What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA- teen, written in the 90's. Boy is half Maori. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 59 comments Story is set in Australia or New Zealand. Girl is sent to live with her Aunt (possibly one or other is called Sarah). They live on / near a mountain. Higher up the mountain lives an old man who everyone calls Pop and his son who is half Maori. I think Pop tells the girl that the boy may or may not be his son but was abandoned by the mother. Boy and girl go to same high school become friends and then Pop dies. Boy is grieving

Spoilers

Boy tells girl that she doesn't understand. Girl says she does, she had given birth to a daughter but the daughter died. Boy then says it's not the same cos she never really knew the baby. Girl tells him to eff off and runs off. Boy is immediately sorry so chases after her to apologise but he has hurt his ankle somehow so can't go too fast luckily she stops for him and they make up

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments This one has a Sarah. Flight of the Albatross

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 59 comments Bump

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments The Listmaker The Listmaker by Robin Klein fits a bit.

Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period story takes place?

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 59 comments Sorry I don't remember the cover. As far as I know it was a stand alone. The time period was short - about a year and I guess the ages of the girl and boy were 16/17/18

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4162 comments Secret Lives?
Gray's Valley High School resembles many another teenage institution but is in New Zealand. The situation is familiar: two of its students, both of them with problems, find a solution of sorts in each other. The girl, in retreat from an unhappy episode is sheltered by that modern good fairy, the artistic, eccentric aunt; the young man, rather older, is a handsome Maori making a poor living for himself and his blind father on half-scrub. Student parties are, of course, permissive, but different attitudes are manifest in private, where the Maori finds an uneasy acceptance as group member and censorious gossip prevails.
The School Librarian, Vol. 42–43, 1994

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 59 comments Ayshe that's it! You're a star! Thank you so much