All About Books discussion

Night Waking
This topic is about Night Waking
Group Reads - Fiction > Night Waking by Sarah Moss (Feb 17 Group Fiction Read)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shirley | 4177 comments Please feel free to discuss our February choice here!

message 2: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments I quite fancy this. Have reserved it at the library.

message 3: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ None of our area libraries have it and have a book buying ban on. Does sound good though.

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink Just reserved at my library, looking forward to trying her writing, as last year I heard nothing but good things about The Tidal Zone

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11470 comments Mod
Just bought this for my kindle, can't wait to get started on it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this a few years back and enjoyed it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts but won't be joining in the reread

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 53 comments Pink wrote: "Just reserved at my library, looking forward to trying her writing, as last year I heard nothing but good things about The Tidal Zone"
Ty for the heads up on The Tidal Zone.

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11470 comments Mod
If I finish the kindle book I'm reading now, I hope to start this one tonight.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments Just ordered this one - should be able to start it by the weekend!

Shirley | 4177 comments I have a copy of this so hope to start soon.

message 11: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments I'm picking my copy up from the library tomorrow

message 12: by Karin (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:44PM) (new)

Karin | 1923 comments I have a copy from the library, but have a few books I need to finish first as I am in a big challenge.

message 13: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13031 comments Mod
It seems complicated to find this book here... And I don't know if I want to buy it ... I'll see if I can manage to join in, but I'm not sure

Leslie | 15985 comments I have put in my request at the library - hopefully will get the book within the next week as it shows on the website as available.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Unfortunately this one isn't available on Audible in my region; so I can't listen to it on my commute. I'm still trying to get a hard copy but not sure if I'll get around to it in time. My non-commute reading time is pretty limited at the moment!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments I had a hard time finding this book as well. No local libraries in my area had it, Even on Amazon, it was only available as a book.

message 17: by Greg (last edited Feb 22, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Terry wrote: "I had a hard time finding this book as well. No local libraries in my area had it, Even on Amazon, it was only available as a book."

I wish publishers didn't have so many restrictions with regions when it comes to different formats. I understand the marketing reasons, but as a reader, it can be very frustrating!

message 18: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments Am finding this quite slow. Will persevere.

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm about 26% through. I like the way the bleakness and harshness of the island mirrors her current experience of motherhood. Her constant exhaustion and tiredness means her own outlook is bleak.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments I just finished a few books and will read more of this one now - love the funny descriptions of walking barefoot in the dark around "landmines" in her house!

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Terry wrote: "I just finished a few books and will read more of this one now - love the funny descriptions of walking barefoot in the dark around "landmines" in her house!"

lol Terry, I can relate to that!

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm struggling with this a bit, I'm over half way through and it's quite slow, nothing much is happening at the moment.

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink You're still doing better than me Shirley, I read two pages and set it down again to try another day. There seems to be consensus that it's a slow read, so perhaps I'll try it again in a few days when I have more time on my hands.

message 24: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Feb 23, 2017 05:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments What the heck is Anna, the protagonist, supposed to be writing about? I can't make heads or tails out of her writing excerpts.
She definitely needs some sleep.
I keep getting the impression that even though her toddler is excessively demanding, she gives in to him without thinking.
From his reactions, I think her husband thinks that she brings those all night rituals (reading, singing, holding her son until she can't feel her arms) upon herself.

message 25: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Feb 24, 2017 04:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments Well, Anna is not a totally reliable narrator and she's not even completely likable, but I think the character this author created is unfortunately realistic. Some people embrace the challenges of parenthood and others (like me) need to constantly work on their aversion to not being able to do whatever they want, when they want - her husband Giles, is guilty of this as well. He is conveniently absorbed in his work, so he doesn't have to deal with his wife or kids, if he doesn't want to. Giles would argue that Anna takes the night wakings, etc upon herself, but it is clear that he values his job over hers. He can spend up to 12 hours a day watching the puffins, but she must do her writing in whatever spare moments she can find between childcare and household duties.
Even with the police investigation, I think this novel is more of a character study of the couple, their children and the local island people than a fast paced crime drama.

message 26: by Greg (last edited Feb 24, 2017 06:06AM) (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Terry wrote: "Well, Anna is not a totally reliable narrator and she's not even completely likable, but I think the character this author created is unfortunately realistic. Some people embrace the challenges of ..."

Some great insights Terry! I wasn't able to obtain a copy of this book through my library, but I like your posts here. These tradeoffs and tensions are definitely some of the things my friends with small children face with their spouses.

Shirley | 4177 comments I have just finished this, and I've given it 3 stars, downgraded from a 4 because I did find some parts a bit tedious (some of Anna's writing and her research) and yet the book deals very well with the struggles of parenthood and the desperate tiredness which accompanies it. I agree with Terry, this isn't a crime drama or mystery, it's a study of how a couple deal with parenthood and deal with their own desires for time, whether to work, or just find time to be themselves.

My children are now adults, yet I remember so well how having young children makes you realise how selfish you are, makes you examine yourself for your real motives and you find out things about yourself that you really don't like. And yet I would turn back the clock in an instant, and do it all again.

I liked the contrast between Anna's family and Zoe and her parents. I liked the back story too, with the letters from the past, but the crime investigation was more there for the sake of highlighting Anna's "neglecting" of the children, although I think this was more her guilt that she thought she was neglecting them, than that she actually was. Anna, as an unreliable narrator, was seeing herself not as others really saw her, but through her own paranoia, brought on by a desperate lack of sleep.

Parts of this were so real, and so tender, that it was very moving to read. And yet other parts were very slow and harder to read, and for this reason, I have given it 3 stars, not 4. I would recommend it, but I don't consider it an easy read.

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink Thanks for updating us with your thoughts Shirley. I still haven't got past the first couple of pages and think I might give this a miss now. It sounds good, just not for me at the moment.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments Shirley wrote: "I have just finished this, and I've given it 3 stars, downgraded from a 4 because I did find some parts a bit tedious (some of Anna's writing and her research) and yet the book deals very well with..."

I agree, Shirley - I think Anna is harder on herself than anyone is.

message 31: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim (kimborams) | 214 comments Finished this yesterday and glad to do so. Had high hopes but sadly was disillusioned. Only gave it 2 stars (4/10). As a male reader, I think it was more aimed at a female readership who can perhaps appreciate Anna's situation more than I was able to. But, as some have said, I found having to read Anna's research was tedious, although not totally irrelevant to what was going on in the book.
My review is here:-
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Leslie | 15985 comments Here is my review:

Pink wrote: "Thanks for updating us with your thoughts Shirley. I still haven't got past the first couple of pages and think I might give this a miss now. It sounds good, just not for me at the moment."

I found that the book was one that picked up after a while, Pink, if you are ever interested enough to try again. I would have willingly walked away from it after the first few chapters but I am glad I didn't now that I have finished.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 552 comments Leslie wrote: "Here is my review:

Pink wrote: "Thanks for updating us with your thoughts Shirley. I still haven't got past the first couple of pages and think I ..."

I'm glad you ended up enjoying this book - I really liked it and I kind of sympathized with Anna because the author made her so believeable, bad parts of her character and all.

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink My problem was I had too many other books on the go and not enough time to push through a slower read that didn't grab me from the beginning. I do this too much! I was intrigued by her writing style, so I might try it again later.