Fantasy and Manga Lovers Unite discussion

Monthly Challenges > February "Love Is In The Air" Challenge 2017

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 327 comments Mod
Now that we have a few more members I thought we could start a monthly challenge. Since February is the month of love, i thought we could do a challenge all about love.

February Love Is In The Air Challenge
Duration: Feb. 1 - 28 2017

For this challenge you can choose to read a book in each topic, read several books in one topic, or do a mix. Just post how many books you plan to read and post updates as you go along.

“Romeo & Juliet” – Read a book about forbidden love. This can be between rival families/tribes/factions etc, inter-species or even incest if that is what your book is about.

“True Love” – Read a book about a couple that is “meant to be”, whether they are soulmate, lifemates, bondmates, whatever.

“Sibling Love” Read a book about siblings with a very strong bond (but not a romantic or sexual relationship). They can be brothers, sisters or a mix.

“Platonic Love” – Read a book about people who share a strong friendship that does not cross over into romantic love or a sexual relationship.

“Jealous Love” – Read a book about a jealous or controlling lover.

“Arranged Marriage” – read a book where a couple enter into an arranged marriage but end up loving one another.

“Love-Hate” – Read a book where a couple starts off hating one another and then finds they love each other and/or a book where a couple starts off deeply in love and ends up hating one another.

"Valentine's Day" - Read a book that takes place on or around Valentine's Day.

I will be joining this challenge with a goal of 5 books.

message 2: by Christina (last edited Feb 13, 2017 09:32AM) (new)

Christina I'm going to give this a try! Put me down for 5 books, too. I love how you included various kinds of non-romantic love.

“Sibling Love” - Brimstone Angels by Erin M. Evans. A book set in the D&D universe with several different types of relationships, but the most prominent one is between two sisters. When the quieter, more cautious sister who has always been the "well-behaved" one all their lives accidentally makes a pact with a devil, their dynamic is shifted and they struggle a bit with their identities.

message 3: by Jeana (new)

Love-Hate
Hawkwood's Voyage

1/5

message 4: by Christina (last edited Feb 14, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Christina “Platonic Love” -

Liselotte & Witch's Forest, Vol. 3

The romance at the center of the book is actually pretty heartwrenching, but it doesn't fit into any of these categories. I chose this one because of the servants' devotion to Liselotte.

2/5

message 5: by Christina (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:11AM) (new)

Christina Another one for "Sibling Love" - Blue Exorcist, Vol. 9

I enjoy the portrayal of the relationship between Rin and Yukio in this series, especially in this volume. It's so easy to forget that Yukio is also 15!

3/5

message 6: by Jeana (new)

That's a great example of sibling love! And twins to boot too! I like Blue Exorcist as well. Have you seen the anime?

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina "Romeo and Juliet" - A Match Made in Heaven

I read a few of these books, a western graphic novel series geared toward a younger audience. This was my favorite of the three I read, starring an aspiring manga artist and an angel.

4/5

I haven't seen the Blue Exorcist anime yet, although after reading about it in one of the manga bonus sections I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

message 8: by Jeana (new)

Platonic Love: Avila and Albrec - The Iron Wars

2/5

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina "Romeo and Juliet" - Romeo x Juliet Omnibus Doesn't get much more "Romeo and Juliet" than that!

5/5

message 10: by Jeana (new)

Nicely done Christina!