Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

Modern Romance

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I'm a bit into the book and it calls to mind a few podcasts I've listened to recently.

The entire DTR podcast (Define the Relationship) by Gimlet media is about this modern dating stuff. I just finished the first season.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/d...

I especially recommend the episode "Unexpected Places."

I also just listened to the Operation Match episode of the Undone podcast which is about one of the computer matching services in the 60s. Good stuff.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/u...

Check 'em out.

message 2: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments Just started listening to this book in audio form. It's Great in audio!

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments It was very, very funny on audio -- read by Ansari, who added many hilarious asides (insults to the "lazy turds" listening to instead of reading his book, comments on the accents he uses for various people he's quoting, etc) and whose voice & delivery were so perfect for this material.
I was impressed by the serious research he (or mostly his co-author?) did for the book, loved all his digressions into food and dining out here & abroad, and laughed out loud as I listened (even while cringing at the language, crudeness, or sexual frankness). For an oldie like me, the exploration into millennial digital obsession, new dating (or hooking up) culture & protocols, etc, was like listening to an account of someone returning from an alien (but fascinating) world.

message 4: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments This is the perfect book to discuss during a round of drinks and hors d'oeuvres (Who's turn is it for treats anyway?

message 5: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments This is the perfect book to discuss during a round of drinks and hors d'oeuvres (Who's turn is it for treats anyway?

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I'm on treats though I didn't think we could drink at the library...

Hope to see everyone tonight at 7pm!

message 7: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments For some reason, my entire review of this book did not post. Fortunately, I have a copy of my thoughts. I am taking one more try to post this again. This is the perfect book to discuss during a round of drinks and hors d'oeuvres (Who's turn is it for treats anyway?

message 8: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Here is the rest of Donna's comments re Modern Romance: Aziz Ansari reads  the audio book himself and does a really good job  too, throwing in his sense of humor from time to time. For example. Before beginning to read the book, Arizi plays soft cozy music as he chastises the listener for being too lazy to read the book! In the end, he thanks us. I agree with all the comments Lucy made. Thank God someone else listened to this book besides  me! I laughed out loud too. Boy did I laugh out loud! I wonder what Eric Klineberg thought of Aziz's presentation of the book. I think Aziz made a good point showing how much we now rely on technology these days. As much as I use my iPhone for just about everything, I was amazed by the things I Learned listening to this book. The only social media I participate in is Facebook. I also emailed quite a bit. I thought about Twitter. But after reading two books on the subject, Predator by Terri Blackstock, and a month ago,   So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Robson, I turned chicken! Or maybe wiser! To sum it up, it was a great book and I liked it!

message 9: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments ThanksLucy!!