75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2017 GR Challenge) > Amy P's 75 for 2017

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy J. (last edited Feb 21, 2017 05:53AM) (new)

message 2: by Amy J. (last edited Jan 25, 2017 08:52AM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Becoming Mary: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel by Amy Street

1. I enjoyed reading about Mary Bennett's personal journey to become much less ridiculous than she was during Pride and Prejudice. That said, at times the story was tedious and predictable and it lacked the magic that Austen's original work has for me.

Becoming Mary A Pride and Prejudice Sequel by Amy Street

message 3: by Amy J. (last edited Jan 25, 2017 08:53AM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen by Sybil G. Brinton ***

2. Widely recognized as the first Jane Austen sequel, it has an interesting premise: the friendships and love matches formed between characters of the different Austen novel, which creates one broad Austen universe. The focus is mostly on the characters of P&P, specifically Kitty Bennett and Georgianna Darcy; characters from other books have mostly supporting roles. It's listed as only being 250 pages, but it felt at least double that.

Old Friends and New Fancies An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen  by Sybil G. Brinton

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7513 comments Mod
Those both sound like fun books!

message 5: by Amy J. (last edited Jan 27, 2017 05:25PM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr ****

3. This was a very good book, but I wasn't blown away with it like other people apparently were. It took me quite a long time to get into it. I must spent over a month on the first 150 pages. Then I read the remaining 350 pages in a single sitting.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

message 6: by Amy J. (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:10PM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments 4. Feversong by Karen Marie Moning ***

I have had a hard time deciding how to rate this. the first 5 books in the series are my favorite Adult book series. Then came the second part of the series, which started with Iced. The series took a horrid turn at that point, and I haven't enjoyed a book in the series since. Until this one. I really got caught up in it. I felt the magic of the series return. I was invested in the story. I'd give 5 stars if it weren't for one horrible, stomach-churning factor. This book contributes to rape culture. Ms. Moning paints herself and her plot into a corner where the only recourse is to the main character justify her own brutal rape and downplay is "evilness".

Torn between a 5 star rating for most of the book, and a 1 star rating for the aforementioned factor, I give this book three stars, though such a rating fails to both its engaging and horrendous natures.

Feversong (Fever, #9) by Karen Marie Moning

message 7: by Amy J. (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:15PM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments 5. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood *****

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books, and Atwood is one of my favorite authors. I think this is the 4 or 5 time I've read the book. They're making it into an Hulu series soon so it felt like it was time to read it again. But I've been leery about reading dystopian novels right now, since, every time I turn on the news, I feel as though I am living in one. This book feels especially creepy to me now. There are too many things I can relate to, particularly the feeling that I am "living in the white spaces between the stories. What horrors will I see when I turn on the news tonight?

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 8: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Amy J. wrote: "5. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood *****

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books, and Atwood is one of my favorite authors. I think this is the 4 or 5 tim..."

Yes, it's eerie how life is beginning to feel like a dystopian novel...and scary. 1984 much? Yikes!

message 9: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4071 comments Mod
This book is booming right now with the movie coming out soon.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I think it's going to be Hulu series.

message 11: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Elyse wrote: "I think it's going to be Hulu series."

Yes, I'm going to have to get Hulu so I can watch it. I think it comes out toward the end of April.

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4071 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I think it's going to be Hulu series."

Oh right!! Now I remember seeing the add for Hulu. They must have realized how much money Orange is the New Black is making for Netflix and had to get in on it...lol

message 13: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1393 comments I know Hulu also did an adaptation of 11/22/63. Maybe after this one comes out I'll get just a month of Hulu so I can binge both of them.

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "I know Hulu also did an adaptation of 11/22/63. Maybe after this one comes out I'll get just a month of Hulu so I can binge both of them."

Good idea!

message 15: by Amy J. (last edited Feb 21, 2017 06:08AM) (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments 1984 by George Orwell *****

I'm keeping my rating of this novels at 5 stars not because I enjoyed it so much this read through, but rather because I enjoyed it immensely in the past. This time it was tough to get though. I kept getting pulled from the story by all the parallels I see between the Party and the current administration. I think 1984 is their playbook or instruction manual. Scary. Anyway, I think I'm going to lay off the dystopian speculative fiction for a while. I'll go read something fluffy and mindless.

1984 by George Orwell

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Amy J. wrote: "1984 by George Orwell *****

I'm keeping my rating of this novels at 5 stars not because I enjoyed it so much this read through, but rather because I enjoyed it immensely ..."

Extremely scary how relevant this book is today.