January 2017: Foreign Literature > Britt Marie Was Here - Backman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman

Britt Marie Was Here - Backman
Audio performance by J Walker
4 stars

It took me a long while to warm up to Ove in Backman’s first book, but I think I loved Britt Marie from the first page. It’s true, she was probably more exasperating and annoying to everyone else, but I loved her. She has backbone and standards; a rigid backbone and judgmental standards, but there’s much to be said for her perseverance. She was so clearly in pain.

This book may be a bit darker than A Man Called Ove. Borg is such a dismal place. It would take more than Britt Marie and a box of baking soda to solve the problems of poverty and neglect. At least you would think so.

She doesn’t solve all of the problems, but she leaves her mark. There’s a good balance of triumph and tragedy, humor and pathos. I liked the ending and I wonder where Britt Marie might turn up next.

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really liked this book, it took me a while to warm up to her, but in the end I loved Britt Marie.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I really liked this book, it took me a while to warm up to her, but in the end I loved Britt Marie."

I agree! I also think she qualifies as a quirky character.

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2217 comments I loved this one too (and identified strongly with Britt Marie).

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments Ellen wrote: "I loved this one too (and identified strongly with Britt Marie)."

I think I did too. I have fond memories of being turned into a soccer team mom when I had no previous experience of the game.