Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Horror-Literature by Non-English/American writers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments I'll be interested in reading any comments on this subject, too! I don't think I've read any horror written by non-English speaking writers, but I'd sure love to. I'll have to check out Hoffmann, and see if any of his books have been translated to English.

I've got the Ringu book on my TBR shelf. There's another book called The Graveyard Apartment that looks good, too, but I haven't read it yet.

message 2: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments Franz wrote: "
Right now I read and enjoy the second book of the Ringu-Series by Koji Suzuki. ."

Rampo Edogawa

A modern classic Japanese mystery writer whose tales often cross over into the macabre.

message 3: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments One of the most prominent Swedish horror writers should be John Ajvide Lindqvist (Let the Right One In).

There are even more Japanese writers that come to my mind, for example Koushun Takami (Battle Royale), albeit most of the japanese horror writers known to me are mangaka:

Junji Ito
Kohta Hirano
Kazuo Umezu
Hideo Yamamoto
Hiroya Oku
Hitoshi Iwaaki
Tsutomu Nihei

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments I'd like to read more books in French. I'm trying to read a police procedural/ serial killer type book, but it's slow-going. Apparently, French immersion does not prepare you with a very good vocab for autopsies. Who knew?

message 5: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments William Beckford, author of Vathek.

Vathek is an Arabian gothic fantasy from the late 18th century. The author was an Englishman, but he wrote the original in the French language and it was only later translated into English by one Reverend Samuel Henley.

message 6: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments A late master of weird speculative fiction:

Argentina's Jorge Luis Borges (The Aleph and Other Stories)

He actually dedicated one of his stories, There Are More Things, to H. P. Lovecraft.

message 7: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments As a horror maniac, I found these a bit disappointing, but according to the author herself, these are supposed to be eerie stories:

Marie Luise Kaschnitz(Vogel Rock: unheimliche Geschichten)

A German splatterpunk writer of dubious taste:

Marc Gore (The Terror Compilation)

Gottfried Benn and his expressionistic Morgue poetry cycle might be interesting for HAs, too:

Gottfried Benn (Morgue und andere Gedichte)

message 8: by Kelly B (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:51PM) (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments Thanks for adding that, Franz! I just increased my TBR list by a bit.....

message 9: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments I thought about it and think Franz Kafka needs a mention here. The Metamorphosis might have been one of the earliest pieces of body horror.

message 10: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments Ekel wrote: "I thought about it and think Franz Kafka needs a mention here. The Metamorphosis might have been one of the earliest pieces of body horror."

I read his book of short stories a few years ago, and there were definitely a few in there that I'd classify as horror! I hadn't realized he was so "out there". I loved the short stories, and plan to read his novels someday.