Kenyons Minions discussion

Born of Vengeance (The League: Nemesis Rising #10)
This topic is about Born of Vengeance
The League Series > Born of Vengeance (The League #10)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Born of Vengeance will release this month and this will be its' official thread. All chat will be held here. Please be respectful, polite and have fun. Use the spoiler tags if necessary.

Description
A fate worse than death . . .

Bastien Cabarro survived the brutal slaughter of his entire family only to have his wife pin their murders on him. Made Ravin by The League, he is now a target for their assassins-in-training to hunt and kill. The average life expectancy for such beings is six weeks. But defying the odds is what this Gyron Force officer does best, and Bastien won’t rest until he lays his betrayers in their graves.

Ten years later, he has one chance to balance the scales of justice, provided he relies on his former wingman— the very sister of the woman who testified against him.

Major Ember Wyldestarrin joined the outlaw Tavali the day Kirovar fell into the hands of a tyrant, and she and her sister-team were left on an outpost to die under the barrage of enemy fire. The last thing she wants is to be involved in politics again. But the one thing she wants more than anything is revenge on the tyrant who murdered her parents and forced her and her sisters into exile. Carrying a secret she knows Bastien will annihilate her over, she must find some way to trust her former wingman before he catches on and kills her. Even so, treachery doesn’t come easy to a woman who took a loyalty oath to protect her homeworld and comrades-in-arms, especially when Bastien is much more to her than just a former wingman.

Yet as she tries to do right for her family, she learns that Bastien doesn’t just hold the key to the fate of Kirovar, he is vital to The Sentella-League war, and to The Tavali. If she doesn’t ensure he survives this mission, three nations fall, and time for all of them is quickly running out.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Unfortunately I'm like #17 on my library's hold list...

Myst | 734 comments I'm #1.

My library doesn't seem to put a book into the system until the thurs before release. So if you -stalk- keep searching for an author/title throughout the day, you can usually be one of the first holds...until you don't have internet access or it finally gets added at an odd hour and you end up 10th.

3 current holds with 3 total copies.

I'm also the only person with a hold on The Turn

Maria Itliong | 22 comments I'll buy my copy of Born of Vengeance on Friday since it's on a hardback version right now

message 5: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Got the ebook downloaded this morning, and I'm working on it now. =)

Myst | 734 comments Picked up my copy at the library. Unfortunately I've picked up a cold somewhere and reading doesn't feel high on my list.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Started this morning! Can't stay up late tonight, though. Gotta be at work at 7:30 in the morning.

Angela Charles (shasha31) | 6 comments I loved the bonus book. I listened to it on Audiobook and it has to do with my favorite character Julian aka Jules bka Dagger!!!

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 25 comments Well, I got it yesterday while I was at work and class. I started reading it at 7 pm central time. I enjoyed every bit of it to the end because I also finished it last night.

message 10: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Finished it this morning. All in all, I loved the story, and I ended up liking Ember more than I thought I would. I won't go so far as to say she's my newest favorite League heroine--those honors go to Ushara, Felicia, and Sumi, in no particular order--but I did like her a lot.

And I really liked Bastien. I enjoyed reading his POV of scenes from previous books (and no, I would NOT say that they were copy/pasted). =)

Aros is an ass. Period.

And the bonus story at the end was awesome. =)

That is all I have to say for now. XD

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't finished it yet, but I have to agree that Aros is an ass. I like him in the first book but as the series went on, and I read Born of Legend I began to hate Aros.

The man should have picked up a parenting book and tried to get along with Jullien.

and is it wrong that he's worse than Jaden from the Dark Hunter books? I mean with Jaden you know how bad he is, but he still cares about his family. Aros on the other hand... YOU DON'T CHOOSE ONE CHILD OVER ANOTHER!

message 12: by PepperP0t (last edited Feb 08, 2017 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

PepperP0t  | 180 comments Aros would have to get better to be an ass and were any of the outlaw's parents any good?

How dead should Alura be?

though pieces are completely lifted (I checked) from Born of Fury & Born of Legend Also the pieces feel more like reminding you of Bas' past instead of filler and I'm still in fan girl heaven.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'm up to Bas and Dancer have been locked up while Sumi and Dare are climbing.

I love that, unlike with Illy's book, we're getting all of this in Bas's POV. Nor do I mind it being there in the least since it's been so long since I read Hauk's book. I would've been a lot more okay with the same stuff in Illy's book had it been from his POV.

PepperP0t  | 180 comments so the name here is really fan-girls delight.

i agree Rachel, sometimes lifted stuff seems filler but around Bas' backstory and his POV makes it seem less so.

PNR  lover | 18 comments I haven't finished yet but I do think SK is becoming a bit predictable. There is always a family member that has done them wrong or a girl has tricked them or betrayed them.

It feels like this story so far is much like the others. But I'm still reading so it might get better.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am officially done! and I have to say that I like the fact that Sherri gave us a bonus story.

PNR  lover | 18 comments Well finished with this book. Not impressed, many scenes I've already read in other books. I think I may be giving up on this author. This story just seems the same as the rest just mashed up. But with many of the scenes already done.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Finished last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though not as much as Born of Legend. That one will be hard to top.

message 19: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Rachel wrote: "Finished last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though not as much as Born of Legend. That one will be hard to top."

I'm in total agreement with you there, Rachel. I personally think that Born of Legend was epic. =)

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 12, 2017 07:49PM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "Finished last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though not as much as Born of Legend. That one will be hard to top."

It was longer, more backstory and more story... more moments that make my inner fangirl jump for joy.

and it's one of my favorites in the series.

Ludovica | 2 comments read the book,I love it,but I think that the book would have been better if the story would have been longer .The story of Bas and Ember is developed only in the final 50 pages!!!! there was the elements for a beautiful book but they aren't been developed enough

*Sarah Elaine* | 29 comments Picked it up today and read it in 3 hrs. The one major flaw of this book was that it was too short!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we all thought that it was too short... I wish we could have had more interaction between Bastien and his clone (AKA his son) and more interaction with Xander.

and why does Quinn have to still be alive? I don't hate him, I just don't get why he's still alive. I thought that he really didn't add anything to the plot except beeing an extra brother to Bastien.

PepperP0t  | 180 comments Neona I ade my own reality and decided it was all about family resemblance. to show everyone he belonged. That's the only thing Quinn did as far as I could see

Namita  | 396 comments Still waiting to get my copy from the library.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

♑Namita♑ wrote: "Still waiting to get my copy from the library."

Sorry for the spoilers Namita!!! and I hope you get to read it soon.

message 27: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Bartz | 9 comments I finally got a copy from my library earlier this week and started it yesterday. I should be able to finish it today.

Bklyn | 14 comments I have a question for the group, with so many complaining about Dragonmark and Vengeance do you think she will change the way she has written her last two books or continue in this lane?

How you do all feel about it?

message 29: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 734 comments In Vengeance I think it was reasonable since it tied so many different books together. Nyk's book, the Andarion books, Julien's book etc. I personally don't remember who Bastien *was* even though he's apparently played a role in 3-6 books.

Dragonmark it felt out of place.

Bklyn | 14 comments Myst wrote: "In Vengeance I think it was reasonable since it tied so many different books together. Nyk's book, the Andarion books, Julien's book etc. I personally don't remember who Bastien *was* even though h..."

True but it was so much of a copy and paste with no little new material (especially in Dragonmark, I didn't mind as much with Vengeance as I never re-read Jullien's book, didn't like it) and multiple complaints with the copy and paste job in such short books.

Just wondering on how other felt.

message 31: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 734 comments Hey I agree on Dragonmark. It added nothing, especially since it wasn't from Illy's POV. And Dragonmark was a heck of a short book as it was.

It's almost like Sherri is waiting for the CoN books to be finished to be able to finally reveal certain special tidbits so she needed filler. And then she totally skipped over like 2000 years of Illy mourning his lady. Did Illy really do *nothing* for 2k years? Styxx having 10k years glossed over because he was on a deserted island was fine since we got an idea of what he did, but she could've done so much more with Illy. Expanded the Camelot universe or something.

Bluerose | 15 comments I liked this book but excepted more from it. I didn't mind some rehashing from older books since it made sense to the story, it wasn't copy pasted and it was from the main character's point of view. IMO that part was done properly in this book. I agree with the rest thought that it was too short. It was progressing well and suddenly it was over. It was too easy at the end. I know its difficult to one up a book like Born of Legend but this one had potential actually. Regardless, i'm hopeful for the future books since Sherri is working on the mistakes.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope that Nero's book is huge!

message 34: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 734 comments Nero was one of the Trisani right?

Considering how little we've seen of their culture, his book better be chock full of new scenes.

Hate to say it, but I'm tired of the Andarions.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Myst wrote: "Nero was one of the Trisani right?

Considering how little we've seen of their culture, his book better be chock full of new scenes.

Hate to say it, but I'm tired of the Andarions."

Yeah, he's getting his own book and it should be the one after Ryn's

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Still a 4 star story, but I too am starting to get tired of the similar story lines. I want something completely new and creative from AG because she's totally one of the most capable around.

I didn't feel it was a cut & paste job and thought it was interesting to see things from Bas's POV. I did think she fixed everything too quick however that seems to be par for the course with many authors these days. I would have been so happy to have and more time with his adorable son...

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Oh, and I wonder if that bitch Alura was left alive for a future story line? Like she gets dumped somewhere that has very hungry lorinas...

message 38: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Cindi wrote: "Oh, and I wonder if that bitch Alura was left alive for a future story line? Like she gets dumped somewhere that has very hungry lorinas..."

Bastien seemed pretty certain that she was dead ... but ya never know! ;)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Charlotte, Bas & Em BOTH thought each other were dead so I bet that b is too mean to be dead! :)

Namita  | 396 comments I finished reading!!! Finally......let's just say I want to murder some more fictional characters!!

Namita  | 396 comments Cindi wrote: "Charlotte, Bas & Em BOTH thought each other were dead so I bet that b is too mean to be dead! :)"

I would gladly gut her....lol

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Same

Bklyn | 14 comments While I enjoyed the book and love Bastien,Ember pissed me off. She sat their blaming Bas for everything that was truly her own fault. SHE turned her back on him, SHE said she didn't care, SHE kept his son from him, SHE lost faith. All her problems were caused by her actions so I don't see where she gets off on blaming him for anything. If I was Bas I would be more pissed off than he was.

I enjoyed the bonus scene but do NOT like at all where she is taking Thia and Nyk. Bad enough that in order to redeem Julian she tore down every character we loved in order to make him "misunderstood" (sorry not buying it, that is the work of a bad writer) now we make it seem like Thia is an outcast in a family that loves her dearly and ONLY her uncle who tried to have her, her mother and father killed (sorry save the drugged out excuses as he does not let them fly for his mom) makes her feel wanted. REALLY?? This is where she wants to take the story.

No wonder the next book is taking so long. She needs new material and not cut and paste 75 % of the book and she needs to familiarize herself with Aristole's rules of good writing.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments The next book is taking so long because her soon to be ex husband (who's a rotten SOB) stole the manuscript, then started a smear campaign to get her contracts canceled. It's been done for nearly two years, and the one that comea after it is done. But her publisher fell for the lies and is canceling contracts.

Just a side note. If everything you're going to post is bashing the books, are you in the right place? I've yet to see anything positive from you.

message 45: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona Ameli | 4 comments I love this book series, and I think I have been trough all of them between 5 to 12 times. I use the audiobooks, and in the months before a new book comes out I have to hear every book again plus sometimes just one book to have a good time.
I think it's great that we get some scenes from another point of view.

There are a few characters in the series that I really hate, and one of them is Aros. In my mind he's a weak-minded idiot that never has an original thought in his head, but only others opinions. In the start of the book (on the day Bas has to marry Ilora) Aros likes Bas because he is his uncle. The moment Bas is framed for his family's murders Aros turns his back on him and doesn't seem to care about his nephew or finding the truth of his sisters murder at all. And when he meets Bastien again he really shows how little he cares about his nephew and always believes every lie that is told to him, and always goes the way the popular opinion goes. The only one in Bas's family who never belied that he had killed his whole family and never turned his back on Bas was Jules.

And in the end of BoL both he(Aros) and Caristiona sees that Jules is popular and want to "steal" or take part in his popularity after a lifetime of ignoring and mistreating him.

Bklyn | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "The next book is taking so long because her soon to be ex husband (who's a rotten SOB) stole the manuscript, then started a smear campaign to get her contracts canceled. It's been done for nearly t..."

Criticism is not bashing. I am honest and not just worshiping at someone's feet.

Can you deny the last few books have been nothing but cut and paste? Heck, even people who bought Stygain are complaining of the cut and paste job as well as the poor writing.

As to the husband comment..I will ignore it as I do not know the man and will not judge him based on outrageous comments made on SM by his wife.

message 47: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Brown | 4 comments I agree with you Bklyn. I can understand the books not being that great while going though divorce. However, I think the ranting and raving, ex bash to her fans is a little much. The lengthy news letters with all the detail should be kept private. Everyone handles divorce different. Hope the future books get better and the divorce gets final so she can move on.

Bklyn | 14 comments Mona wrote: "I love this book series, and I think I have been trough all of them between 5 to 12 times. I use the audiobooks, and in the months before a new book comes out I have to hear every book again plus s..."

I am not a fan of BoL at all. I think it is poorly written and drags on way too much regarding his past in order to garner sympathy for a character she wanted the readers to hate in the beginning.

I am actually listening to it on Audible right now and cannot count how many eyerolls I have done.

I do think that her earlier books need to be revisited. I say this because when you compare the detail in BoL with Nyk's book, she cheated Nyk out of a lot of story. I chalk this up to Nyk's book being first and thus her not knowing where the series would go. Same with Syn's and Devon's. I think their stories could do with a re-write.

In my opinion she went overboard with BoL - working out personal issues in her writing and the book suffered for it. Julien became "superman", the best at everything. There is no need for any other character truly because super Julien can do it all better than anyone before him. That does not make a character beloved it makes them obnoxious.

This is just my opinion, but I have noticed I am not alone in my feelings.

Bklyn | 14 comments Angelique wrote: "I agree with you Bklyn. I can understand the books not being that great while going though divorce. However, I think the ranting and raving, ex bash to her fans is a little much. The lengthy news l..."

Thank you. Putting your personal business in the street for all to see does not make you a sympathetic figure, it makes you look insane. This is a private issue and should be dealt with privately. The husband has not made one statement. All information is coming from her and every week there is more and more.

I know she had childhood trauma and I often wonder if her reliving it in her writing (which is quite plain to see) has not triggered some form of PTSD.