What is YA Fantasy? discussion

King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
This topic is about King's Cage
King's Cage: YA Fantasy Feature > YA Fantasy Feature- Theories, Predictions, Thoughts So Far

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kasey Spear-Feola (kc_spear) | 5 comments Mod
Um, TWELVE DAYS people!

Let's get this party started!

Tell Me:

- WHO is Team Cal and who is Team Maven (yes, that is a thing)? Why???

- We last left Mare Barrow with a collar at her neck and bowing to King Maven. Do we think that Mare will try to convert the King to her side now that is mother has duly departed ( bye, Felica )? Can Maven be redeemed?

- What do we make of Mare's prophecy to rise alone? Prophetic or self-fulfilling prophecy? How might have Glass Sword been different without those words ringing in her ears?

- My personal hope: Will Kilorn stop being so utterly irritating? (Admittedly, he was vastly improved by the end of Glass Sword.)

- What were some of your favorite moments in Glass Sword? What do you hope to see in King's Cage?

message 2: by KC (new) - added it

KC Collins | 1 comments - I am 100% Team Cal. How is Team Maven a thing?!?! This is like Team Jacob all over again, but with way more mommy issues.

- In my esteem, Maven cannot be redeemed, in part because he does not WANT redemption. He wants control; he has obsession, but he does not think he is wrong or that his actions are in any way evil.

- I can't appropriately answer how Glass Sword might be different without Mare's personal prophecy because it's been quite awhile since I read. I'll read again and respond accordingly.

- Ugh. No. For as much as I adore YA, I am tired of childhood friends getting huffy and covetous of one another. Deal with your issues. Or eat a pound cake or something and have a good cry.

- Will read again and post an answer of substance at that time. :)

Whitney Lyons | 1 comments - I am with KC, how is Team Maven even a thing? Team Cal 100%.

- Maven cannot be redeemed in my opinion, and again to echo KC, mainly because he doesn't want redemption. However, I do Mare will try to convert him. For whatever reason she seems to think there is still good in him. I don't see it. For me, there are some actions that are too terrible to come back from and what he did is one of them.

- I honestly do not remember the prophecy either, I'm sorry!

- Kilorn will forever remind me of Jacob. He never stopped annoying me, so neither will Kilorn.

- For me, this is a bit of a loaded question. I overall enjoyed Glass Sword, but I LOVED Red Queen. I have SO many favorite parts of Red Queen that I'm not sure I can even begin to list off. However, Glass Sword didn't captivate me in the same way. It was good, but it wasn't great for me. I'm hoping King's Cage captures some of what I absolutely loved in Red Queen and captivates me again!

Kasey Spear-Feola (kc_spear) | 5 comments Mod
Not to sound like an infamous horror movie but:

Seven days until we join Mare in King's Cage!

In the spirit of anticipation, I'm posting a few of my favorite lines from Glass Sword. Feel free to add your own!

1. "Mare of the Stilts died the day she fell onto a lightning shield. Mareena, the lost Silver princess, died in the Bowl of Bones. And I don’t know what new person opened her eyes on the Undertrain."

Note: Personally, I'm a little wary of the Mare born on the Undertrain. She ran hot and cold for me. I'd thought she'd learned her lesson and felt regret when the rebels bombed the party. But she still thinks in the manner of an extremist. I understand the injustices done to those with red blood are innumberable, but I had hoped to see an emerging moral (corny though it may sound) that people of both red and silver blood are needed to better the world.

2. "I thought the world would change you, but instead”—she tips her head, smiling like a cat—“you changed a little bit of the world."

3. "I stare at my hands, painted in both colors of blood."

That's all for now! Is anyone rereading the series in preparation for King's Cage's release?