Proud Readers of Great Stories discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
January - Whole Month Read > Anansi Boys Week 4: Chapters 12 - 14

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
This is the last leg everyone! Are we still reading?

message 2: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) No, but I did finish!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) So did I & I loved it!

message 4: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Rydell | 94 comments Mod
Finishing up. It's a little different from what I'm used to reading.

message 5: by Tere (new)

Tere Fredericks I finished and absolutely loved it. So much so, in fact, I'm now reading American Gods. I see why you don't need to have read this one first. Thanks to everyone who voted for this one (I did not, LOL) because it was an amazing read!

message 6: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Tere wrote: "I see why you don't need to have read this one first."

Yeah, same universe, but after having read both, I have no idea which one comes first. The stories do not intersect, beyond Anansi having a bit part in both.

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I have American Gods & will probably read it soon. Have any of you read The Graveyard Book? It's probably my favorite Gaiman book.

message 8: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Martha wrote: "Have any of you read The Graveyard Book?"

No, but I have it and I'll be reading within the next couple months. I've seen him talk about where the idea came from and it's a great story.

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I hope you enjoy it. I'm ready to read it again. Maybe American Gods first.

message 10: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Martha wrote: "I hope you enjoy it. I'm ready to read it again. Maybe American Gods first."

Well, I really enjoyed Anansi Boys and American Gods, but I think I was more intensely effected by The Ocean at the End of the Lane. That's been the most powerful one, I think, so far.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments I loved this story the first time I read it and I love it even more this time!

message 12: by Eivette (new)

Eivette Martinez | 11 comments I didn't like it. I stopped after chapter 11.

message 13: by Armani (new)

Armani Porterfield | 9 comments Eivette wrote: "I didn't like it. I stopped after chapter 11."

I know what you mean. I couldn't get into it either. It was a little wild for my taste.

message 14: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
Yes! This one was a bit strange for me. I guess I prefer stories that are more rooted in reality. I found the humor to be a bit off, and the whole story was kind of all over the place.

message 15: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) Letitgo wrote: " I guess I prefer stories that are more rooted in reality."

I fully appreciate that we all have different tastes, but I don't understand this statement. Your favourites include Harry Potter, Narnia, and The Hunger Games... all of which are huge leaps and jumps aside from reality.

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Our diversity is what makes our discussions interesting. I love mysteries, but I'm reading one now that is really boring. I will finish because I'm 80% in. Should have dropped it right away. LOL Hope you like the next book or 2. :-)

message 17: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Story | 7 comments Yeah, I like fantasy and science fiction books too but didn't like this one. I just couldn't get into it.

message 18: by Marvel (new)

Marvel Childs | 3 comments Anna wrote: "I loved this story the first time I read it and I love it even more this time!"

I loved it too. I thought it was a wild ride. But maybe an acquired taste.

message 19: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Rydell | 94 comments Mod
Martha wrote: "Our diversity is what makes our discussions interesting. I love mysteries, but I'm reading one now that is really boring. I will finish because I'm 80% in. Should have dropped it right away. LOL Ho..."

Diversity? I'm all for that, and differing opinions.

message 20: by John (new)

John Winston (johndarrylwinston) | 100 comments Mod
Haha! I see a difference of opinions. Sweet! The jury's still out for me on this one. I have two chapters to read then I'll get started on the marathon that is The Count of Monte Christo.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.