Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Adding Tags to my book information

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Vollstadt | 5 comments How can I add Tags to my book ( i.e. middle grade, coming of age, etc.) so that it can be found by people looking for a certain topic.

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Add it to your shelves by those names. Genres are crowdsourced based on how users shelve the books, and will show up on the right hand side as soon as enough people have done so (and "enough" is a pretty small number, so you may as well seed it by shelving it yourself!)

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Vollstadt | 5 comments How do I add it to my shelves? It's a new book and I'm starting a Giveaway next week.

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Under the cover on the book page is a green button "Want to read" and a small drop down arrow on the right. Click the arrow part, not the "Want to read" part.

First add it to read, and the "Want to read" will change to read.

Do that again, but this time, at the bottom of the list, choose "Add shelf" and type in the box the name you'd like to give your shelf, for instance "middle grade". Repeat as many times as you like, you can have as many shelves as you want or make sense to you, to organise your own reading as well as your books.

As more people shelve the books, the genres will start to populate on the right hand side, and your book will start to show up in genre searches. The system combines similar tag variants so people don't have to spell it exactly as you do for this to happen. For instance, if you shelve it "middle grade" and someone else shelves it "Middle School", both will be aggregated to "Middle Grade" the genre.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Vollstadt | 5 comments Thanks very much. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it worked out.