in name only, and spirit. With a whole lot of queer ;)

But yours looks just like I would think of an European Carnival! The last play I did in College (yrs 11-12) was called Carnivale and was set in an European carnival. I had no idea it was an actual festival. Looks like we nailed the masks!

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments About the beads. I believe people on floats in the Mardi Gras parade throw them into the audience. A woman who bares her chest as they pass by gets a lot more beads, or so I've heard.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Casceil wrote: "About the beads. I believe people on floats in the Mardi Gras parade throw them into the audience. A woman who bares her chest as they pass by gets a lot more beads, or so I've heard."

This is a picture of a float from which they throw beads to the crowds watching.

We went to New Orleans in March (just months before Hurricane Katrina). There were beads hanging from the trees along the parade route. There was a parade in March - Italian/Irish Parade I believe it was. They threw not only beads but vegetables! We had bags of beads, potatoes, and carrots. Thankfully, we were able to leave the food with the friends who took us to the parade. But we took the bags of beads home.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Peggy wrote: "Great challenge Janice! I'll gopher as soon as I get to work. Oh wait, I have a meeting first..

Interesting about the colours! In the south of the Netherlands we also celebrate carnival but the co..."

I didn't realize that you celebrate carnival in the Netherlands. The website I used as inspiration only mentioned Rio de Janeiro and New Orleans. Perhaps they are the two most widely known.

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15089 comments Yes we do! But only in 2 of the 12 provinces. There's a bit of carnival in some areas of Belgium and Germany too, mostly the catholic parts.

Thanks for the beads picture and explanation Janice and Casceil. I get the link to the cleavage now :)

The parades here throw candy :)

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Ariane wrote: "Great challenge Janice! I'll try to avoid the obvious (French)... off to gopher..."

There's the possibility of combining tasks in one book. Uou could read a book in French that also has a green cover, or has a mask on the cover. It just adds a bit more complexity to your challenge.

One of of my books on Kindle that fits several categories.
Moon Bayou by J.R. Rain Moon Bayou
-Mask on cover,
-Green Cover,
- Set in New Orleans.
I haven't decided if I'm going to read this for the challenge or not. I shall have to gopher a bit more to see what else I have that fits.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments Oh fun! I think I have my book already - Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling I'm doing a re-read of the series and it just so happens that the cover is all green for this book in the series. I planned to use it for my yearly challenge, but I suppose I can just use book 3 for that, unless, of course, I come up with something else for this challenge. :)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments Janice, Moon Bayou looks good too. I have that one on Kindle as well. I also still haven't read Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor which has a mask on the cover, so that would work too.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments That's my problem with Moon Bayou, Kristie. I have it marked as a possibility for one of my tasks on the survey challenge that requires a green cover. But, I have several books that qualify for that task so no big deal if I decide to read it for this challenge.

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15089 comments Thanks for Moon Bayou and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I added both to my wishlist. I might even read one of them for the challenge.

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I can recommend daughter of smoke... I loved it.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Great challenge Janice. I'm not sure whether I can fit a book in or not yet. I will see as February comes around. It's a short month too.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Sarah wrote: "Great challenge Janice. I'm not sure whether I can fit a book in or not yet. I will see as February comes around. It's a short month too."

I know. I dislike February because it makes things tough at work. Most of my clients have payroll cut off on the 25th, with payday on the 30th/31st. In February, I have 2 days to do all my payroll. It causes a bit of a crunch for me.

message 21: by Camilla (last edited Jan 26, 2017 08:40AM) (new)

Camilla | 1995 comments Nice challenge, Janice! My initial gophering turned up Night of the Purple Moon (Toucan, #1) by Scott Cramer , which should work for the purple cover. I'll continue searching to see if I find something else.

ETA: I knew I had something with a mask! The Homecoming Masquerade (Girls Wearing Black, #1) by Spencer Baum

message 22: by Ariane (last edited Jan 26, 2017 08:19AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Janice wrote: "Ariane wrote: "Great challenge Janice! I'll try to avoid the obvious (French)... off to gopher..."

There's the possibility of combining tasks in one book. Uou could read a book in French that also..."

Thank you for the recommendation; I'll consider it ;)
We have carnival, same as Peggy, from Thursday to Tuesday, Mardi Gras.
And on Wednesday, we recover :)

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments I just realized that I also have a copy of My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella for review, which has a green cover. I might go with that too. So many options already.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Kristie wrote: "I just realized that I also have a copy of My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella for review, which has a green cover. I might with that too. So many options already."

That's why I added "aka gopher fever" to the title of the challenge.

message 25: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments I think I'll take the opportunity to read a old Nora Roberts's book, Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts . It's set in New Orleans and has a green and gold cover.

message 26: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1827 comments I think I'm going to go with Death Swatch. Its part of a series I'm working on. It's set in New Orleans and it just so happens this book actually takes place during Mardi Gras.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments Janice wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I just realized that I also have a copy of My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella for review, which has a green cover. I might with that too. So many options already."

That's why I added "aka gopher fever" to the title of the challenge."

Haha. I usually gopher like mad for the challenges, but this one they are just jumping out at me! I love it. :)

message 28: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Mardi Gras isn't celebrated at all where I'm from, but in the Gulf Coast towns and cities it is a big deal. I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast just an hour or so from New Orleans for a few years and Mardi Gras is a huge deal around there. Mardi Gras season starts in January and goes until Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent, which is usually called Mardi Gras Day. Beads are central to the festivities. I'm amazed that so many of you aren't aware of the "tradition" in New Orleans of showing your tatas to get beads. LOL. Because of how Mardi Gras was always portrayed on movies and such, I thought it was just a rowdy party. When I lived on the coast I found out there is actually a family friendly side to the festivities too. Those take place during the day though.

message 29: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Sarah wrote: "I can recommend daughter of smoke... I loved it."

I liked it very much too

message 30: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I will surely collect tons of input for the Survey Ch, being Carnival my favorite festivity...

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments I had no idea about the beads... there you go. Thanks for enlightening me!

message 32: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments All of this Mardi Gras conversation has made me want to plan an impromptu trip to NOLA before Mardi Gras season ends. I wonder what the chances of talking my husband into that would be......

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments Rusalka wrote: "I had no idea about the beads... there you go. Thanks for enlightening me!"

You could start a new tradition. Walk around saying, "Beads please!" and then lifting your shirt. No?

message 34: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments LOL, I bet that would create a lot of really confused but really happy men!

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48775 comments LOL! Yes, I'm sure it would, KimeyDiann.

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments lol I think they would lock me away!

message 37: by Cherie (last edited Jan 27, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I found February, which was on my TBR list and I already ordered it from the library. I found books for several of the other selections too, but the only other one that appealed to me was Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice , which is set in New Orleans and has a gold cover.

message 38: by Joan (last edited Jan 27, 2017 05:22PM) (new)

Joan Perfect challenge to push me into rereading The Way by Swann’s. It was written in French; I am reading the newer translation by Lydia Davis. The Way by Swann’s (In Search of Lost Time #1) by Marcel Proust
Looks like the lady on the cover deserves some beads!
The image seems way off base for the story though.

message 39: by Joan (last edited Jan 27, 2017 06:58PM) (new)

Joan Couldn't wait to start Swann's Way - February 1st was just too far away. Maybe I'll find something else.

message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Oh good! I love themes/categories. Now to figure out which to read.

message 41: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Love the challenge! Now to decide what to read. So much to read, so little time.

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2017 10:30AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I'm tied between And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini or The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass

It sounds really bad but I never knew that was it's name, we just cal it Shrove Tuesday and an excuse to make pancakes.. =/

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Sarah wrote: "Great challenge Janice. I'm not sure whether I can fit a book in or not yet. I will see as February comes around. It's a short month too."

I second this =] It's a really good read

message 44: by Almeta (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:01AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10134 comments Sarah wrote: "It sounds really bad but I never knew that was it's name, we just cal it Shrove Tuesday and an excuse to make pancakes.. =/ ..."

We call it Fat Tuesday and an excuse to eat paczkis!

Believe it or not around here they are pronounced Punch-Key. Go figure! They're kinda like jelly doughnuts, except the dough is a lot richer.

message 45: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Eating King Cake is the tradition I'm familiar with.

message 46: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I've been enjoying gophering for books set in New Orleans. I may read one of these, but not sure which...

The Feast of All Saints
Louisiana Hotshot
Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans
Liquor
Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Almeta wrote: "Sarah wrote: "It sounds really bad but I never knew that was it's name, we just cal it Shrove Tuesday and an excuse to make pancakes.. =/ ..."

We call it Fat Tuesday and an excuse to eat paczkis! ..."

Lol Fat Tuesday. OMG I looked them up they look good *drools*

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments I have a couple in the queue that would fit (translated from French, and purple cover), but I was planning to use them for the yearly challenge. I may go with Blackout: An Inspector Espinosa Mystery set in Rio de Janeiro, and a left over from the Geocache Challenge.

message 49: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 529 comments I shall do the Carnival King - there are always kings popping up in my History or HistFic books! *wanders off to look-see*

message 50: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1651 comments I plan to read The Tin Flute by Canadian author Gabrielle Roy, originally published in French.

« previous 1