Challenge Corner discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Archives! > A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab->February 2017 Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments There was a tie in our poll this month, so this is one of our options for the book of the month. Please discuss the book with other readers, hiding spoilers when needed.

Blurb
Kell is one of the last travelers--magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel universes connected by one magical city.

There's Grey London, dirty and boring, without any magic, and with one mad King--George III. Red London, where life and magic are revered--and where Kell was raised alongside Rhy Maresh, the roguish heir to a flourishing empire. White London--a place where people fight to control magic and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. And once upon a time, there was Black London. But no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red traveler, ambassador of the Maresh empire, carrying the monthly correspondences between the royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.

Aline Alves (thebestofaly) | 9 comments I'm so excited for this one! I'll be reading it as soon as I can!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Great, Aline! Hope you enjoy it!

Aline Alves (thebestofaly) | 9 comments C P wrote: "Great, Aline! Hope you enjoy it!"

Thanks!

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments I actually tried to start this in December and tried all of January to finish it but sadly didn't. So hopefully I can now! :D

message 6: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 7 comments There's a long line at the library for this, but I managed to swipe a copy elsewhere! It's been on my TBR list and I'm excited. Sounds right up my alley.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I hope you enjoy it, Amber!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I'm joining! I'm doing a reread of the series to prepare for the last book!

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 455 comments I had read so much reviews about these trilogy, I hope I like it! I can't wait to read it

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I hope you do as well, Circe!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) Just got my hands on a copy of this from the library, I might not get to it for a week, but I'm excited!

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Hope you enjoy it, Kaylin!

message 13: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 7 comments Does any one else want Kell's coat?

message 14: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I did really like that coat when I read this.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm going to start this today...looks like a good book. When I set up to BR with Melany I didn't realize this was BOTM. I need to start paying more attention to those. That's part of my Reading Resolutions also, read more BOTM books!

message 16: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Hope you enjoy it!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I've started I'm rereading it! I love Kell so much and I love the magic in this book (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm only on Chapter 2 and I can already tell this is going to be a good book!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments That's a good sign!! I'm up to part 2

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Starting tonight. :)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Great Lisa! The more the merrier!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Awesome!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I'm up to part 5 (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments So I didn't get very far last night. Still on Part 1 Chapter 2. I'm going to try to get some reading done before I have to run around today.

It looks like you got pretty far Melany...how are you liking it?

How about you Lisa? Did you get to start it yet?

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I'm loving it! How are you liking it!

message 26: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 7 comments I've got a little over 100 pages left! A quick read, indeed.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I'm up to part 9 (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm only on Chapter 2 of Part 2! I haven't had much time to read. But I like it so far.

I love how the author came up with different versions of London. She has a pretty creative imagination!
And Amber, I definitely wouldn't mind Kell's Coat. How cool would that be to turn your coat inside out a couple of times and end up with a completely new and different style coat. Wish I could do that with some of my clothes!

I have a bad feeling about Hollands visit to Prince Rhy. If it were under good circumstances I don't see the need for Holland to have Rhy's guards forget they had seen him.

How are you liking it so far Amber?

You are probably close to finishing it I bet Melany?

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Yeah I am love Kell's Coat!! Have you meet Lila yet?

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments No I haven't met Lila yet. From one of the reviews I had read she's going to be a big part of the book as well.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments She's Amazing!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Melany wrote: "I'm up to part 5 [spoilers removed]"

I just got to Part 5 and I have a bad feeling about the letter. The Danes freak me out and Holland does to it but he is forced to be a freak I guess.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm up to Part 6, Chapter 3. Lila and Kells relationship is going to be very intense and interesting I bet. They are both strong willed and like to push boundaries. They are too much alike.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Part 7 Chapter 1

I'm wondering if Kell noticing Lila had one eye lighter than the other is going to be significant later on?
This is a pretty good book so far.
(view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I'm up to part 12 (view spoiler)

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments I finished! I love this book, does anyone what to read A Gathering of Shadows with me?

message 37: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 7 comments I love it so far! Oooo, yes I wonder if Rhy and Holland meeting is significant, but since I'm at part 11, I'm sure I'll find out soon.

I would love to read the second one! I already ordered it from the library and it's ready.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'd like to also but my son is coming home for a visit from The Navy this week (I'm so excited!!) and won't be able to get to it right away. If you can wait till next weekend I can join in. But if you guys want to start right away I totally understand.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Awesome when would you guys like to read it? Unfortunately I can't wait til next week because the third book comes out next week and I want to have A Gathering of Shadows done before that.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm going to see if I can get a copy and read with you guys. It may be slow going (I was kinda slow with this too, had tons to do before my son comes home!) but I'll try to keep up. Let's start Friday, if I can't get a copy I'll let you know.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Melany wrote: "I'm up to part 9 [spoilers removed]"

I hate Holland. I know The Danes are part to blame, but Holland is not innocent!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Part 9 Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Is Friday Ok with you too Amber?

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Colleen wrote: "Part 9 Chapter 1 [spoiler removed] "
I bet he did!!!

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Colleen wrote: "I'm going to see if I can get a copy and read with you guys. It may be slow going (I was kinda slow with this too, had tons to do before my son comes home!) but I'll try to keep up. Let's start Fri..."

Friday works for me!

message 46: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Cotton (rosellasweet) | 7 comments Sure! I'll see if I can finish by Friday. Saturday for the latest. I was planning on reading all this weekend.

Melany (snowborn) | 839 comments Awesome!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I already have a copy of a A Gathering of Shadows on my Nook! I forgot I had already downloaded it. So I'm all set for Friday. :)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Part 10 Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 26) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Part 10 Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.