Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2017 Women's Century Challenge > Teri's Women's Century Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (last edited Nov 25, 2017 02:51PM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments I'll take a stab at this and see how I do. I'm doing some other challenges so I'm able to do some double duty:

Round 1 (New and Known):

1920 - 1929: So Big by Edna Ferber - 1924 - Finished April 20, 2017
1930 - 1939: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston - 1937 Finished July 17, 2017
1940 - 1949: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - 1940 Finished October 12, 2017
1950 - 1959: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson - 1959 Finished October 29, 2017
1960 - 1969: On Death and Dying by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross - 1969 Finished November 25, 2017
1970 - 1979: The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom by Corrie ten Boom - 1971
1980 - 1989: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - 1986 Finished November 10, 2017
1990 - 1999: Possession by A.S. Byatt - 1990
2000 - 2009: The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan - 2001
2010 - 2017: Louisa: The Extraordinary Life of Mrs. Adams by Louisa Thomas - 2016

Round 2 (New only):

1920 - 1929: The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim - 1922 - Finished April 14, 2017
1930 - 1939: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - 1938 - Finished September 16, 2017
1940 - 1949: The Robber Bridegroom by Eudora Welty - 1942 - Finished September 17, 2017
1950 - 1959: Our Spoons Came from Woolworths by Barbara Comyns - 1950 - Finished October 24, 2017
1960 - 1969: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark - 1961 - Finished November 5, 2017
1970 - 1979: In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall - 1971
1980 - 1989: The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende - 1982
1990 - 1999: No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin - 1994 - Finished March 2, 2017
2000 - 2009: Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution by Diane McWhorter - 2002 - Finished June 21, 2017
2010 - 2017: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - 2013

We'll see how many of these I get done.

message 2: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Best of luck Teri! :)

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9433 comments Mod
Good luck with this one. Nice lists

message 4: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Thanks!

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina Teri!! Glad to see you here and glad you joined. I love your list and I might borrow some of these books or read them from pure enjoyment.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Good luck, you have some great selections on your list, I've read about half a dozen of them and they were all winners for me!

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments Good choices, Teri. The ones I've read were all excellent, and I'm reading Enchanted April this year too. Have fun!

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Nice list, Teri! You've chosen some good ones -- enjoy!

message 9: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Kathleen wrote: "Good choices, Teri. The ones I've read were all excellent, and I'm reading Enchanted April this year too. Have fun!"

I just read The Enchanted April and loved it!

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Yes, I enjoyed that one too!

message 11: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 225 comments I've read Possession and loved it. Their Eyes Were Watching God and The House of the Spirits have been on my TBR forever. That's pretty much all I'm familiar with from your list. :D

message 12: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Samanta wrote: "I've read Possession and loved it. Their Eyes Were Watching God and The House of the Spirits have been on my TBR forever. That's pretty much all I'm familiar with from your list. :D"

I've had the book Possession sitting on my shelves for such a long time. Looking forward to getting it read.

message 13: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 225 comments I think you will like the poetry in the book. My favourite is "Dolly keeps a secret". Love that poem so much!

message 14: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 499 comments Teri wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Good choices, Teri. The ones I've read were all excellent, and I'm reading Enchanted April this year too. Have fun!"

I just read The Enchanted April and loved it!"

One of my favourites as well. Love your list.

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Love the list, Teri......a good mix of books. I have read a few of them but not for quite a while. Maybe i need to dust off a few and do some re-reads.

message 16: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Thanks, Carolien

message 17: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Jill wrote: "Love the list, Teri......a good mix of books. I have read a few of them but not for quite a while. Maybe i need to dust off a few and do some re-reads."

Most of them were ones I had always planned to read. Good excuse to get to them.

message 18: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
You have some excellent selections. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Rebecca, The Handmaids Tale, and Atlas Shrugged were all solid reads for me. I struggled a little bit with The House of Spirits, still a good read. Good luck and enjoy.

message 19: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Bob wrote: "You have some excellent selections. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Rebecca, The Handmaids Tale, and Atlas Shrugged were all solid reads for me. I struggled a little bit with The House of Spirits, st..."

Thanks, Bob! So far I am enjoying all of the books I've read from the list. Most are ones I've meant to read for a long time.

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Teri wrote: "Bob wrote: "You have some excellent selections. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Rebecca, The Handmaids Tale, and Atlas Shrugged were all solid reads for me. I struggled a little bit with The House of..."

I agree with Bob Teri, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and Rebecca are excellent reads! Enjoy, happy reading! :)

message 21: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Loretta wrote: "Teri wrote: "Bob wrote: "You have some excellent selections. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Rebecca, The Handmaids Tale, and Atlas Shrugged were all solid reads for me. I struggled a little bit with..."

Thanks, Loretta!

message 22: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Teri wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Teri wrote: "Bob wrote: "You have some excellent selections. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Rebecca, The Handmaids Tale, and Atlas Shrugged were all solid reads for me. I struggled a..."

My pleasure! :)

message 23: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Knocked another one off the lis, Their Eyes Were Watching God. Rebecca will be up soon!

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I'm dying to read Rebecca but it will probably be next year for me.

I have The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on one of my challenges. We should do a buddy read.

message 25: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Sue wrote: "I'm dying to read Rebecca but it will probably be next year for me.

I have The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on one of my challenges. We should do a buddy read."

That would be great! I saw the movie many, many years ago and am looking forward to reading the book.

message 26: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Sue wrote: "I'm dying to read Rebecca but it will probably be next year for me.

I have The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on one of my challenges. We should do a buddy read."

I read this one already and I can truly say that I enjoyed the movie much more than the book and that usually never happens! I usually always like the book more! Hope you enjoy it more Sue! It's a pretty short book, so perhaps you can get Rebecca in too! 🤗

message 27: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments I am cranking through some of these books. I read Rebecca and The Robber Bridegroom this week and am on to The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

I did switch out Our Spoons Came from Woolworths for Atlas Shrugged as I saw Atlas Shrugged was 1100 pages and I don't think I can get that done this year with all that I still have / want to read. I think the Woolworths book will be more entertaining.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Oh shoot Teri, I completely forgot I had suggested a buddy read of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I read it already. I liked it okay but not as much as others.

I hope to read Rebecca next year.

message 29: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 16 comments Sue wrote: "Oh shoot Teri, I completely forgot I had suggested a buddy read of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I read it already. I liked it okay but not as much as others.

I hope to read Rebecca next year."

No worries! I think you'll like Rebecca!