Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Potential blurb

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4305 comments Mod
Potential blurb for the upcoming Ambrosia Corazón-Reine's Writing It Right For Writers:

This is not your Mama's writing guide.

In a world plagued with writing guides full of worthless advice by pretentious authors comes the most pretentious and worthless writer's guide of them all. Laugh along at Ambrosia as she attempts to explain the art of writing and why you should have no place in it. When finished, forget everything she said to you and go write a great novel.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Dwayne wrote: "Potential blurb for the upcoming Ambrosia Corazón-Reine's Writing It Right For Writers:

This is not your Mama's writing guide.

In a world plagued with writing guides full of worthless advice by p..."

Whoa, that is inspirational. I want to write now because of you, thanks.

message 3: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 99 comments To me blurb writing is awful! I hate trying to do it lol so I am no expert that being said I completely love it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ember wrote: "To me blurb writing is awful! I hate trying to do it lol so I am no expert that being said I completely love it!"

Agreed.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Hi Dwayne!

Great blurb, love it, want to read it! One suggestion. How about the end of the last sentence being "go write that great novel." As if to push people to write "that" novel they have in them.

Huge hugs!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I love that you start with "In a world" because now I can't read it in anything except movie trailer guy's voice.

message 8: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Sam, I agree. I think the word "that" would work well in there. Thanks!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:24PM) (new)

For the first sentence, this isn't important or anything but I was wondering what it meant? Just a random question.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Mr Dwayne, you're getting boss at writing punchy blurbs. Dig.

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Trelas wrote: "For the first sentence, this isn't important or anything but I was wondering what it meant? Just a random question."

Well, that came about when I was talking about the project with the other mods a few days ago, saying there's more sex, violence and profanity in this than in your average writing guide. I made the comment, "this ain't your Mama's writing guide" and I liked the sound of it.

message 12: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Annie wrote: "Mr Dwayne, you're getting boss at writing punchy blurbs. Dig."

I really need to go back and rewrite some of my old ones. I know they are terrible.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments It hooks.

Just wondered...

In a world plagued by............. comes

Feels kind of odd and jarring. If that was the intention then I'm a prat.

Otherwise

Maybe

From a world

Or

In a world........... welcome to the

message 14: by Lizel (new)

Lizel Harvey | 9 comments I love your blurb, it makes me want to read more. Sounds quirky and fun, not dreary as some books can be. Well done

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Dwayne wrote: "Trelas wrote: "For the first sentence, this isn't important or anything but I was wondering what it meant? Just a random question."

Well, that came about when I was talking about the project with ..."

Thanks for responding.

message 16: by Angel (new)

Angel | 216 comments Dear Dwayne, always with such flawless humor. Love it!

message 17: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Thank you, everyone. Question for Jane, though. I'm not sure where you are suggesting to put the words "welcome to the"?

Basically, what I'm doing is mimicking old movie trailers where they started with "In a world..." I'm not fully sold on the idea, yet, though.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments authors welcome to the most pretentious

And that's kinda where I thought you were coming from, it's an intriguing hook

message 19: by P.L. (new)

P.L. Winn (plwinn) | 14 comments This is simply brilliant. Well done!

message 20: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Love it! No changes beyond the "that" mentioned earlier.